Author Topic: Help with Malware!  (Read 11626 times)

aMat

Re: Help with Malware!
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2014, 05:33:38 PM »
Hey sorry for the late reply, but I have some interesting information! First off I want to say thanks again for the help and tips, if it weren't for you I'd probably be stuck re installing Windows or throwing my hands up.

But regardless, I implemented the programs and procedures of your last post because up until today everything was fine. However today I got the routine popups regarding the programs mentioned previously  >:(!
What had changed was that I commuted over the weekend to my home. I was using my home network over the weekend and it gave me the impression that everything was fixed. When I came back today and connected to my residency network, the issue started again. Could this mean that the network/router is corrupted ?

EDIT: Here's just a quick snapshot of an example popup I got within the last 15 minutes.
EDIT2: In case there is any confusion, by "residency" I just mean the current place I am staying abroad. I live with a few room mates and we set up a common network for internet.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 06:51:48 PM by aMat »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2014, 06:35:57 PM »
There is a possibility that the router is infected, as I just had a quick look at the second page referenced pagesinxt and Avast immediately alerted.  It looks as thought the steam update is being diverted from the steam store to this page reading the scan log.  This could be a DNS corruption/infection within the router

aMat

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 07:11:34 PM »
Then would a good method of fixing this be to factory reset the router ?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 07:13:22 PM by aMat »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2014, 07:12:33 PM »
Yes that would reset it to defaults, do you know how to do it ?

aMat

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 09:07:23 PM »
Yep and it looks like we're all good again :D !

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but it seems like that was the final fix. I did a reset-to-defaults on the router, restarted my PC to try to trigger the Steam/etc. popups, and there were no popups, so I think we're good to go :D Couldn't have gone this far without your help, so much appreciated!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 09:17:31 PM »
You did all the legwork :)