Author Topic: Getting Avast from Cnet or the offical website?  (Read 6806 times)

RevolutionSphere

Getting Avast from Cnet or the offical website?
« on: March 12, 2014, 02:18:57 PM »
Hi, I'm wondering what the different is.

I've notice that off the official website, the size is 83.4mb and on cnet it is 86.4mb

So is avast safe to download from cnet?

I heard pretty bad things about it.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

RevolutionSphere

Re: Getting Avast from Cnet or the offical website?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 02:50:56 PM »
Thank you, I shall download the it off the official website  :)

Paul_D

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 04:58:23 PM »
Personally, I never download ANYTHING from CNet. If I can't get it from the author's site, MajorGeeks or FileHippo, I don't want it.

RevolutionSphere

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 08:15:29 PM »
I once got MBAM free on there, I did full system scan and found one piece of adware from there.

So now I try to advoid at all costs, luckly now MBAM can downloaded from the offical webiste and not cnet.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 08:27:14 PM »
If you verify the digital signature of the downloaded file and it says "Avast software", then it shouldn't matter where you downloaded it from.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 08:43:11 PM »
If you verify the digital signature of the downloaded file and it says "Avast software", then it shouldn't matter where you downloaded it from.

The major issue is that many people no longer trust cnet since they started bundling other products with the one you wanted to download.

This however only happens is you elect to use cnet's downloader. But people are not really aware what happens if you elect to do that untill they get the unrequested.

I have no idea if when trying to download avast from cnet if it offers to use the cnet downloader; so cnet users can get a surprise of unwanted/unrequested software.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Paul_D

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 09:57:32 PM »
And how many people will stop to do that?

Paul_D

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 09:58:58 PM »

The major issue is that many people no longer trust cnet since they started bundling other products with the one you wanted to download.

This however only happens is you elect to use cnet's downloader. But people are not really aware what happens if you elect to do that untill they get the unrequested.

I have no idea if when trying to download avast from cnet if it offers to use the cnet downloader; so cnet users can get a surprise of unwanted/unrequested software.
And it's not just CNet. Most of the main download sites now use wrappers.

As I posted before (and this is a mixture of personal experience and discussions in other security forums) the safest options are author's site (if a direct download is available there), FileHippo and MajorGeeks.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:01:22 PM by Paul_D »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 09:59:19 PM »
I would say that those who take time to ask about it here on the forum... might ;)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 10:57:15 PM »
I would say that those who take time to ask about it here on the forum... might ;)

Not everyone who downloads software come to the avast forums.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 11:17:58 PM »
The first time I downloaded Avast I used webattack,  When my Windows 8.1 computer stopped working I called Dell Support a Tech took control of my computer and he downloaded it from Cnet  I didn't get any un-wanted software or adware.