Author Topic: Firefox 28 now always launching with Avast! Online Security Tab open  (Read 23070 times)

shnew

My system, Win 7 SP1, x64, current on MS patches. Since updating to 2014.9.0.2016 yesterday I find that Firefox (v.28) now *always* opens with the Avast! Online Security page (http://aos.avast.com/upgrade/2006). I've changed open with last session, open only with homepage, open with blank page. I already had my system set to allow avast.com cookies; I added aosbrowserpluginlocalstoragescope.com as allowed cookies; I've deleted all avast cookies. I flushed my browser cache; I tried changing settings on the page and saving (which spawns *17*, count 'em, 17 additional tabs). The webpage from hell refuses to abide by Firefox preferences (you do realize, that is a definition of malware?).

Strangely, none of my other browsers suffer from this problem (IE 11, PaleMoon (24.4.1), or Opera 12.16). My security add-ons for FF/PM: Adblock Plus, Ghostery, NoScript, Self-Destructing Cookies; for Opera: Adblock Plus, Ghostery. For IE, I just have the security settings on high as I almost never use it.

I understand from others' tickets citing this problem that Avast has decided to put user options in cookies rather than following Mozilla practice of placing access to options either in the extension listing under Add-ons or in the Toolbar Add-on icon.  I've also noted that the attitude in the forum seems to be users shouldn't be using only session cookies or in-private browsing and we should just 'suck it up' and stop complaining. Frankly, I find this to be an inexplicable design/security choice and an unacceptable attitude. Many of us have been concerned about site/advertisers' tracking even before the Snowden revelations. For a (so-called) security company to program option control using cookies is (to my mind) totally brain-dead (not to put to fine a point on it!).

The kicker? I had put Avast on my brother-in-law's system and he had been caught two updates back by the Avast-update-kills-IE bug. He was waiting for me to update my system to confirm it was safe for him to proceed with this update.

I've used Avast for years and put it on friends' and relatives' machines. I have not been too happy with the latest changes/additions (UI changes where the program claims its status is  OK even when it is out of date on its program version, Software Updater, Browser Cleanup, GrimeFighter -- does jack of all trades/master of none ring a bell?). Sorry Avast, you have lost me with this one.

a disappointed user :(

chuxterino

Re: Firefox 28 now always launching with Avast! Online Security Tab open
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 06:42:28 AM »
I too am suffering from this annoying issue.  Only firefox 28, not IE11 or Chrome suffer from it.  I have contacted support but they only give you the repair/uninstall suggestions which do not work.  Please fix this annoying issue.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 06:49:37 AM »
There are numerous posts on the forum relating to Firefox 28 and AOS, best option at this period in time is to go to remove programs and click to uninstall avast, once the popup screen appears choose change and untick Browser Protection or any other feature not wanted.

shnew

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 04:37:21 PM »
dear craigb

Thanks for replying.

Just to clarify: Avast's recommended solution is to turn off Browser protection (?). Does not this module protect me against accidentally connecting to a dodgy site?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 04:54:11 PM »
AOS has phishing and tracking protection ( adblocking ) but the Avast webshield is still protecting you against online threats so I don't think you lose much.

zebop

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 11:24:28 PM »
There are numerous posts on the forum relating to Firefox 28 and AOS, best option at this period in time is to go to remove programs and click to uninstall avast, once the popup screen appears choose change and untick Browser Protection or any other feature not wanted.

I'll give it a shot, but I'm really disappointed Avast has chosen to install this dumb code that doesn't play well with Firefox.   ???

