Author Topic: How to Disable Avast Application Auto-Update  (Read 13805 times)

scottli

How to Disable Avast Application Auto-Update
« on: March 10, 2014, 09:46:25 PM »
I use Avast free v7. I need to absolutely keep version 7.0 (38446) because of my work VPN. I am on a MAC and my work VPN has so few anti-virus software that it will accept. Avast v7 is one of the anti-virus applications it WILL accept (yay - but frustrating).

Is there some way for me to disable the application version check but keep the virus definitions check?? Every time I try to log in to my work, I have to uninstall Avast, then reinstall v7 because the auto-update updates both the application version and the virus definitions.

Help please!

:-\

Offline krahulik

• Avast team
Re: How to Disable Avast Application Auto-Update
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 02:45:01 PM »
Hello,
  that's very unfortunate. We have attempted to this automatic migration of Avast v7 users because we are going to terminate a release of the virus definitions in the current format soon. The best approach would be to contact your network administrator.

To pretend that you have a recent version you could edit /Library/Application Support/Avast/version.tag to value 40795-8.0
To disable both program and virus definitions update you could create a file /Library/Application Support/Avast/config/download.tag with a value i.e. http://localhost

Martin

scottli

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 09:02:25 PM »
Hi Martin. With apologies - I didn't see your response. I guess my notification didn't work.

In any case, I am on a MAC. Do you know where that setting would be on a MAC?

Offline krahulik

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 03:00:23 PM »
Hello,
  there's no setting disabling a program update in the MAC product. Under normal circumstances we tend to request a user confirmation on a major update and silently do only minor updates. This however we cannot do now, because we are not capable to maintain recent scanning daemon and virus definitions in a long term and thus we need to migrate all users we can to a new system.

If you would like to stay on a certain version, you would need to manually edit/create application files as I have described before either to disable all updates (including virus definitions) or to temporarily pretend you have the lastes version. Still, this is a hack and you would remain unprotected againts lates threats.

Martin

scottli

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 05:56:37 PM »
Thanks, Martin. Appreciate the info.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 01:36:15 PM »
I have similar problem, because of VPN I need to stay on 2014 version. I have checked only manual updates for application, but it still keeps automatical updating to 2015. I would consider this bug and as such it should be fixed.

PS: I dont understand why I need to enter captcha for message posting when logged in. Extremly annoying. It took 4 attempts.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 06:18:47 AM »
PS: I dont understand why I need to enter captcha for message posting when logged in. Extremly annoying. It took 4 attempts.
Spam protection, only needed for your first 3 posts.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
Hello,
  there's no setting disabling a program update in the MAC product. Under normal circumstances we tend to request a user confirmation on a major update and silently do only minor updates. This however we cannot do now, because we are not capable to maintain recent scanning daemon and virus definitions in a long term and thus we need to migrate all users we can to a new system.

Sorry, but If I disable actualization, program should never actualize. Why is that option here, if if does not do what it should? So remove it and at least it will be clear. It cost me significant ammount of time to figure where is the problem. I indeed understand risks of not having latest version, but cisco VPN client does not support avast 2015. I would have even no problem with having old definitions and manually change number of version to satisfy that stupid VPN check. Now I need to reinstall Avast each time accessing VPN. Great!

I like Avast and I was intending to buy it, but after this issue and your forced policy of upgrades without even telling anyone (sorry guys, this is not serious) I am buying another product. I dont envy people in same situation (anybody who is working for corporate using cisco VPN client) who bought Avast in 2014 and now they must buy some other product. We are speaking about small ammount of money, but it is matter of principle.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:56:07 AM by j.wall »

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 11:51:53 AM »
Spam protection, only needed for your first 3 posts.

Use some question and answer system, far more comfortable for users and it also provides better protection. Nowdays bots are better in solving captcha than humans.

Offline krahulik

• Avast team
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 05:24:16 PM »
Hello J.Wall,
  I apologize for the inconvenience but here is the state. Avast for Mac has been historically existing in following versions: 5,7,8,9, and 2015 (internally 10). Versions 5 and 7 have been asking users to allow an update. Since we couldn't maintain the virus database in an old format any more, the last update of Avast version 7 started automatic updates. The option to opt-out automatic updates through the checkbox has been added to version 2015, if I recall well, and it should be respected. If not, please let us know, it would be an important bug.

If your aim is to silence a Cisco VPN only, you can block a connection to an update repository download.ff.avast.com (i.e. by redirection to 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts) and install the old program version.

However, if you would like to use Avast as a computer protection, there is no other option than to contact your system administrator to reconfigure the Cisco VPN.

Best Regards,
  Martin

Offline Stephanie17

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2022, 09:07:17 PM »
Hi Avast Antivirus, how are you? And also, I think I have a question for you: Could you, by any chance, please help me disable the Avast Auto-Updates? Thanks!  :) From Stephanie Foraci

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2022, 01:32:17 AM »
Hi Avast Antivirus, how are you? And also, I think I have a question for you: Could you, by any chance, please help me disable the Avast Auto-Updates? Thanks!  :) From Stephanie Foraci
Try the following:
Open the User Interface> Select Menu> Settings> Update
Under "Check for Update" on Program update (not the virus definitions)
Next to Check for Update, select More Options
Once you do that, you'll see the following:

(hover over the image to see the full size image)
Make your selection from the 4 options listed (You can see what I've chosen.)
Once you've made your selection you can close the User Interface.
The next time there's an update available, it will follow your selected option.
To be protected, do not change the auto update setting in the virus definition section.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet