Author Topic: 1 minute plus to avast starts  (Read 6117 times)

UKnowWhat

1 minute plus to avast starts
« on: July 03, 2005, 11:21:15 PM »
I am trying to fix this problem in my daughter's computer. As stated above, after logging in, it takes about 1 minute and 10 secs for avast icon to starts turning. During this time, all applications are operable but I just can't access internet. Once the avast icon is turning, everything works just fine.  I have run hijackthis, startupList, spybot_Search & Destroy, scan for virus, clean up Window Local Temp Dir, and did not see any problem. The computer is a P4, WinXP SP2 with 1GB of DRAM, on USB wireless. It is fixed port so ip address should not be a problem and I have checked that to make sure ip address is valid in the network. All other computers at home have no such problem ie. avast coming up within 15 secs but THIS ONE takes more than one minute to do so. I have uninstalled avast and indeed, internet access is quick right after logging in but reinstall avast will reinstall problem. Any suggestion to figure out what cause it?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: 1 minute plus to avast starts
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 11:38:08 PM »
The only thing I can think of is to use startup delayer as it may be that you have too many start up programmes with avast starting last

http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 12:19:18 AM »
I suggest you read this thread - http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=14062.0 - it is my experience where I believed it was avast being excessive in its startup scan. However after exhaustive analysis it turned out to be my firewall that was accessing 450-500 files or multiple accesses to files.

I now start my firewall manually after windows boot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Staind

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 01:04:05 AM »
I use to have the same problem, do you have a firewall installed?  For me, once uninstalling zone alarm, Avast! loaded more quickly.

UKnowWhat

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 01:26:47 AM »
StainD: I use standard WinXP firewall.
DavidR: Thanks for the thread pointer. I disable WinXP firewall, the problem remains. Just to clarify my above post, avast did not start spinning until 1 min 10 sec after the desktop appeared following log-in. It's not the scanning problem (mine is around 303 files) but the excessive delay of avast to become active. Is there a way to list active processes after log-in to show when avast becomes active and who are in front of him?

UKnowWhat

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 02:06:54 AM »
I use filemon at start up to see what's going on and stop capture when I see avast starts spinning. It took a full 1 min from filemon starting point to avast icon spinning. svchost starts 1 second before that. I didn't see anything weird in that list except csrss.exe have a bunch of buffer overflow when accessing c:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifest. Don't know if these info helps at all.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 10:04:51 PM »
I didn't see anything weird
Maybe is the time to test Startup Delayer.
It's the only freeware I've found that controls the windows startup (Windows 98\Me\2k\XP) that does not follow a strict order.
You can set some applications to start very after the boot (logon) itself.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 10:35:00 PM »
Perhaps it is time to use startup delayer, but what do you delay if you don't know the program that is causing the delay?
Unless there is a way to advance avast in the process?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 12:08:41 AM »
Perhaps it is time to use startup delayer, but what do you delay if you don't know the program that is causing the delay?
Unless there is a way to advance avast in the process?
Yeah, I know this... but, generally, the problem is on firewall loading or Security Center files loading...
But the problem could be on thirdy parties interacting each other and not directly related to avast...
Anything is possible on Windows logging on...  :P
The program could give some order and then help.
Other possibilty is using BootVis to 'defrag' the boot files, etc.
The best things in life are free.

UKnowWhat

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 06:53:36 PM »
I think I found the solution to my problem. This computer has an onboard Intel network adapter and I thought I had disable it but somehow, for some reasons it was enable again. Disable the darn thing and avast comes up as quick as it should be.

The reason that I didn't give it up because with so many talented people around here, me too :) of course, and we still couldn't find the problem then it must be that we are chasing the wrong horse. And exactly, it's so. Just a reminder to people bitching that others are incompetent that fixing computer problem long distance with incomplete information is like going to the moon with a Boeing 747. We probably go right  back where we start.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 09:30:09 PM »
I'm glad that you stuck with it and more so that you reported back to us what the problem and resolution was. I'm sure this may help others in the future.