Author Topic: Avast Service process takes too much CPU usage.  (Read 9011 times)

Junito72

Avast Service process takes too much CPU usage.
« on: March 17, 2014, 04:39:50 AM »
Hello,

For some reason since a few months, my computer was slowing down. I gave it maintenance (E.G. Drive Defragmentation, registry cleaning, etc.), but I didn't knew why it still was so slow. Until I go to the process tab at task manager, avast service reached over 70%, just starting the PC, there weren't any other programs running (disabled by msconfig.exe). When I disabled avast service, the PC was faster, more stable, and didn't had any issues. Why is it taking so much space usage, it's rather annoying that I have to disable this process so my PC can run normally? If anyone knows, please inform me. Thank you.

thekochs

Re: Avast Service process takes too much CPU usage.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 11:35:28 AM »
Hello,

For some reason since a few months, my computer was slowing down. I gave it maintenance (E.G. Drive Defragmentation, registry cleaning, etc.), but I didn't knew why it still was so slow. Until I go to the process tab at task manager, avast service reached over 70%, just starting the PC, there weren't any other programs running (disabled by msconfig.exe). When I disabled avast service, the PC was faster, more stable, and didn't had any issues. Why is it taking so much space usage, it's rather annoying that I have to disable this process so my PC can run normally? If anyone knows, please inform me. Thank you.

I think there are folks that have seen this.
The recommendation is to do a clean un/re-install.
Here is How-To thread on that....see first post: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=143284.0

Also, some former threads on the subject but think the latest program version has seemed to solve better.
You are on the latest ?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=143071.0
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=145084.0

Randissimo

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 02:29:43 PM »
For some reason since a few months, my computer was slowing down. I gave it maintenance (E.G. Drive Defragmentation, registry cleaning, etc.).
Stop doing that. Microsoft automatically makes the maintenance and also take a look at this:
Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities

Depending on how much you have broken down your computer with your registry cleaning and other "maintenance" you have done, you might need to make an inplace upgrade, a Windows Reset, dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, sfc /scannow or a clean Windows install.

If it works again, do us a favor and make an image backup, for example with Macrium Reflect (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx).

Junito72

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:46:12 PM »
THEKOCHS: I had it installed on another partition as well, clean Windows 7. Still it did the same, without using any maintenance. So that's not the problem.

RANDISSMO: Same as I said to kochs, I had another clean installation without any maintenance given to it (installed avast as soon as that partition was installed), and is did the same, over 60% of CPU usage. It doesn't do it all the time, except when starting the PC, using the browser or when playing online. So that's not the problem, since when avast service is disabled, everything else runs like it did at first. P.S. And yes, I did those things even before posting this, so that's not the problem.

Randissimo

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 08:57:00 PM »
At least an improvement of 10% over your "optimizations". ;)
Could you tell us your computer's specs with your OS and the exact version of Avast you're using included?

Junito72

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 04:33:32 AM »
Will a Windows System Information Export do?

Randissimo

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 01:25:32 PM »
Of course. Actually, all that might help are:
- your CPU
- your motherboard
- how much RAM
- your graphics card and driver version of it
- your booting drive/drive on which Avast is installed on (SSD/HDD/SSHD)
(especially a screenshot of Crystaldiskinfo with all raw values might help)
- whether you have made custom settings to the virtual page file and if yes, how big it is
- which programs you have running in the background (such as messenger, browser, etc.)
- whether you have other security software such as Windows Defender, third party firewalls with HIPS, etc. running
- and the exact version of Avast your using. Try to update the program from the right click context menu to check for the latest version

Sorry, but I'm not psychic enough to guess that you might have an old single core Pentium IV processor or an FX 8350 on a motherboard which has no support for it or has otherwise not enough chipset cooling or other temperatue problems or you might have some other (security) programs running in the background or you might have too few RAM or you might have made some "optimizations" right after clean install.

thekochs

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 01:29:21 PM »
Regardless, Avast should not even be 20%.....no less 60/70%.
I could expect during boot because of updates, etc more CPU utilization for the service......but after PC settles Avast should be in single digits.....regardless of system config.

Randissimo

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 02:19:04 PM »
Well, I doubt Avast would be running very well on a Pentium III processor, but you might be right, because after a clean install, usually all those programs need to update, especially the .netFramework optimization tasks.
A good suggestion might be to check for (Windows-) and other program updates (especially browser, flashplayer, java, skype, and any other program with a running background updater process and disabling the deamons in msconfig startup) than restart the computer and let it run on idle while you don't need your computer for a while.

thekochs

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 04:56:19 PM »
Well, I doubt Avast would be running very well on a Pentium III processor,

So true....but if OP is still on P3 then there is bigger issues. :)

Funny story.....I laugh every time I see Pentium III.
I used to work for Intel and when they first launched it they had it logo-ed as Pentium !!!
They did this because Intel was ticked off about the stock market valuations of internet companies versus as they saw it companies who made something.
So the "!" versus the "I" was meant to mimic (perhaps mock) Yahoo's "!".
Anyway, fun fact.....still gives me a chuckle.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 04:58:50 PM by thekochs »

Junito72

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 06:09:50 PM »
Sorry for the reply delay. Here is a zip of the system information. It's the latest version of avast, but it seems this is also affecting the other computer I own, which has an older version (still does the same with the latest version.)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/w0b7ajassnb4q90/Computer_Information.zip

Junito72

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 03:13:30 AM »
Please inform me if the link is not working. Thank you.