Author Topic: Windows XP logon problem (problem with explorer.exe)  (Read 1980 times)

EgiCz

Windows XP logon problem (problem with explorer.exe)
« on: March 30, 2014, 09:37:41 PM »
Hello, please, let me describe my problem ...

After some actualization few days (1 or 2 weeks ago) a problem started to occur in my Windows XP with Avast free (smallest installation).

After OS start when I try to log in, logon process hangs, Explorer.exe doesn't start up to desktop. I must run taskmanager, stop explorer.exe and start it again as a new task.

There is unknown process running: 0d79850e-6a6b-4355-b7c5-e9c8bd81df15.exe (I have tried to reinstall Avast, before reinstallation there was two similar processes). This exe file is located in C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\setup\emupdate.

My deduction is - any afterlogon update routine stuck?

Did anybody already seen such behavior?

Thanks

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 09:44:40 PM by EgiCz »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Windows XP logon problem (problem with explorer.exe)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 09:49:05 PM »
    C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\setup\emupdate.
Avast emeregency updater..... search forum for info

Undead-Divine-Assassin

Re: Windows XP logon problem (problem with explorer.exe)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 12:53:32 AM »
Easiest way to test whether that is the culprit is to use CCleaner > Start Up > Scheduled Tasks and disable, not delete,  the avast! Emergency Update entry which is what that .exe file is.

Try rebooting and seeing if the logon problem is solved. I suspect Avast will give you dire warning messages that you've turned off auto-updates.

If it is this then you could try the Repair option from Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Avast.

But, from past evidence here, I wouldn't be surprised if you have to do a full unistall/reinstall of Avast using the forum recommended toolset. Good luck.