Author Topic: Xfinity Constant Guard?  (Read 16501 times)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Xfinity Constant Guard?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 09:12:31 PM »
Comcast and Xfinity are the same ISP.  When I have a problem with any of my services and a tech comes here to fix it the van the tech drives has Xfinity written on it.
i recomend you uninstall avast and use Comcast full service...Norton / Xfinity.......then this nice man will come home to you evry time you have a problem and fix it for you   ;)

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 09:15:00 PM by Pondus »

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 09:19:55 PM »
Comcast and Xfinity are the same ISP.  When I have a problem with any of my services and a tech comes here to fix it the van the tech drives has Xfinity written on it.
i recomend you uninstall avast and use Comcast full service...Norton / Xfinity.......then this nice man will come home to you evry time you have a problem and fix it for you   ;)

Have a nice day.   :)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 12:47:12 AM »
I've been a Comcast (Xfinity) customer for 25+ years.
I don't use their "Constant Guard" which doesn't change the fact that
Constant Guard does not include Norton 360. It is available from Comcast
free of charge to all those of us for whom Comcast is our ISP.
Originally they offered us a free copy of McAfee but that didn't last long and they changed over to Norton 360.
Thanks but no thanks, avast! Free is good enough for me....  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 12:53:52 AM »
I've been a Comcast (Xfinity) customer for 25+ years.
I don't use their "Constant Guard" which doesn't change the fact that
Constant Guard does not include Norton 360. It is available from Comcast
free of charge to all those of us for whom Comcast is our ISP.
Originally they offered us a free copy of McAfee but that didn't last long and they changed over to Norton 360.
Thanks but no thanks, avast! Free is good enough for me....  :)

I don't use their "Constant Guard" either nor would I want Norton installed.  I don't know whether he was serious or not but Pondus recommended I uninstall Avast and install Norton.

Offline badass

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 01:39:43 AM »
Okay guys lets not get to worked up, after all we are not at work now, well that I know of LOL.  I didn't even know that there was two different software I was asking about here, Constant Guard and Norton.  Can anyone tell me which one is better avast or Norton.  Then the whole Constant Guard thing what the heck is that? or I should say why would I need it LOL.  I already have Google Chrome for my passwords and it seems that it will all just be more complication for me.  I was told once before that I should NOT use avast with MSE but I was sure I read somewhere that I could run the two together.  I did this for a while and had no issues and no virus's. 

It just would seem to me that the Norton is a bigger tool for lack of better term.  Perhaps this is because one has lot's of advertising and cost's a lot of money I don't know.  The other issue is that I am kinda paying for it, so are they just taking advantage of human nature to get me into some kind of  marketing ploy?  I like avast, it's simple and pretty effective, and I would surely come back for my free or payed version if I were to choose C.G. or Norton now.  Thanks for the feedback guys and I would love to hear more on the subject as Comcast is huge and others must wonder the same about this option.
Dell 660S, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, Intel Core i3 3240, 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Avast Free

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 02:01:18 AM »
@badass,
You've already gotten my reply and I highly doubt that anyone of the avast! users would recommend you change. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Gargamel360

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2014, 02:03:32 AM »
This is the Avast! forum. If you do not say Avast! is best, I think a kitten might die or something equally sad.

The best AV is the one that fits what you want, really, and that comes down to trying them out to see if they fit, thats why they offer free trials.

Avast! fits me fine for years now.

Offline badass

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2014, 02:14:56 AM »
I understand guys thanks.  I just went over to the comcast site and see a lot of negative stuff about CG and Norton so I am out, AND still an avast user LOL.  I will re-evaluate when Apr 8 comes along and I have to do something about my xp machine.  Thanks for all the help that was simple enough.  Good thing I did not start downloading all my new free junk form comcast LOL. 
Dell 660S, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, Intel Core i3 3240, 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Avast Free

thekochs

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2014, 02:17:26 AM »
If you do not say Avast! is best, I think a kitten might die or something equally sad.

