Author Topic: Having trouble logging into outlook express NOW!  (Read 12627 times)

uwannabbad

Having trouble logging into outlook express NOW!
« on: November 07, 2003, 03:22:39 AM »
Ok,
Now I downloaded AVAST4 and now I can't log into my outlook express mail. What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it b4 I end up booting this avast4?????   Help!!! :'( :'( ??? ???

Dee

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Having trouble logging into outlook express NOW!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 09:43:29 AM »
What error message do you see when you cancel the logon dialog ?

techie101

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2003, 07:35:53 AM »
how do I fix it b4 I end up booting this avast4?????   Help!!!
Firstly, before you tell us that you want to "boot" Avast, Give us the chance to help!

Ok, now for you problem.  I would recommend that you run the Email Wizard and insure that both Pop and Smtp addresses are entered correctly.  This is a very common mistake users make.
You can access the Wizard from the Avast folder which should appear in the Programs menu.

Do you use a Proxy filter?
Avast normally gets along fine with most firewalls so I do not think this is the problem.

Let me know how you make out.

and please try to be patient.  

Thanks
techie  :D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 07:36:43 AM by techie101 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2003, 02:32:59 AM »
Ok,
Now I downloaded AVAST4 and now I can't log into my outlook express mail. What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it b4 I end up booting this avast4?????   Help!!! :'( :'( ??? ???

Dee

Could you answer techie's questions?
What is happening, now, with your system (two days after your first post)?  8)
The best things in life are free.

Shutterbug

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2003, 05:14:17 PM »
I have no idea what Uwannabbad's status is, but I'm seeing the same thing.  Here is some more info to go on:

OS: Windows XP with all critical updates, etc, up to about a week before this.
Installed Avast 4.1 Home on the system and went through the standard setup.
Discovered that although I could connect to my ISP (dialup), I could no longer surf the web (IE 6.01) or get my mail (Outlook Express).
Regarding the mail, at first Outlook Exp would look as if it's trying to connect to the server, but then ask for a correct username / password.  The combo it popped up with was (using generic terms here) "mail.myserver.com#myname.myserver.com".  The first part of that is what my old connections used as a mail server, and after the pound was my username.  But I was never able to connect using that.  Whats more, moving my email settings back to my old data (manually) did not allow me to connect at all.
I tried many configurations which I don't remember accurately now because at the time I expected it to be a simple proxy setting issue.  But now I'm stumped.
I should also note that also installed on the system is a pop-up and ad blocker called Proxomitron.  Great app, always worked wonderfully for me, but it does use a proxy connection on "localhost:8080", which is what I'm starting to suspect fouled up avast.
One more note, I've uninstalled Avast completely to see if that fixed things, but I'm seeing the same problems.  I'd hoped Avast would reset it's proxy settings (or whatever it did) to my original config, but apparently not.  And being a techie myself I can forestall one of the response questions - nothing else changed between my Avast installation and the beginning of the problems.

Any aid is appreciated.  A reformat is staring me in the face if I can't find a resolution somewhere.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2003, 07:33:06 PM »
I have no idea what Uwannabbad's status is, but I'm seeing the same thing.  Here is some more info to go on: The combo it popped up with was (using generic terms here) "mail.myserver.com#myname.myserver.com"

The correct form is: user_name#pop3server

Moving my email settings back to my old data (manually) did not allow me to connect at all.

This is normal, with the Internet Mail resident running, your system is configurated to use the new values and will not work with the old ones.

Proxomitron.  Great app, always worked wonderfully for me, but it does use a proxy connection on "localhost:8080", which is what I'm starting to suspect fouled up avast.

I use a proxy too and have no difficulties of setting up avast! Other applications using the pop3 and smtp server configuration need specifics values. For instance, using Spamihilator: 127.0.0.1&user_name#pop3server

Any aid is appreciated.  A reformat is staring me in the face if I can't find a resolution somewhere.

Wait, everything has a solution.  ;D

Shutterbug

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2003, 09:13:49 PM »
To avoid confusion, this topic has been continued in the Avast Home/Pro category.  http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1761

Your comments are welcome though.

Wait, everything has a solution.
Hehe, I was a little frustrated when I wrote about the reformat.  Just venting steam, really.  Reformats sometimes ARE the solution, but happily that's very rare these days. :)

amber

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2003, 11:19:23 PM »
 :( I'm having same problem...cant get outlook to work. I'm not a techie though and its doing my head in. Tried the wizard...no luck. If i do system restore will that take things back to how they were...any help please, but make it simple...thnx

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2003, 02:24:10 AM »
:( I'm having same problem...cant get outlook to work. I'm not a techie though and its doing my head in. Tried the wizard...no luck. If i do system restore will that take things back to how they were...any help please, but make it simple...thnx

Mail Protection Wizard
To configure your e-mail client (program) follow these steps:

1. Close all your email applications.
2. Start Windows Menu > avast! antivirus > Mail Protection Wizard
3. Click Next on the first screen
4. Choose 'Setup the protection manually'
5. Choose 'I don't use MS Outlook (nor MS Exchange client) or
    'I use other programs to work with e-mails as well'
    a) with MS Outlook/Exchange, the Wizard finishes here.
    b) with another e-mail client:
        After the service was disabled, choose Next
        Select your e-mail accounts (or 'My accounts is not in the list...' to get help)
        Finish your configuration and the service will start again.

You can run the Mail Protection Wizard more than once and all the changes could be reversed ('Automatically remove protection from all my accounts'). Nowadays, the following Internet Mail Clients are supported: MS Outlook (including Outlook 2003), MS Exchange, MS Outlook Express, Eudora, Pegasus Mail, Netscape Mail, Mozilla Mail, IncrediMail and The Bat!