Author Topic: [SOLVED]Avast Browser Cleanup Error  (Read 6169 times)

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
  • prevention is better than cure
[SOLVED]Avast Browser Cleanup Error
« on: March 09, 2014, 09:20:47 PM »
guys i reinstalled avast today and for some reason when i click on the browser cleanup tool to check my browsers it says "avast browser cleanup has failed to retrieve appropriate data from the internet.Check your internet connection".The problem is that i am connected to the internet and avast is able to update its definitions and connect to avast account without any problem.

i have windows 7 pro 64bit,avast free latest version,malwarebytes free,windows firewall

thanks in advance,
george
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:54:03 AM by BJ_GeOrgE »
Antivirus: Avast Free v8.0.1497/Firewall: Windows Firewall/On Demand: Malwarebytes Free Edition/Other tools: CCleaner

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Avast Browser Cleanup Error
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 09:37:46 PM »
Repair...Control Panel>Uninstall a Program>double click "avast">click "repair">reboot (you may need more than one reboot).  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 11:09:36 PM »
Repair...Control Panel>Uninstall a Program>double click "avast">click "repair">reboot (you may need more than one reboot).  :)
i did the repair and 2 reboots and the error persists!
Antivirus: Avast Free v8.0.1497/Firewall: Windows Firewall/On Demand: Malwarebytes Free Edition/Other tools: CCleaner

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 11:17:58 PM »
Have you ran full system scans with both avast and MBAM?
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 11:27:16 PM »
guys i reinstalled avast today and for some reason when i click on the browser cleanup tool to check my browsers it says "avast browser cleanup has failed to retrieve appropriate data from the internet.Check your internet connection".

The problem is that i am connected to the internet and avast is able to update its definitions and connect to avast account without any problem.
<snip>

Whilst you may have an internet connection, it could be that for some reason avast can't connect to the browser cleanup back-end server/s.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

iroc9555

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 01:15:45 AM »
It has been happening to me for the pass 2 days. "avast browser cleanup has failed to retrieve appropriate data from the internet", and there are other reports of the same:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=147368.0
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=147371.0
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=147392.0

so there must be a problem with the browser cleanup back-end server/s as DavidR says.

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 01:43:21 AM »
i see!ok i will wait a few days to see if the connection is ok and then i'll rename this topic to "SOLVED". thanks a lot guys for your time and assistance