Author Topic: Grimefighter what are you up to?  (Read 5245 times)

andybock1

Grimefighter what are you up to?
« on: March 11, 2014, 11:02:08 PM »
I was offered a free try of grimefighter. Good idea, maybe, so I tried it.

But this is crazy! After checking for a bit it comes back and tells me it wants to uninstall something and delete something and modify something - without telling me what that "something" is.

Hello!?

I don't have any bars to uninstall in any of my browsers. I don't have any bloatware services and don't exactly appreciate anyone poking around in my registry without telling me first what will be changed to what and why.

Just blindly accepting everything is not the way to go, so, thank you, but no thank you, grimefighter.

zorgon

Re: Grimefighter what are you up to?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 11:07:19 PM »
And therein lies the problem with Grimefighter. Nobody in his right mind should uninstall items without knowing what they are. Grimefighter should say what it is deleting and in addition provide a log file.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 11:40:45 PM »
And therein lies the problem with Grimefighter. Nobody in his right mind should uninstall items without knowing what they are. Grimefighter should say what it is deleting and in addition provide a log file.

Many have commented on this very issue.
I'm not sure how the Avast team will address these concerns. :)

Offline AmmokK

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 12:25:26 PM »
Exactly what i was thinking as well.
Seemed like a nice thing having such a tool integrated in my antivirus but as you said: "i will do something nowreally didn´t seem like a good deal. Maybe i want to keep some of those things GF wants to delete?
Sorry but i for sure won´t preyy "optimise my PC" without knowing anything!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 12:33:19 PM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

newtonsbed

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 01:52:05 PM »

I'm having trouble with grimefighter as well.

I got a pop-up asking to try a scan, so I did. The results said I had no problems, so I deleted the window and carried on.

The next time I started my PC it asked me if I wanted to run grimefighter/carry on to windows. I knew it hadn't been installed to my knowledge, so I checked. It had been installed without me knowing.

I went into control panel and unchecked it. It was still there at start up, and beginning to annoy me.

I went into regedit and deleted anything to do with "Jumpshoot" (or whatever it's called) - but at start up it's still there. By now I'm infuriated.

The worst thing is, I went into msconfig, boot ini, as it's the only way I can get into safe-mode, and grimefighter is there as the main boot up. I tried changing it but it won't let me, so I can't get into safe-mode. Absolutely fuming.

Why is it on my PC without asking for it? Why is it still there after unchecking it in Avast? Why is it still there after deleting Jumpshoot? Why is it my main boot and won't let me change it?

How do I get rid of it?

Mark12547

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 11:17:57 PM »
How do I get rid of it?

Note: this would cause a reboot.

To remove GrimeFighter, go into Control Panel -> "Add/Remove Programs" or "Uninstall a Program" (different Windows systems call it different things), find "avast! ..." in the list of programs. In Windows 7 one would right+click and on the pop-up window click on "uninstall/change". (Windows 7 is the only version I have here.) On the Avast screen that pops up, click on "Change" and hit "Continue". The next screen will show you what is currently installed, broken up into three columns: Shields, Tools, and Languages. Under Tools there is a checkbox for GrimeFighter. uncheck that box and hit Continue. After it does activity, including extracting a bunch of files. It will stop and ask if you want to reboot now or later. Generally I prefer to reboot as soon as possible after such changes.

After the reboot, the stub that launches GrimeFighter will no longer be installed. (You can rerun those steps to add GrimeFighter back in at a later date if you so wish.)

jpolowin

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 08:41:11 PM »
I was offered a free try of grimefighter. Good idea, maybe, so I tried it.

But this is crazy! After checking for a bit it comes back and tells me it wants to uninstall something and delete something and modify something - without telling me what that "something" is.

Absolutely.  I've had too many false positives from antivirus software to accept its "judgement" blindly.  And too many times, an update to software X messes up software Y even if there isn't an intended conflict; I insist on knowing about and controlling updates and installations so I can try to backtrack the source of trouble.

For several months, I couldn't do the major update to 2014 avast! because when I did, my PC blue-screened on boot-up.  Because I'd been spending most of my time working on a different machine, and have been very short on time and energy, I didn't get around to trying to solve the problem for a couple of weeks.  It took me a while to figure out that the problem was due to the avast! update.  After that, I tried the update every couple of weeks, had the same problem, and reverted to the working system checkpoint.  For whatever reason, the latest avast! version is working for me without the crashing.