Author Topic: RegClean Pro not wanted on Download  (Read 5966 times)

DGFerris

RegClean Pro not wanted on Download
« on: April 02, 2014, 11:43:14 PM »
Hi all. I want to download Avast! Free (highly recommended by ComputerActive magazine), but without downloading RegClean Pro as well; I already have a similar program installed. There doesn't seem to be a choice in the Download page. Thanks for help!     

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: RegClean Pro not wanted on Download
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 11:47:35 PM »
where do you download avast from?

direct liks in first post here   http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=147778.0

propheticus

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 01:11:43 AM »
Regclean Pro is a piece of crap, pardon my French. It's fluffware that does more harm than good (almost all reg cleaning is useless and in the worst case even harmful). So you're absolutely right in not wanting any of it. Be careful with the 'similar' app you've got though.
I'm curious where this app is bundled with Avast, as I find it highly unlikely they would do this themselves...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:14:04 AM by propheticus »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 01:40:24 AM »
If you want to download avast and it comes with any other software, the location where you are trying to get it from is not trustworthy.
avast doesn't come with crap.

DGFerris

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 10:36:41 PM »
Hi all, thanks for replying.  Pondus, the Avast! download was redirected to a site called 'Download.cnet.com'. Avast's page was greyed out, with RegClear Pro in front.

I agree, Eddy, that Avast wouldn't knowingly bundle what ComputerActive magazine calls a PUP with their download. Seems PUPs attach their 'crap' program to normal good ones in order to do their work.   I became alarmed when every time I clicked on 'Decline' it just moved me forward to the Install button! Even at that point there was no way to get out of the process except by shutting down via Task Manager.

The question now is: Where can I get a clean download? Are there other sites that do the job?

Thanks again for your help.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 10:47:11 PM »
I use either filehippo.com or softpedia.com for most of my downloads.
If you use download.com (cnet.com) use a lot of caution before clicking.
They, cnet.com, are well known to bundle their own software with a download.
Of course the best bet is always the vendors website.  8)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

ram1220

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 11:51:19 PM »
 Cnet used to be a good site to download files from years ago. But over the past few years they have started to bundle junk with whatever download someone wants. I would just avoid Cnet in the future.

iroc9555

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 12:24:19 AM »
The question now is: Where can I get a clean download? Are there other sites that do the job

The link that Pondus gave you is from the main avast! topic where you can find the direct avast! server links. If you want it easier, this is the link: http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 12:38:29 AM »
Be cautious with download links. Tried to download a tool from a developer site and avast! saved my day by blocking a hidden install of Bing_Real_Bar_195.exe crapware or worm. More and more almost all developers try to bundle bloatware and crapware either openly or hidden to earn some pennies whenever they can, it is a present day common annoyance,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Paul_D

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 01:34:52 AM »
I agree, Eddy, that Avast wouldn't knowingly bundle what ComputerActive magazine calls a PUP with their download. Seems PUPs attach their 'crap' program to normal good ones in order to do their work.   I became alarmed when every time I clicked on 'Decline' it just moved me forward to the Install button! Even at that point there was no way to get out of the process except by shutting down via Task Manager.
If Avast allow CNet to be used as a download site, they ARE knowingly allowing other software to be bundled with it, because that's what CNet does, and a substantial proportion of the computer community are aware of that.

Re PUPs in general. The keyword there is the first "P", which stands for "Potentially". Many PUPs are not inherently bad, it's the underhanded delivery methods that are. I have several PUPs specifically excluded from reporting in MalwareBytes because they are programs I wanted and installed deliberately myself.

When I look for a program or update my preferences are:-

1. The author's site, if it offers direct download.

2. MajorGeeks.

3. FileHippo.

Some sites that definitely bundle:- CNET., Download.com, Softonic, Soft32, Tucows, SourceForge, Softomate, Brothersoft, Filewon.com. That is NOT an exhaustive list.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 01:38:41 AM by Paul_D »

DGFerris

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 10:09:47 PM »
Hi all.   THANKS FELLAS!   Your help is exactly what I needed.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 10:14:06 PM »
You're welcome.