Author Topic: Does Avast AOS take over Firefox Home Page?  (Read 9330 times)

REDACTED

Does Avast AOS take over Firefox Home Page?
« on: March 26, 2014, 01:53:21 AM »
Since the update to Avast Free 2014.9.0.2016, Firefox 28.0 has opened with the following web page: http://aos.avast.com/upgrade/1006.

This is more than a pop-up - it is a full web page! It looks as if Avast has taken over my home page in Firefox!!!

This web page asks me to confirm or re-set AOS settings, but if I attempt to confirm or re-set, another tab with an identical web page opens!!!

This sort of behaviour is virus-like. You can close the tabs, and the unwanted web page does not seem to re-appear until the computer is re-started, I think. But there it is again after that, taking over the Firefox home page! I haven't seen the unwanted page in IE11.

Is this a genuine Avast page, or a 3rd party virus? Can Avast do anything about it?

Avast Free 2014.9.0.2016, Firefox 28.0, Windows 8.1 Pro, 64 bit, Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware scans on demand, CCleaner, Advanced Uninstaller Pro.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Does Avast AOS take over Firefox Home Page?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 03:28:37 AM »
From the Firefox GUI go to "options" then set the page or pages you want to see upon start-up.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 05:05:47 AM »
Hi Para-Noid, Yes, my Firefox home page is still set to http://www.google.com.au

When I was told on here that this is a Firefox problem, I joined the Firefox forum and posted the details. A number of people said that the problem lay with Avast. A moderator said that it was not up to Firefox to work with Avast, but up to Avast to work with Firefox. So, if there are no helpful suggestions here, suppose I will have to open a support ticket. - Phil

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 11:46:16 AM »
We are seeing similar topics on this and it seems that the common factor is that the user is clearing the browser history, cookies, etc. ?

Are you clearing Private Data on closing firefox ?
The settings for the AOS add-on are retained in a cookie, so its deletion appears to throw up this or a very similar page/tab, the AOS Settings - enter this in the address window of firefox, chrome://wrc/content/options.html and enter - this not only allows you to view, but also change the AOS add-on's settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 11:52:32 AM »
Note: One has to keep this cookie: aosbrowserpluginlocalstoragescope.com
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 11:59:43 AM »

Strange I don't have that one in firefox (checked my CookieMonster add-on settings - view all cookies) and I don't have any problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 12:01:23 PM »

Strange I don't have that one in firefox (checked my CookieMonster add-on settings - view all cookies) and I don't have any problem.

Guess you've an exception for avast in CM..!?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 12:12:06 PM »
I have allowed avast.com and forum.avast.com (plus some other regular sites) permission to set persistent cookies in CM.

I don't allow 3rd party cookies - the remainder are only allowed to set session cookies, which get cleared when i shutdown firefox.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 12:14:02 PM »
I have allowed avast.com and forum.avast.com (plus some other regular sites) permission to set persistent cookies in CM.

That might explain it, still strange that it doesn't show up in CM, though.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 12:19:06 PM »

Hi David R and Asyn, I have set Firefox not to remember browsing history, so all cookies must be cleared, I guess. David, I did follow your link: chrome://wrc/content/options.html - and attempt to change settings. I'm not sure whether settings have been changed as the Avast interface did not open. Asyn, I opened tools, options, privacy in Firefox and attempted to tell Firefox to keep the above aosbrowserplugin cookie. However, I could not see how to specify keeping a particular cookie. Sorry for my ignorance. I hope you can tell me how to do that. Should I try to download CookieMonster add-on to specify keeping the cookie? - Regards, Phil

mikefishponds

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
I have Firefox 28.0. I too get an unwanted tab "http://aos.avast.com/upgrade/2006". I have my browser set to 'Always use private browsing mode' - I had to do this to stop Google leaving a persistent cookie! (I want to automatically be logged out of EVERYTHING if I close my browser).
I cannot set an exception to keep a FFX cookie. Even if I use a system other than 'always private' there does not appear to be a mechanism for KEEPING and exceptional cookie, only DELETING one.

I used to love Google, Firefox and Avast for their simplicity and ease of use. These companies appear to be pushing features at me that lose sight of their products initial appeal.

