Author Topic: Opt out  (Read 22145 times)

sef

Opt out
« on: March 31, 2014, 05:34:54 PM »
I just update to the latest version. A large message talks about privacy and what Avast collects. It also states to opt out of sharing, etc., to go to your account and there you can opt out. I find no place to opt out. How does one opt out?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Opt out
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 07:04:30 PM »
You can opt-out from within the GUI. GUI>Settings>Community

Why do you not want to participate? The information gathered is not personal but relates to avast and helps avast become better.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

sef

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 07:14:28 PM »
Wrong Opt out.

I know about opting out of the community. This is a new opt out message that has never come up before. On updating the process is stopped with a large box that must be read. This explains the Avast data collection and marketing policies. Here it states to opt out of third party marketing you must go into your Avast account and opt out from there. Only, there is no opt out option in my account pages. I have accessed my account from inside Avast and online at the Avast website. No opt out at either location.

newview

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 12:06:07 AM »
Wrong Opt out.

I know about opting out of the community. This is a new opt out message that has never come up before. On updating the process is stopped with a large box that must be read. This explains the Avast data collection and marketing policies. Here it states to opt out of third party marketing you must go into your Avast account and opt out from there. Only, there is no opt out option in my account pages. I have accessed my account from inside Avast and online at the Avast website. No opt out at either location.

I just updated and also saw this Avast notice of data collection for marketing.
I also looked everywhere in the Avast GUI for the opt-out. 

Apparently it's hidden pretty good..

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 12:27:52 AM »
I couldn't find anything about opting-out at the my.avast.com website. But, I do know this, whenever you download
and install "any" software the producers have a record of it somewhere. avast uses some of this information to know
how many machines are protected by them and to send vps updates. avast also uses this information to find out how
each person uses their products. By doing this avast is in a better position for future development purposes.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

been

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 12:47:27 AM »
Offering an opt out then not following through could create legal issues, especially within the EU. I'd suggest that Avast might want to quickly clarify the situation.

dwmtractor

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 01:06:57 PM »
I agree with the above posters ... Avast! has created an expectation that (1) they will do targeted marketing to our account unless we opt out and (2) that they have provided a way to opt out.  To fail to offer this option is unacceptable.

I am getting very close to uninstalling Avast!  The only reason I have yet to do so is that I've been too busy to research an alternative.   But between their bundling of crapware and their marketing strategies, it is becoming clear that Avast! has jumped the shark in terms of ethically handling their customers.  This is just one more piece of evidence.

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 10:31:51 AM »
Hi guys,

sorry for the confusion, will correct the message. You can opt-out in the browser plugin settings, checkbox "CommunityIQ".
I apologize for the confusion.

AdrianH

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 11:41:55 AM »
Hi guys,

sorry for the confusion, will correct the message. You can opt-out in the browser plugin settings, checkbox "CommunityIQ".

And what happens if you do not use the browser plugins?

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 11:55:14 AM »
Hi guys,

Good question.

AdrianH

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 03:04:54 PM »

If you have not installed it, you are not exposed to its features.

There is nothing in the Privacy Notice to suggest that avast will only collect information if you install the browser plugins.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 03:07:40 PM »
Which browser plug ins?   ???

AdrianH

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 03:27:34 PM »
Which browser plug ins?   ???

::) ::)  

The AVAST browser plugins  :-X :o

Tetsuo

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 04:15:11 PM »

If you have not installed it, you are not exposed to its features.

There is nothing in the Privacy Notice to suggest that avast will only collect information if you install the browser plugins.

I didn't mean that Avast will only collect information if you install the browser plugin. Actually Avast collects info also when you click on the GUI -  but that's another story...
I just said that if you have not installed it (the plugin), you don't have to worry about  the plugin itself collecting info - and obviously you cannot opt out, since you have not installed it!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 04:17:20 PM by Tetsuo »

DeadCaL

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 01:58:40 AM »
Hi guys,

Where is this exactly?  The Firefox extension has no options to speak of from within Firefox.