Author Topic: Printer and Scanner wont work if Avast is on  (Read 22230 times)

Phil K

Re:Printer and Scanner wont work if Avast is on
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2003, 12:26:37 PM »
Phil

Glad to hear the prnt & scan problems sorted.

What exactly is going wrong with e-mail?.

btw, it has been mentioned here before that =utpost 'can' sometimes give problems.

More details on the e-mail problems please.

Walker

Well, it just keeps popping up the usual error message when you have done slight error filling in, like password etc, only it worked quite OK prior to avast making the chages required to keep an eye on the mail. I have even had to go into the options and change them back manually in order to get my e-mail. I'd like it to be screened, but not if it's hitty/missy with deliveries.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2003, 12:36:42 PM »
Make sure that your firewall is not blocking connections created by the mail scanner (ashMaiSv.exe).

bgolden

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2003, 01:33:30 PM »
Where do I find the help file for Resident Protection blocker? Couldn't find it on the web site or a button on the user interface. yeh, I know, I'm a newbie...

Walker

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2003, 04:03:03 PM »
popping up the usual error message when you have done slight error filling in, like password etc,

Not too sure what you mean about 'usual' error message or the 'slight error filing in'. What e-mail client are you using and have you tried running the 'wizard' again?

I'd like it to be screened, but not if it's hitty/missy with deliveries.

Avast shouldn't be hitty/missy once it's configured. The folks here will help get it right.

Walker.

Walker

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2003, 04:04:49 PM »
Where do I find the help file for Resident Protection blocker? Couldn't find it on the web site or a button on the user interface. yeh, I know, I'm a newbie...

Can you find what your looking for in Start -> All Programs -> Avast Anti-virus -> Help -> Resident protection ?

Walker.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2003, 04:19:47 PM »
bgolden: I believe you mean the so called "Behavior Blocker" (third page of the Standard Shield configuration window). It should block "suspicious" operations (i.e. operations often used by viruses, but sometimes by ordinary programs as well). It is a feature that was rather useful in the old DOS times, but is a little obsolete today. It's recommended to keep the default settings, unless you are an experienced user and know exactly what you want.
As already noted, the corresponding help page in the main avast help is:
Resident Protection / Standard Shield Provider Settings / "Blocker" Page.

bgolden

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2003, 08:51:04 PM »
Thanks for all of the advice, support and questions.
My printer is a Canon BJC 240L.  I have tried all of their troubleshooting suggestions. I do not have a firewall.
Right now, if I want to print something important, I uncheck both av programs in msconfig, restart and print. A bit cumbersome to say the least, but it works until we find an answer. Thanks again.

Phil K

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2003, 11:44:30 AM »
Sorry for the few days in between - work !
I keep getting the error box coming up as if my password isnt right (it is) and then "password rejected" yet later, there may well sometimes be an e-mail that DOES get through. Irritating to say the least.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2003, 01:19:25 PM »
Make sure that your firewall is not blocking connections created by the mail scanner (ashMaiSv.exe).

Phil, please try vojtech solution posted elsewhere: Yes there is a bug in the new version. It does not appear always, it depends on message size and network speed and that's why it was not revealed, I'm really sorry for this. Please try this fix: http://www2.asw.cz/~peterka/287/ashMaiSv.exe
The best things in life are free.

2adirondack

Re: Printer and Scanner wont work if Avast is on
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 04:38:44 PM »
I too had printer prob. Windows XP and Lexmark after replacing cartridges Avast will not allow a test page resulting in cartridge stall. definitely a prob w/ Avast blocking driver lxdncoms.exe/lxdnwbgw.ece. unfortunately you must remove Avast reset driver /print/  reload avast. worked for me.