leo1052Uk

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 06:50:38 PM »
There is a simple solution to sorting the avast security tab which appears when you start firefox without stressing yourself out with all sorts of complicated notions, the tab appears with the same url universally when you install an update with your present installation of avast. The reason it happens is because it effectively installs an add on in firefox which is responsible for opening the tab but the add on is effectively a programme which you won't see if you check your addons, it's naughty of avast to have done this some would go as far as to say it is malware, it does it in the background with the update and doesn't seek your permission, but it's infuriating when you discover the problem. The simple solution is to uninstall avast and restart your computer. If you have CCleaner then use it before reinstalling avast which is what you need to do, if you don't have the cleaner then at least run your disk clean up before installing again. Go to the avast site not a download site and download the latest free version of avast from their website, don't run the program, save it to your own computer and run it from there, if you click run and don't save initially you will more than likely have the same problem again. Once downloaded to your PC run the program from there watch carefully, untick any boxes re downloading google chrome if you don't want it and carefully watch what happens, firefox at some stage will show a screen either in installation or when you start it up asking if you want to run the program that will install the add-on you just got rid of which is the tab you don't want any more, you won't get an option to say no just a continue button, don't click it click the x in the top right corner of the box to close the window and bingo you will have cracked it, the tab will not appear again and your frustration will be over. If this doesn't work for you then contact avast and let them know what's happening, I did and they were pretty fed up with it, if enough people complain they will eventually sort it. Hope this helps and Good luck. It's worth persevering because avast is a good program and its a shame about this problem. PS it doesn't affect any other browsers so don't even think about it, and if you try putting an add on into firefox that blocks a web url that will not work either, it will block the web page from displaying but the tab will still load, what I've told you is the plain facts without going into all the tech stuff and it really does work. :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:01:21 PM by leo1052Uk »

Paul_D

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 08:04:18 PM »
You're blocking cookies, right?

Allow site cookies, block third party cookies.

djpaulwb

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 05:20:50 AM »
An easier solution is to just go to Tools in the menu bar and click on add-ons, where you can disable Avast Online Security. Close out Firefox completely and restart it and the tab will be gone. Hopefully, this will just be a temporary measure until the Avast support team fixes the problem.

kmxsoft

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 10:29:29 AM »
I am also suffering from this very tiresome screen. I raised a support call with Avast about it at the end of last week - and they still haven't replied.

This is so tiresome I am reviewing options for replacing Avast with a competitive product which won't push unwanted web pages into my face each time I start my browser.

shnew

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 05:09:03 PM »
craigb,

sorry for the delay in replying.

I have removed the AOS module and the issue has been resolved.

A suggestion for the developers: this is a security product. It is nice that you are adding all sorts of additional functionality, but I would suggest that priority should be assigned to getting the *core* functionality working first, before adding bells and whistles. I may be misreading Avasts' attitude (and apologies if so) but there seems to be a certain indifference to the impact to non-techie users of said broken functionality. I am a computer professional and can deal with uninstalling/reinstalling/tweaking a faulty update (or rollback to a prior image); your 'average' user cannot. With these considerations I am no longer able to recommend Avast to non-techie users. I say this with regret, as I used to be able to recommend Avast unhesitatingly.

thanks for your assistance.

(I don't see that there is any way to mark this ticket as resolved)

GaiusBaltar

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 07:54:31 PM »
Here is what I do not understand:

I am not an IT expert but gained a tiny bit of PC knowledge during the last years by constantly following new security aspects that arise every now and then.

As far as I know deleting the browser history including cookies is what is usualy suggested/recommended to protect your privacy. So to delete the browser history incl. cookies when exiting Firefox or whatever your browser of choice is (or when running a program like CCleaner), seems to be a pretty good idea.

Then why are the AOS settings with the new program version now stored via a cookie when it should be common knowledge within the avast! team that cookies are what one concerned with security and privacy is very likely to delete regularly? What was wrong with not storing the AOS settings in the form of a cookie as it was done with the previous avast! versions? I mean, I simply do not get it... Is "SafePrice" a reason for that?

Instead it is now suggested to get rid of AOS as a whole when it is supposed to add an extra layer of security (as far as I know AOS offers phishing and tracking protection)??? Or change several browser settings??? What?

Do not get me wrong, I like avast! a lot!!! It has always worked great for me. And I guess the avast! team has already noticed that users are complaining mainly about the issues with AOS in the latest version of the program. For a while I considered switching to a different AV because of the issues with AOS, but I have changed my mind... for now.

I completely agree with "shnew". This is a security product that should focus on exactly that, security! And ease of use! I now have to open the AOS settings and unclick this completely absurd "SafePrice" thing every time I start Firefox since I absolutely will not allow any cookies to be stored permanently.

