Author Topic: I can't grasp how exclusions work in XP  (Read 1834 times)

cooby

I can't grasp how exclusions work in XP
« on: April 02, 2014, 06:43:01 PM »
WindowsXP, free Avast .2016
There are few programs that I don't want scanned because speed of starting them is important.
I put a directory path of few utilities I have into file exclusions.
I could not put in specific .exe or .sys file used by the utility to load a driver. Global permission for \system32\drivers would be unacceptable.
I tried playing with the read, write, execute checkmarks on the excluded items under FileShield menu.
I tried duplicating few items to also be under DeepScreen list, no idea why there are two places. Here I was able to enter specific .exe files on the DeepScreen tab, yet they're scanned as well.

Somehow things are still scanned but few do work according to some exclusion setting.
I just can't understand how it's all supposed to be setup, nor can I draw any conclusions of what works due to multiple places of entering those exclusions.

Is there some sort of description of hierarchy or sequence of what's scanned and exactly when?

cooby

Re: I can't grasp how exclusions work in XP
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 04:13:19 AM »
Bump :)
Perhaps if I set Avast to scan only on Write it'll be quieter, but then I'd worry about some website doing memory injection. Makes sense or not?