Author Topic: New install of Avast 2014 on Win 7 x64 ultimate. Avast service won't start.  (Read 2807 times)

bizzybody

I used the offline installer for Avast and the service will not start. If I run services.msc and manually start the Avast service it immediately stops. Is this a conflict with Windows Defender? (I plan on disabling that.)

The user account has Administrator rights. When I installed Avast I ran it as an administrator.

It's not a problem with any remnants of other AV software since this is a clean install of Win 7. If there's some prerequisites for Avast's service to run, it would be nice if Avast would pop up a box saying exactly what it requires in order to work - instead of just failing to work.

Windows is still periodically downloading updates and demanding to be restarted (like I said, new install). Hopefully it'll pick up whatever it is Avast needs but is being secretive about.

Whatever the problem is, a quick Google shows it's a very widespread one and it would be nice if it would get fixed right away!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Did you install Windows like this?

- Disconnect from the Internet (pull out the cable)
- Install windows (format the drive ofcourse)
- Install ALL drivers for your system
- Install avast
- Connect to the Internet
- Install all updates security/drivers (especially the security updates/service pack)
- Install the applications you are normally using
- Make settings/configurations changes is you want/need
- Create a image of that drive

That last one will safe you a lot of time in case you need to/want to reinstall windows again.

bizzybody

And that's the point where I am and the Avast service will not start!

Offline CaptainLeonidas

• Security rests between the display and the chair.
Start Windows in safe mode. start a command line box (cmd) from Run.
Start services.msc and look for Avast services. Try to see if you get things going by using delayed startup for those services.

Restart and see if you get into your normal windows mode.

Update Avast when you have a working desktop.

Word of the wise... Install Avast using Custom Installation. If you install default you get a alot maybe never used software extra. Try to choose the stuff you need only. That way you will have less issue's with outdated software or unwanted software just being there.

You can change the installation anytime via control panel -> program and features and then select Avast and change.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 12:04:14 PM by CaptainLeonidas »
OS's used: Windows 10 Pro (x64) 1607 <-> Windows 7 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 8.1 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 2012 Essentials R2 (x64)
Avast Internet Security (sub for 10 PC's), HPM.Alert, Malwarebytes, Asus-x99 Deluxe/U3.1 (Intel Core i7 X980 EE - 64Gb Ram - NVidia Geforce x980 - Samsung PCI-e 950Pro 512 SSD), Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (6th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU - 16Gb Ram - 512 SSD)
When installing Avast! be sure to use the custom install... never the default!

bizzybody

I always choose custom install, especially on free software, because most of it comes packed with at least one Do Not Want "extra".

Offline CaptainLeonidas

• Security rests between the display and the chair.
quick question, your current version of the Avast is?

I believe the Avast version before .....2018 had some service-issue's.

If you still have an old offline installer try to get the most current version and do a clean install of Avast with that latest version.
OS's used: Windows 10 Pro (x64) 1607 <-> Windows 7 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 8.1 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 2012 Essentials R2 (x64)
Avast Internet Security (sub for 10 PC's), HPM.Alert, Malwarebytes, Asus-x99 Deluxe/U3.1 (Intel Core i7 X980 EE - 64Gb Ram - NVidia Geforce x980 - Samsung PCI-e 950Pro 512 SSD), Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (6th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU - 16Gb Ram - 512 SSD)
When installing Avast! be sure to use the custom install... never the default!

bizzybody

I just downloaded it a few days ago to install on a Windows 8.1 x64 system.

Mine is Windows 7 x64. I'll try the Avast removal tool, and try the online installer to see if it will actually work.

bizzybody

That worked. Unstalling then scraping out the remains in safe mode with the remover tool, then using the online installer made it work.

I also downloaded the latest offline install, which was a bit larger than the one I'd recently downloaded. Apparently the one I had just happened to have a doesn't-work-with-Win7-x64 glitch.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: New install, Win 7 x64 ultimate. Avast service won't start. [SOLVED]
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 12:12:50 PM »
Thanks for letting us know it works now.