Author Topic: Avast Firefox Plugin issue since recent program update.  (Read 19321 times)

Totenmaske

Avast Firefox Plugin issue since recent program update.
« on: March 21, 2014, 03:41:39 AM »
Recently updated Avast on both Windows 8 and Windows 7 to the latest release.  Both computers running Firefox as the default browser have the issue where the Avast Online Security first launch page for the Firefox Plugin keeps appearing.  Close the browser after closing the AOS tab, and the tab reloads.  The only way to fix this is to disable the plugin.  Now on both computers, if you run chrome and enable the Avast plugin, your shown the Avast Online Security page with the option to disable or enable features, but once you close that tab it doesn't reopen when you launch the browser again.  So there is seriously something wrong with the Firefox version of the Plugin.  It gets to the point that multiple Avast Online Security tabs/pages load especially if a user doesn't close those tabs.  Checked this out both at my home, a friends house, and a clients house.  This is brand new since the recent update.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Firefox Plugin issue since recent program update.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 12:06:53 PM »
By recent, what version of avast do you have ?
The latest one, released yesterday is 9.0.2016 and that one's AOS add-on is working fine on my firefox 28.0.

What do you mean by the AOS first launch page ?
Do you mean this (see images), AOS icon default location, AOS sidebar when you click the AOS icon, when you click the AOS settings (now it is a tab) ?

For me all of these open and close when they should.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Totenmaske

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 12:41:46 PM »
I mean this page for the avast! Security Plugin plugin 9.0.2016.82.  It constantly reopens even after closure of the webpage and browser.  Meaning when you close Firefox, and open it later (after closing the webpage tab) it will reopen along with the users default homepage tab/webpage.  It behaves perfectly in Chrome, but on multiple computers (8 separate systems now) I have updated or seen updated to yesterday's update experience this issue on Firefox only.  Disabling the plugin from within Firefox is the only way to prevent the aos.avast.com/upgrade/2006 from loading.

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 01:21:09 PM »
Hello,
certainly because your firefox settings doesn't keep history and cookies.
It's not a pleasure for me too , to have this web page each time I remove cookies.It starts only since v 9.0.2016
Allowed exception ? well , but I use few tools able to clean cookies ....
Is it possible to use an other way than cookies for AOS ?

GaiusBaltar

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 01:53:56 PM »
Same here. It opens everytime I start Firefox.

I believe chris05 is right. Look here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=147820.0

To protect my privacy as best as possible (I know there is no 100%) my Firefox (Version 28.0) settings clear the complete browser history including cookies when I exit Firefox. I also have several Add-Ons like Adblock Plus, BetterPrivacy, Ghostery and NoScript installed. WOT too, which works fine next to AOS. Additionaly I regularly clean the browser history (again including cookies) using CCleaner (I do not touch the registry with CCleaner).

I have not found a way to exclude the AOS cookies from being cleaned. At the moment I prefer to keep it the way it is and live with the AOS tab coming up everytime I start Firefox. I find it easier to close one tab than to fiddle around in several Firefox and Add-On settings.

Still, it would be nice if the avast! team would come up with a solution to stop the tab from opening again even though one cleans the browser history and deletes cookies. Maybe with the next program version.

So far, the new avast! version seems to work great!

GaiusBaltar

System: Windows 8 64-bit, avast! Free Antivirus 2014.9.0.2016, Firefox 28.0 (and coming from Linux I actually like Windows 8)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 01:55:35 PM by GaiusBaltar »

Totenmaske

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 02:10:04 PM »
Well I suppose people will just have to just "Never Remember History" under Privacy  or "Remember History" without clearing the cookies upon exit - but if they do either with ccleaner, within firefox, or something later just have to deal with this page loading up. Thanks for the info everyone.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 02:22:27 PM »
I mean this page for the avast! Security Plugin plugin 9.0.2016.82.  It constantly reopens even after closure of the webpage and browser.  Meaning when you close Firefox, and open it later (after closing the webpage tab) it will reopen along with the users default homepage tab/webpage.  It behaves perfectly in Chrome, but on multiple computers (8 separate systems now) I have updated or seen updated to yesterday's update experience this issue on Firefox only.  Disabling the plugin from within Firefox is the only way to prevent the aos.avast.com/upgrade/2006 from loading.

For me that only opened once, when I enabled the AOS add-on after the avast update (I had it disabled before the update) and not again since (having closed that tab).