LMAO.....man that is funny ! ....perhaps puppy abuse too.  ;D

Seriously, the OP is kind of asking recommendation.
OK....here is mine........I don't use Microsoft Defender because they are not in the biz of A/V or Malware.....and they are Microsoft !
I use Comcast as my ISP and they are lightning quick, stable service, but no way I'd expect them to be good at A/V protection.
Bottom line is their offer for Norton is telling.

Thus, stick with Avast.........if you want a supplement then perhaps MalwareBytes Pro that offers a lifetime license for $24.
The combo of the two (they work well together).....A/V & MW protection is great.
Add what is hopefully a good router at your house that has good hardware firewall built in and for the average user not doing crazy stuff you are fairly covered.
Others can/will chime in on additional packages, software firewalls, etc. to supplement the two above....most of which are accurate.....just a trade-off of complexity to maintain versus your need of protection is something you have to determine on how far down that road you want to go.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 02:37:59 AM by thekochs »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2014, 02:31:45 AM »
I understand guys thanks.  I just went over to the comcast site and see a lot of negative stuff about CG and Norton so I am out, AND still an avast user LOL.  I will re-evaluate when Apr 8 comes along and I have to do something about my xp machine. 
<snip>

What do you think is going to happen on 8th April 2014 - avast and many other security based programs will still work on XP - the world isn't going to end, just windows updates for XP.

Something which you really should have been doing for years already is to have a backup and recovery strategy - this will most likely be drive imaging software. This makes an exact image of your partitions/drive which in the event of problems can be restored.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline badass

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2014, 05:58:06 PM »
Thanks guys, some more good info. here and I will keep following.
 DavidR, I don't know what to think about April 8? I am confused as hell with all the comments I have been reading.  I am not smart enough to know what to do really.  Drive Imaging software suggestion sounds sound to me, do you want to suggest a good one for me?  LOL I don't think the world is coming to an end but I am not sure if I will be safe using my debit card on the www because that is all I have.  I would like to get the necessities to keep functioning at my level.  In my ignorant mind I was thinking a free firewall and like was suggested some more av support.  I am even considering paying for some but want to make sure I get the one that will support me the best with the xp situation.  It seems to me that MS should create some more jobs and just charge for updates for the xp system instead of forcing everyone to get rid of a perfectly good system in favor of the 7 or 8?  Cost is a big factor for light users like me.

thekochs, your are right, I am just asking recomendations and I am sure this is not the best place to ask about OTHER av software but hey why not.  I did get some really good feedback too! 

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2014, 06:08:18 PM »
Thanks guys, some more good info. here and I will keep following.
 DavidR, I don't know what to think about April 8? I am confused as hell with all the comments I have been reading.  I am not smart enough to know what to do really.  Drive Imaging software suggestion sounds sound to me, do you want to suggest a good one for me?  LOL I don't think the world is coming to an end but I am not sure if I will be safe using my debit card on the www because that is all I have.  I would like to get the necessities to keep functioning at my level.  In my ignorant mind I was thinking a free firewall and like was suggested some more av support.  I am even considering paying for some but want to make sure I get the one that will support me the best with the xp situation.  It seems to me that MS should create some more jobs and just charge for updates for the xp system instead of forcing everyone to get rid of a perfectly good system in favor of the 7 or 8?  Cost is a big factor for light users like me.

thekochs, your are right, I am just asking recomendations and I am sure this is not the best place to ask about OTHER av software but hey why not.  I did get some really good feedback too!

There will be several 'good' programs you could look at. Drive Imaging/Backup software is definitely the way to go to restore an OS if in any way corrupted. I use Macrium Reflect. Paragon is another good one.
The concern you Bring up with online banking is a Major Concern as there is no way XP will be as safe as W7 or W8-8.1.
I personally do not do any High Security data transfer on my XPSP3 anymore. Just don't believe it's worth the risk or "Expense" if there is a security Breech. imho  :)

Offline badass

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2014, 06:17:03 PM »
Thanks schmidthouse for the solid advice! I will look into those as soon as I have time.