Author Topic: GrimeFighter details missing  (Read 2622 times)

dleigh

GrimeFighter details missing
« on: February 14, 2014, 07:45:22 AM »
Got the GrimeFighter popup today.  Not a big fan of "cute" or "over-simplistic" information about my computer (I've been in IT since 1984 and I do a LOT with my computer and configure it at a detailed level) so when it listed vague descriptions of what it would "fix" and encouraged me to simply click "Optimize"...well...just imagine my hesitation.

So my questions:
  • what DOES happen when I click optimize?
  • Will I have a chance to inspect in greater detail what's about to happen BEFORE it happens?
  • Can I undo?
  • Can I pick and choose individual items?
  • Is this even valid for Avast Free or will it simply pop up and tell me that I should upgrade?
  • Can I turn the pop ups off?
  • Can I stop its scanning efforts?
  • Can I exclude permanently given issues?

The whole thing seems a bit half-baked so far, but if someone would simply tell me what's going to happen next when I click - well, I might just click... ;)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: GrimeFighter details missing
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 08:32:52 AM »
You can find all the information about Grimefighter here http://www.avast.com/en-us/faq.php

I'd recommend you read the system requirements first.

andybock1

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 10:52:26 PM »
No, that's the entire problem, there's no information what is being done or what has been done.

Loaded4th

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 06:05:59 AM »
I ran this utility yesterday and while it marginally improved boot up and shutdown times, I had to launch TweakUI to get my windows sounds running again - General | Check "Beep on errors"

A bit disappointed there were no logs identifying the changes.

I7-2600K, 8G RAM, Dual Boot XP-Pro3/Linux Mint.

PS: many of your CAPTHA characters for verification are unreadable...

propheticus

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 04:38:39 PM »
GrimeFighter is not targeted at IT pros. It's simplistic and made so that it doesn't confuse tech-illiterate (average?) users. If you're in IT and keep a clean system there's a big chance you don't need it anyway.