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 01:30:32 PM »
Use the almost 'must have' maintenance program: CCleaner > Options > Cookies and just find the cookie, highlight it and move it into the kept cookies list.

At the end of every online session just use CCleaner to delete everything else ie. all other cookies, browser history etc. This has always been standard practice for me.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 01:33:16 PM by Cluster-Lizard »

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 03:22:42 PM »
Hi Mike Fishponds,

Same here  :) Firefox has been set to 'Always use Private Browsing Mode' and 'Clear History when Firefox Closes'. That is, I have always used those settings - with NO PROBLEMS until the latest Avast 2014.9.0.2016! Following the suggestion here, I installed the CookieMonster add-on, but even with that add-on I couldn't work out how to specify separately keeping the Avast settings cookie in the privacy settings for Firefox! - The dialogue isn't intuitive, or I am more stupid than I realize. Yes, Mike, I used to love Firefox and Avast for their ease of use  >:(  - Then Cluster-Lizard makes a suggestion that I CAN follow! I've always used CCleaner but have never had to allow cookies by exception. So, I unticked 'Clear History when Firefox Closes' in the privacy dialogue and then opened CCleaner and was able to specify to keep the Avast settings cookie (aosbrowserpluginlocalstoragescope.com) in the the CCleaner cookies dialogue before clicking 'clean' in that program. Presto - I could open to my Google Search home page in Firefox without the intrusion of the Avast settings page! So, a much nicer start to browsing, but a compulsory custom clean-out in CCleaner to retain that easy access to my home page   :-\ - I hope that the support ticket that I've opened turns up some help from Avast - or someone posting here can explain how to specificy the cookie to be retained (using Cookie Monster) in the Firefox privacy dialogue. Whew! - A lot of messing around compared with previous experience using Avast and Firefox! - Makes you consider uninstalling and going back to the previous Avast version - but then you wonder about reduced security. - Makes you wonder whether to reconsider Internet Explorer. I don't like Chrome, because, Google, who want you to use their search engine, don't make it easy for you to work extensively with bookmarks as you can in Firefox and IE. - Makes you consider another antivirus program, though I love the lightness, comprehensive protection and (previous) ease of using Avast.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 10:59:10 AM »
Hi users, here is the reply from Avast Technical Support and my response with what I've learned on the Firefox and Avast forums.

Hello Phil!
Thank you for contacting AVAST Software company with your concerns.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
Try delete cookies from your browser. You can use example Ccleaner for this.

Please let me know.
Best Regards

(Name)
Technical Support
AVAST Software s.r.o.

Hi (Name),

I learned on the Avast users' forum that the Avast AOS cookie should be kept and not deleted when closing Firefox browser. This cookie is aosbrowserpluginlocalstoragescope.com

This cookie is needed to load Avast AOS in the browser. It is not possible to choose to keep just one cookie in the Firefox privacy settings. Therefore, I have been advised by users in the Avast and Firefox forums to keep all cookies when closing Firefox, and then use CCleaner to  delete cookies, that is, except for the cookie that I have mentioned. CCleaner allows you to keep specified cookies. After doing this I can re-open Firefox in my chosen Home Page, Google Search, and the unwanted Avast settings page does not appear because the cookie mentioned has already loaded the settings.

This is a temporary work-around. It is not necessary to specify retaining an Avast cookie when closing Internet Explorer 11 or Google Chrome, even when all browsing history is deleted on closing both of those browsers. It should not be necessary in Firefox 28. Moderators on the Firefox forum say that it is the responsibility of  Avast to program effective links with Firefox, and not the other way around.

If you search for 'avast aos firefox home page' in the Avast and Firefox users' forums, you will see that other users are experiencing the problem that I have brought to your attention. These users suggested the work-around of keeping all cookies when closing Firefox and keeping the Avast AOS cookie in CCleaner when deleting others there. However, this is an unsatisfactory situation for your customers. Casual users will not know or find this work-around.

Will you please notify Avast programmers of this failure in the Avast/Firefox interface. Will you please confirm with me that Avast programmers will address the issue in the next program update? Please confirm.

Regards, Phil

Windows 8.1 Pro x 64, Avast Free 2014.9.0.2016, Firefox 28.0, CCleaner, Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware scans on demand, Advance Uninstaller, PerfectDisk defragmenter.