Author Topic: question about malware  (Read 2706 times)

skinandb0nes

question about malware
« on: March 19, 2014, 04:48:44 PM »
Can just clicking on a photo in facebook (so no link, just a photo that someone posted with a status update) cause your computer or smartphone to get a virus? My computer is suddenly very slow but I never visit any other sites than facebook, twitter etc and never click on any links so I was wondering if I may have caught a link from just watching pictures on facebook.

(I mean just enlarging a photo that someone added in their status update that doesn't redirect to another site. Just clicking on a photo that is actually uploaded to facebook.)

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Ambulanta MyCity Forum - ASAP Member
Re: question about malware
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 05:06:17 PM »
Hi skinandb0nes and welcome to forum.

For removing malware from android device you can download from playstore avast mobile antivirus & run the scan.
As additionaly, you can download and run Malwarebytes Mobile and run the scan. Both shall preform fantastic job in checking, in detecting and removing android based malware.

For Windows system, thing are more complex. We require a more comprehensive set of logs to determine the presence of malware.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool () by Farbar and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatibale with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them.
Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

skinandb0nes

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 05:08:32 PM »
yes

https://blog.avast.com/2011/05/17/google-images-poisoning-stats/

http://community.websense.com/blogs/securitylabs/archive/2011/04/21/presley-walker-google-image-search-results-poisoned.aspx

I'm not talking about google, I am talking about facebook. Let's say I am on facebook and I want to enlarge a photo that someone posted in a status update. I click on it, and it opens the photo including the likes/description/comments etc. You know, just the standard facebook thing. So I'll still be on facebook and I won't be redirected to another site. Can THIS cause viruses or malware?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 05:10:09 PM by skinandb0nes »

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 05:10:31 PM »
There is malware that 'hides' behind the image, in the simplest terms said. It's an old method known trigger infection ...

skinandb0nes

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 05:11:31 PM »
There is malware that 'hides' behind the image, in the simplest terms said. It's an old method known trigger infection ...

But does that hide behind photo's uploaded to facebook?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 05:14:38 PM »
I'm not talking about google, I am talking about facebook.
a picture is a picture....does mot matter where it is posted

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 05:14:48 PM »

Should not be possible. FB has various safeguards.
But as a link "Click here to see a naked girl" thing or similar fraud (link ..etc) or to download a true picture of the computer, running it your image does opet but malware as well.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 05:16:28 PM »
the bad guys fish in the pond with most fish....bigger chanse that somone take the bait
the biggest pond is Facebook.    ;)
and they find new tricks evry week...

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 05:22:19 PM by Pondus »

skinandb0nes

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 05:16:57 PM »

Should not be possible. FB has various safeguards.
But as a link "Click here to see a naked girl" thing or similar fraud (link ..etc) or to download a true picture of the computer, running it your image does opet but malware as well.

Alright, thanks! So as long if I don't click on any links on facebook and just keep watching pictures I should be safe? (: