Author Topic: please explain 'sms remote control' for kitkat  (Read 4786 times)

tmord1

please explain 'sms remote control' for kitkat
« on: March 23, 2014, 10:58:02 PM »
I have avast premium installed on a rooted phone running an Android 4.4 rom.  After installing the rooted anti theft feature, I get the following message "you are using android 4.4... This will make incoming texts visible to any thief.  However, you can send invisible binary sms commands through the new sms remote control in the latest version of avast". Can you please explain how to use 'the latest sms remote control".  What should be the target phone number and how exactly does one use this feature if the phone is lost.  Also, if you use this feature, will it still show the sms text with your avast pin number?  I do not understand what a 'binary sms' message is and how it is sent.  Please explain in lay person terms.  Thank you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: please explain 'sms remote control' for kitkat
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 01:29:49 AM »
As far I know, you just need to use the latest avast! Mobile Security version on both your device and the device you will send the SMS for remote control of your device. And, of course, check the option for the 4.4 support.

Binary here is the opposite of play, open, readable SMS.
The best things in life are free.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 09:19:53 AM »
i am getting upset with AVAST with its unclear answers. It cause me to lose my too many hours!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 10:59:26 AM »
i am getting upset with AVAST with its unclear answers. It cause me to lose my too many hours!
Are you quoting an one year old thread and say you're tired? ???
The best things in life are free.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 07:41:37 PM »
Are you quoting an one year old thread and say you're tired? ???
Lisandro, as of July 22, 2015 this thread states that 1135 people viewed it seeking answers to the topics raised. 

Along with cagoaga and likely MANY of the other 1135 people seeking those answers, I didn't understand your March 24, 2014 post and it wasn't helpful.  Further, you DID NOT ANSWER the questions in the original post, and I found that frustrating.  Along with cagoago, I am also upset at wasting hours of time reading unclear, incomplete answers from AVAST.

So why shouldn't one of those 1135 readers post that they're tired of wasting time reading AVAST's unclear answers, even ten months after the date of the original post, and particularly when the original questions remain unanswered?

Do you not understand that this thread continues to show up in search results regardless of the date of the original post?

Do you not understand that users continue to seek answers from forum threads long after threads are originally posted?

Your response was not only impolite, it was improper.  I also suggest that in the future you refrain from:
- Posting casual, almost flippant answers that use vague references, such as "check the option for the 4.4 support" - seriously? and "Binary here is the opposite of play, open, readable SMS" - seriously?  You wrote as if you thought users worked in the industry, as opposed to being 'average users' who expect and desire to spend no more than 3-5 minutes understanding and setting up this app., and bookmarking or downloading use instructions for future use.  Boo.  >:(
- Using dismissive words that minimize the ease with which average users SHOULD BE able to understand and using this app.  ("you just need to" - 'just' clearly is used here to mean 'merely' or 'simply', yet if it were so 'simple' we'd not be reading a forum looking for instructions and explanations!  And no, we don't "need to" do anything, including use this app.  "And, of course..." - no, not "of course", it's not obvious; that's why we're on a forum looking for instructions and explanations!   >:(

Using such patronizing words and phrases comes across as not-so-subtle sideswipes at users' intelligence and/or aptitude and have no place in professional customer service responses.  "And, of course..." talking down to users reduces customer goodwill.

And "as far as I know" sounds flippant and isn't acceptable in AVAST responses; either know, or care enough to find out before you post, and then either care enough to post a clear, complete answers, or don't post!

Bottom line, finding clear and complete answers to issues regarding AVAST products and functions should be simple, and I didn't appreciate you mocking one of the 1135 users attempting to wade through the unclear, incomplete answers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
If anyone is willing to try again, PLEASE:

1  Explain how to set up 'the latest sms remote control'.

To set up avast! Mobile Security on your device ...
... ? (for example, download the app? open it, then, if you already have an avast account, you can use the same e-mail and password, choose new ones, or you can enter a phone number ..." ... Then set a pin number ... enter a phone number of a friend or family member to receive SMS messages when your phone is lost/the SIM is changed/untrusted...)

Then sign in ...

To be able to use the remote control feature, BOTH your device and the other device (that you want to use to send a SMS to your device to 'remote control' it) will have to have the latest avast! Mobile Security version for remote control to function.  Under "Advanced Settings" select "Software Updates" and:
- Check "Weekly Check" to automatically check for updates (if the SIM is trusted and the device is not marked as lost).
- Under "Version" the installed version number is stated.  At any time you can tap this to check for upgrades (beyond the Weekly Check).

- Return to the main screen and select "Friends", then:
- Review the phone number you entered and add a second one to receive SMS messages if desired.
- Check "enable support for Android 4.4".

-  ?

2  How exactly does one use this feature if the phone is lost?

3  What should be the target phone number?

4  If you use this feature, will it still show the sms text with your avast pin number?

5  Explain in lay person terms what a 'binary sms' message is.
("Binary here is the opposite of play, open, readable SMS."  Fail; that is not in 'lay person terms' - please try again!)

6  Explain in lay person terms how we send a 'binary sms' message. 

Thank you for your time.