Author Topic: Scan Inbound Mail incompatibility problem  (Read 11986 times)

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Scan Inbound Mail incompatibility problem
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2005, 12:14:18 PM »
The problem occurs when your program sends UIDL command with a trailing space. Avast forwards only one line of response and the other lines create a mess in the response stream. We will fix it and you can also change your code to make it work immediately.
Thank you for the tip.

Alistair

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2005, 01:58:19 AM »
Thanks, I will let the Sakemail (delphi component) group know of the incompatibility.
Appreciate the pointer - it was easy to find the errant line & fixed that as well.
Kind regards,
Alistair+

Alistair

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2005, 08:30:37 AM »
Thanks for pointers which showed that my UIDL request had an extraneous space causing Avast problems. It is now fixed and Avast will handle it. Great work from your programmers debugging the info I sent and appreciations.
BTW you have to teach spamdel what emails your relevant address is, otherwise its marked as spam.
Kind regards,
Alistair George (author of Spamdel).

Alistair

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2005, 07:03:47 AM »
Thanks for pointers which showed that my UIDL request had an extraneous space causing Avast problems. It is now fixed and Avast will handle it. Great work from your programmers debugging the info I sent and appreciations.
BTW you have to teach spamdel what emails your relevant address is, otherwise its marked as spam.
Kind regards,
Alistair George (author of Spamdel).
Actually, it is not fixed, just a lot better. I find since fixing up the getuidl code, that avast mailscan still blocks out my program after say 2-3 hours of use. What it effectively does is cause my program to generate a stack overflow error and shut down. With the mail scan disabled of course this problem does not exist  :-X
Unfortunately, with a stack error, I dont get any debug info.
Cheers,
Alistair+

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2005, 11:28:56 AM »
What it effectively does is cause my program to generate a stack overflow error and shut down. With the mail scan disabled of course this problem does not exist  :-X
Unfortunately, with a stack error, I dont get any debug info.

Alistair, then it's a good news - at least with avast! the bug in your code is reproducible.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2005, 12:35:19 PM »
Well, can't you simply stop the program before it crashes (say after one hour of operation) and check the current stack? There should be some repeated pattern (recursion) there, I guess.

Alistair

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2005, 02:34:46 AM »
Well, can't you simply stop the program before it crashes (say after one hour of operation) and check the current stack? There should be some repeated pattern (recursion) there, I guess.

Unfortunately, my programming expertise does not extend to PC ASM code, so looking at stack ASM would not help me much. The only thing I can attempt to do is go through the POP3 component code again and see if it is throwing any extaneous spaces or similar into its commands.
Thanks,
Alistair+

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2005, 10:14:07 AM »
Well, it doesn't seem like a problem with spaces or anything like that, but rather some design problem. Stack overflow usually means infinite recursion - i.e. some function doesn't return as it should, but rather calls itself again (of course, it may not be direct, it could call some other code that ends up calling the original function). It may even possibly(?) be some inter-process thing, like your code being caught by avast!, redirected somewhere, intercepted by your code, caught by avast!, etc.... I'm afraid it's hard to say without stack inspection.
If you stop the program in debugger (and if you have the symbols for the compiled executable, which you probably do), doesn't the IDE show you the stack as source references? (i.e. is it really necessary to check it in ASM?)