Author Topic: Windows XP problem with system resources  (Read 53856 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Windows XP problem with system resources
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2003, 01:24:38 PM »
Is it posible that this file be updated in all XP systems just asking for a program update? Seems to correct a lot of errors.

Of course, if it passes all tests (both ours and yours) it will be part of the next avast update. ;)

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Taikonaut

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2003, 03:09:16 PM »
Good job Vlk, the leak seems to be gone :)
The Strg looks like this after 6 hours:
Code: [Select]
PTAG    PAG/NON   # Allocs    # Frees  Alloc-Free       Used
----    -------  ---------  ---------  ----------  ---------
Strg      PAG      1912779    1912671        108        7200

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2003, 03:46:36 PM »
Fine; let's hope it was the real cause of the original problems (system responsiveness slowly decreasing to zero)... ;)

bbfi

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2003, 04:29:44 PM »
VLK,

I tried the fix and so far my computer has been running for 11 hours with Avast (previous best was 8 hours with Avast).  I'll keep you posted, but so far so good.  ;D

Great work.  Hope you got some sleep last night or morning.   ;)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 04:30:47 PM by bbfi »

Dave50

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2003, 11:50:48 PM »
Vlk -- looks good!  :)

Computer's been up and running for 3 hours now, using Kazaalite, SP-1 and all critical updates installed -- no sign of any slowdown or freeze.  No error reports -- everything working just fine.

If this driver does make it into the next program update, will that cause any difficulty for those of us who've already downloaded it?  Would the program update (I've got it set to automatic update) recognize that the file's already installed?

Great work Vlk...

Dave

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2003, 12:42:33 AM »
If this driver does make it into the next program update, will that cause any difficulty for those of us who've already downloaded it?  Would the program update (I've got it set to automatic update) recognize that the file's already installed?

Absolutely. The updater can handle much worse situations than this! :)
It will work seemlessly...

Actually, my only concern is that with the next VPS update (probably due tomorrow), the updater will actually repair your replaced driver as well -- i.e., it will re-replace it with the original version... :-\

Watch for this - if avast prompts you for a reboot after the next VPS update, it's quite likely that this is what really happened. In this case, you'd have to download and replace the fixed file again...

Hope this helps,
Vlk

Dave50

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2003, 01:37:01 AM »
Vlk -- I can deal with an occasional reboot (if it happens) until the new driver is included in a program update.

By the way -- I was surfing through the Dell Computer Customer Forums yesterday and in one of them, I think it was their forum for "other software", one of the posters was raving about just how good avast is!  Of course, we already know that.... ;D ;D ;D

Dave

Dave50

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2003, 12:17:27 AM »
Vlk -- okay!  Computer's been running for more than 24 consecutive hours.  No slowdown, no freeze, no errors.
Avast is working perfectly -- no Windows Updates conflicts, no Kazaalite crashes.  Gosh -- there's nothing to complain about.  ::)

For those of you who downloaded the new driver, have you had any issues?  I think avast team can put this in the next program update.

This has been a tough one to solve and to everyone in this thread, I thank you and I'm giving everyone a karma!

Dave

Dave50

« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2003, 12:20:41 AM »
Sorry -- you've got to wait for the karmas.  Can only do one per hour.

Dave

bbfi

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2003, 01:08:39 AM »
I was able to run for 25 consecutive hours which is plenty for me and I shut it down so I could go to bed.  Probably could have gone on for days, weeks, months, or whatever.  All I need is to be able to use it for 8 to 10 hours a day which it now does with no problems.    :D

Until the users of this forum and Vlk delved into this problem, 4 to 8 hours was max on my computer, making Avast unusable for me.  But now, I'm happy again with my Avast running like a well oiled machine for as long as I want it to.  Great going guys.  Sherlock Holmes couldn't have done better detective work.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2003, 01:11:21 AM by bbfi »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2003, 06:27:02 PM »
Vlk, everything working fine four 20 hours...
There is no trouble with hibernation or system stand-by either.
I'll report anything strange.
Again, thanks to you and Taikonaut  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Dave50

« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2003, 12:29:58 AM »
Vlk -- computer's now been on a steady 36 hours.  Everything functioning perfectly.  Absolutely no sign of any errors with any program, no conflicts with Windows Updates, no slowdown or freezes.

From my perspective, the new driver is the solution and I believe the avast team can put it in the next program update.

Thanks to all...

Dave

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2003, 02:20:41 AM »
I have done now some more digging and I believe that I have found the source of the leak in my comp. I used PoolTag from www.osr.com

You can see more details of PoolTag here.

To download it you must first sing in OSR Online.
Section Cookies must be allowed.

A list of utilities could be found here.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2003, 09:40:52 PM »
All right folks, thanks for your affirmative answers. I'm extremely glad we were able to nail this bug down together...

Gee, I'll have to fetch some weaker hardware for this testing. All of my machines have at least a gig of RAM (with the exception of the notebook which only has 768MB ;)). And guess what - I've never experienced any memory depletion connected to avast...

Vlk