Author Topic: Cannot auto-Update  (Read 16491 times)

kamulko

Re: Cannot auto-Update
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2005, 03:02:37 AM »
In the Program Settings GUI -> Update/Connections, you see "dial up" or "always on" (I don't know what the English GUI shows to you)?

MFB

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2005, 03:04:49 AM »
I try that Kamulko! and still they turn it off.  Right now, I'm not gonna touch the settings cause it turns off Automatic Update for some reason. Gonna keep working at this problem.

kamulko

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2005, 03:06:31 AM »
mmm... I'm suspecting a defect in the related GUI/Avast4.ini... now I leave... tomorrow I will take a look here again. Hope you can solve the problem, Friend.
Ciao... and good luck  ;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 03:11:42 AM by Kamulko! »

MFB

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2005, 03:12:33 AM »
Okay guys I finally solve the problem, it was the XML and ODBC database.  I switch back to ODBC cause I was using XML for quite a while.  After switching back to ODBC, they kept the Automatic Updates On after clicking on it.  Now it's back to normal, thanks for all your help guys.   :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2005, 01:59:14 PM »
I can still update avast! (thank goodness) It's just after clicking on "On" it turns off Automatic update.
Perhaps it is acting like a toggle switch. If the updates are already set to automatic it is switching them to manual, give it a try and see if it acting like a toggle without having to edit the avast4.ini.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2005, 02:17:12 PM »
Same problem but I posted in the beta thread

MFB

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2005, 07:46:33 PM »
For me, it deals with the ODBC and XML, if you change your database to XML, change it back to ODBC and see if it works. 

MFB

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2005, 08:02:46 PM »
I can still update avast! (thank goodness) It's just after clicking on "On" it turns off Automatic update.
Perhaps it is acting like a toggle switch. If the updates are already set to automatic it is switching them to manual, give it a try and see if it acting like a toggle without having to edit the avast4.ini.

I did that first, but it wasn't acting as a toggle, it was just one click and stay.  I had to access the avast4.ini. to change it to automatic.  But it's okay now cause I change the database from XML to ODBC and it fix it.

Heres an update:  After I change it to ODBC, now I can't change it to Manuel Update, I don't really mind Manuel Update, I rather choose Automatic, but now avast! won't turn off automatic updates until I change the database back to XML.  You think it's a bug from the beta?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 08:05:33 PM by FIXER »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2005, 11:33:15 PM »

I did that first, but it wasn't acting as a toggle, it was just one click and stay. I had to access the avast4.ini. to change it to automatic. But it's okay now cause I change the database from XML to ODBC and it fix it.

Heres an update: After I change it to ODBC, now I can't change it to Manuel Update, I don't really mind Manuel Update, I rather choose Automatic, but now avast! won't turn off automatic updates until I change the database back to XML. You think it's a bug from the beta?

I just tried that but it wont stay put in odbc it just reverts to xml but the auto update appears to stay put now.  Spooky ???

Whoops I lied its just gone back to manual - no reboots or shut downs.  I have gremlins on my machine

kamulko

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2005, 11:47:53 PM »
Don't worry, Essexboy! The privilege of the windows user is this; no Linux fanatic can feel our special "dialogue" with our pc (e.g.: "Damn...what's the hell... Please, reboot now... oh, nooooo!!!"  :P ). The easy things are not so fascinating!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2005, 11:52:01 PM »
Yes but mine is a special windows  ::)     it's double glazed with some chintzy curtains and a mouse on the window sill

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2005, 09:58:07 AM »
Good sleuth work guys...

It turns out that the "Use XML Storage" check box was broken. Instead of setting the XML storage, it was turning off automatic updates... :)

It will be fixed in the upcoming beta refresh (later today?)

Thanks for the heads up.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.