So my simple suggestion to the avast! team (who still have a great free AV here, let us not forget that) is to change the storing for the AOS settings back to the way it was before this version, not as a cookie, with the next version. This suggestion is made with all due respect to everyone involved with the development and maintaining of the program. It has worked before and deleting cookies was not a problem then. And a thing like "SafePrice" in an AV? I firmly believe it does not belong in any AV. Please do not let this otherwise great AV become bloated! If it will, I do not see myself using it for much longer... I want an AV that concentrates on protection as I am sure all avast! users do!

Sorry if my english is not perfect. I hope you get what I mean to say.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 07:56:52 PM by GaiusBaltar »

xlander

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 04:25:43 AM »
I am about to test and will let you know but this is FF specific. You will have to remove the extension from the add ons I think. Then you don't have to open all the security holes that others suggested.

xlander

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 04:32:07 AM »
Yep removing the add on removes the spam page. Guess I will have to remember what the other add on was that had the same function without all the garbage. Basically the add o-on is only supposed to have a little icon on your searches in google, bing, et cetera. The icon has bars and tells you if the site is trusted by other avast users, or if it has been pre-flaggged as having malicious things on it by avast.

Now that they have screwed it up by adding this popup spam page to tell you about privacy it has to be removed... all because of either a lawyer or a low thought process by the program writer.

Offline Sorzy

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 05:01:37 PM »
I think I'm having the same gosh damn problem. This, coupled with the last one I've had, and am still having, that even after contacting Avast, creating a support ticket, sending them numerous support packages from my computer, and of which still hasn't been fixed or resolved, I'm fed up with Avast and CAN NOT FRIGGIN' wait until my subscription ends.

As for the comment, no one is forcing us to use Firefox? <<< This was from another thread where I posted this because I felt it was talking about the same problem and since this was definitely was, rather then re-typw it or type another reply, I just copy and pasted that reply in this thread. :)  You're right. No one is forcing us. It's a choice, it's our choice and we've chosen to use it and it;s really none of your concern. Sorry, I'm fed up. And whether or not we use it isn't your business and it's not the problem. The problem is Avast. And I think the problem is Avast is utilized more for and or geared more for that intrusive company and their products, in this case specifically, the product google chrome. Which I refuse to use because google is intrusive.

But I digress. And sorry, I'm pissed and as I said, I'M FED UP WITH AVAST!

Anyhow, ever since the last update, program update that is, I'm getting a second tab opening up when I first open Firefox v. 28.0. I've clicked the settings link in that page, unchecked the participate in community data collecting, or whatever the hell it is, as well as another item. I clicked save and it NEVER FRIGGIN' SAVES IT! Every time I open Firefox, where it be that same day, the next day, or whatever, that damn tab opens telling me about the changes to Avast.

And what's weird, it says or has upgrade/2006 in the link.  2006? really? WTF! Here's the web address....  http://aos.avast.com/upgrade/2006   Copy and paste it into your browsers address bar and you'll see what I see EVERY TIME I OPEN FIREFOX. And it isn't what I see that has me pissed. What has me pissed is I can't get it to stop opening. If you open the page, you'll see a couple links to the same place. One says settings page and the other, further below that one, says enable and disable services in settings. They both take you to the same place. I've clicked both and unchecked the same things I want unchecked in both, clicked save in both and it seems to only save the settings I've changed until I close my browser. Then, the next time I open my browser, I have to do the same gosh damn s**t all over again. After a week or so of having to do and go through this, I'm fed up and pissed. I'm sick of these little problems.

Sorry for my obvious attitude, frustration and anger. But I'm fed up. Ever since the upgrade to Avast 2014, Avast has been nothing but a royal pain in my ass! And I can't wait to get rid of it. If they gave me a full refund today, I'd uninstall it, remove my trace/s of it in the registry and I'd do so as soon as the friggin' check cleared!

And for those who will chime in telling me to start my own thread or say not to use another persons thread to vent, BITE ME! If the problem I'm having pertains to or is the same problem they're having, I'm chiming in. Don't like it, oh well.

By the way, FWIW, I went to my FF add-ons and disabled Avast Online Security. I've yet to close my browser and re-open to verify. Wanted to finish the things I was doing, am doing and need to do and why I got online in the first place. :) Trust me, I'll let you know if it didn't work!!! :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 05:09:06 PM by Sorzy »