Author Topic: Last Update Free Version-Now Get Avast Splash Screen in Firefox every time  (Read 4844 times)

ron99

Since the last update of free version, every time I start Firefox the Avast screen appears asking me to make my settings. I've never seen that before. I tried changing a setting to see if it would stop it but it doesn't. How can I make it stop.

Thanks, Ron

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Disable the "avast online security" extension.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

ron99

I've never had to disable that in the past. I don't have it disabled in IR or Chrome and the splash window doesn't pop up each time I start it, only FF.

Ron

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Do you mean you see a new tab relating to avast online security (AOS) ?

If so:
Are you clearing the History/Cookies when you close firefox ?

The AOS uses a cookie to store personal site and AOS settings, clearing all would lose these settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ron99

I'm getting a tab every time I open firefox-Avast Security and I do have my settings to accept and keep cookies so I can't figure out why I keep seeing it.

Ron

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I'm not sure why you would still be getting this if you don't clear history and cookies when you close firefox. The issue might be a conflict elsewhere.

The other possibility is other security based add-ons in firefox, what other security based add-ons do you have in firefox ?

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ron99

Thanks for responding

I don't have any additional security ads ons.

Are my only two options, disabling avast add on or living with it?

Ron

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
The problem is there are lots of options in the firefox option, either Advanced or Security which effect what is retained or discarded when you close firefox. So it could be hard to pinpoint, personally I would just disable the AOS, I have only got it running now to give it a test after this new 9.0.2016 release. Then I will be disabling it again.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
If Firefox is set permanently to "Private Browsing Mode", no cookies would be saved regardless of the other cookies or history setting.  This would have the effect of causing AOS thinking that it should request the initial settings forever.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
If Firefox is set permanently to "Private Browsing Mode", no cookies would be saved regardless of the other cookies or history setting.  This would have the effect of causing AOS thinking that it should request the initial settings forever.

I think that this situation could and should be handled more gracefully - if for whatever reason AOS can't find the cookie, etc. that the settings/customisations are saved. Then it should use a minimally intrusive set of defaults, saved to a file in the avast folder.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
I agree.  AOS shouldn't rely on Firefox cookies at all.  Many users are complaining about the  settings screen displaying.  Firefox users, for various reasons, often have Firefox set up to delete all cookies on exit.  Others have restrictive cookies permissions which don't allow the proper cookies to be set.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

marrtin

Frankly, I am now utterly fed up with Avast.  I have spent a tidy sum with them over the years, and there are many computers with it installed due to my recommendation.  This problem is just one more in a long list of annoying begging pop-ups that Avast spam their customer's with.

Deleting all Avast cookies seems so far have done the trick.  Until the next one that is...............