Author Topic: restoring file?  (Read 3625 times)

kathryn411

restoring file?
« on: July 08, 2005, 09:27:00 PM »
Recently I had a virus that was infecting 'winupd.dll' and i moved it to the chest. Now I get errors all the time saying 'winupd.dll' cannot be found, and this happens every time i open my browser or yahoo messenger or anything really. Should i restore it? and if i do how do you do that? Thanks.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: restoring file?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 09:46:49 PM »
This may well be a spyware-related problem:

http://www.windowsforumz.com/-rundll-ftopict181093.html

Please try the programs Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy as mentioned in the link.

If they don't work, come back and we'll try something else.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 11:06:24 PM »
As FWF said this is spyware related so you shouldn't restore it.

There will be an associated registry entry (probably a run command) that is looking to start this file that you have moved.

Hijackthis is a very useful diagnostic tool which should be able to find this command and fix it - Download HiJackThis.zip - HJT Information HiJackThis Tutorial
For an on-line analysis - HiJackThis Log file - On-line Analysis
Ignore any 023 reference to avast processes, this is a hiccup in the HJT 1.99.1 (especially missing file entry for avast), if you need any help with any of the analysis let us know.

Or you can post the contents of the log file here if you find the other option difficult.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kathryn411

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 08:23:48 AM »
hey i tried the hijackthis program; i deleted and fixed a bunch of things with the online analyzer. when i restarted my computer, the winupd.dll error still occurred. What should i do??

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 10:08:07 AM »
Please go HERE
First read, than follow ALL instructions at that page.
Let us know if it solved the problem

kathryn411

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 07:35:49 PM »
hey, i tried the link that was posted and it wouldnt open. what are the instructions i should follow? Thanks

HELP ME! THIS ERROR IS ANNOYING

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 09:09:51 PM »
Which link there have been several posted?

If it is the link Eddy posted, that link opens fine for me using firefox, what browser are you using and what errors are displayed when the page won't open. Right click on the link and  copy the link location and paste it into a new window/tab and see if that works.

Try this thread as a start if you can't get to Eddy's link - Advice & Tools for virus/trojan/malware Removal & Prevention
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security