Whilst it might well have something to do with cookies, but that should only relate to a specific sites AOS settings. This shouldn't mean the AOS add-on welcome screen (when first enabled) would always load.

Also the firefox History setting I would have though that would be more likely to stop opening it as the history isn't remembered (when firefox is closed), so it should open with a single blank tab.

####
I don't clear history when I close firefox, I use CookieMonster (CM) to manage cookies, in CM I have allowed cookies for avast.com, forum.avast.com. I also have some of my regular sites allowed in CM, otherwise by default only session cookies are allowed, which would be removed when firefox is closed.

I prefer to use CM to manage cookies rather than firefox as it is more customisable.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 06:36:54 PM »
For me that only opened once, when I enabled the AOS add-on after the avast update (I had it disabled before the update) and not again since (having closed that tab).
Hello,
for now , does your AOS add-on always enabled or disabled again?
For me , if I disable it , no more AOS tab when I open Firefox even after deleted cookies.

Do not use AOS is an other solution for this tab  ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 06:38:39 PM by chris05 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 07:54:03 PM »
My AOS add-on is enabled and no AOS intro tab.

I suggest that you investigate the various cookie/history comments and see if there is one that may resolve it.

Paul_D

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 08:26:49 PM »
Set Firefox to accept cookies from sites but never accept third party cookies, and stop clearing your cookies. That's all the cookie security you need.

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 10:52:39 PM »
My AOS add-on is enabled and no AOS intro tab.

I suggest that you investigate the various cookie/history comments and see if there is one that may resolve it.
Oups , I did not fully read what you said especially:
in CM I have allowed cookies for avast.com, forum.avast.com
sorry

HiveMind

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 08:36:45 PM »
I agree with those who would prefer an addon from avast! that didn't require us to maintain a cookie for the addon inside the browser itself. I mean, this isn't a site that we're trying to retain settings for - it's just an addon/extension for the bowser, which is installed by software that already has full access in the operating system. Why should I have to turn off Private Browsing Mode or use a 3rd party cookie managing addon/extension to retain this one cookie, when the application could easily retain the information using the numerous other storage options that exist with its level of access. It could have the settings for the browser-specific addons in the existing avast! UI (which already has the page for enabling the per-browser extensions), or it could keep the settings in the Add-ons Manager tab which has been part of Firefox for... years?

Seriously, all the comments about cookie management are missing the point for the simple fact that the avast! developers are not some silly know-nothing kids who don't know any better. They're experienced developers who are fighting the black-hat world in exchange for a little profit. That being said, they don't need us to make excuses for them and work-arounds in a situation like this (talking about the usage of browser cookies to store persistent data - what is this, the 90's?). Say it plainly. "I'd like an addon that doesn't make me give up my existing and beloved settings". From there, they'll either indulge you or they won't. But let's not pretend that there are no other options on their end.

kennyJT

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 07:38:44 AM »
Type "about:config" in address bar

promise to be careful

scroll down to "browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID;20140314220517". Right click on it and select "reset".

scroll down one below to "browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone;28.0" and do the same thing.

Close then reopen Firefox. You'll see 2 tabs appear the 1st time, but that should be it..

When you reset these strings, you will need to modify your preferences again within Firefox (such as your homepage). 

HiveMind

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 08:45:51 PM »
Type "about:config" in address bar

promise to be careful

scroll down to "browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID;20140314220517". Right click on it and select "reset".

scroll down one below to "browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone;28.0" and do the same thing.

Close then reopen Firefox. You'll see 2 tabs appear the 1st time, but that should be it..

When you reset these strings, you will need to modify your preferences again within Firefox (such as your homepage).

This did not work. Again, Private Browsing.

Paul_D

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 01:10:21 AM »
I have little doubt that some will take offense at this, but here goes anyway:-

IMHO, if you're going to be paranoid about cookies you have to be prepared to accept some consequences. For some time (years) now I have allowed site cookies in Firefox, but rejected third-party cookies. I don't get spammed. I don't get phished. Adblock Plus handles most ads. Very occasionally SuperAntiSpyware (IMHO the most aggressive cookie hunter out there) deletes a couple of doubtful cookies. MalwareBytes and Emsisoft never find any. I run full scans with all three of them in rotation every second night. Benefit:- I don't have to log in every time I visit the several forums and news sites I visit.

But of course I have also disabled AOS, so I don't have this particular issue anyway. Avast have simply tried to pack too much into it.