Author Topic: Registration failure  (Read 1529 times)

JoeBloggs

Registration failure
« on: April 02, 2014, 07:01:13 PM »
Avast 9.0.2016 reminds me that my registration is about to expire but multiple attempts to update registration have failed.  A small popup appears with a "Loading" message, nothing happens and it disappears after about 10-15 seconds.

Any ideas?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Registration failure
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 07:31:22 PM »
It could be server issues. If you have a few days until expiry, then you can try again at a later date.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 12:48:19 AM »
This is, quite literally, a perennial problem with Avast. I have just had my own reminder that I have to re-register next month and I'm dreading the possible hassle as by then I'm likely to have two new PCs to register as well.

The last time I did a manual re-registration but the time before I had to do a full re-install of Avast because the flakey re-registration process mysteriously installed the trial version of the full package they were pushing at the time. I couldn't get rid of it (the forum tools that are available now weren't then) and I ended up installing a very old version I had on a magazine disc over it. Registered that without any trouble and then updated it to the then current version.

I really don't want that sort of trouble again and this post does not encourage me that what should be a simple process is going to be smooth and trouble free.

One thing I would say is that I seem to remember in the past the re-registration process apparently wouldn't work before a certain date (not the expiry date). Of course sending e-mail reminders about re-registration a month in advance with no warnings about that meant people reported similar failed re-registration problems when they tried to do it immediately on receipt of the reminder.       

JoeBloggs

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 12:48:57 PM »
This is, quite literally, a perennial problem with Avast. I have just had my own reminder that I have to re-register next month and I'm dreading the possible hassle as by then I'm likely to have two new PCs to register as well.

The last time I did a manual re-registration but the time before I had to do a full re-install of Avast because the flakey re-registration process mysteriously installed the trial version of the full package they were pushing at the time. I couldn't get rid of it (the forum tools that are available now weren't then) and I ended up installing a very old version I had on a magazine disc over it. Registered that without any trouble and then updated it to the then current version.

I really don't want that sort of trouble again and this post does not encourage me that what should be a simple process is going to be smooth and trouble free.

One thing I would say is that I seem to remember in the past the re-registration process apparently wouldn't work before a certain date (not the expiry date). Of course sending e-mail reminders about re-registration a month in advance with no warnings about that meant people reported similar failed re-registration problems when they tried to do it immediately on receipt of the reminder.     

I certainly don't want to go through the rigmarole you describe.  I'll keep trying until a week before the current registration and if it fails again, I'll remove all traces of Avast from my system and look for another program.

I do some consulting and have routinely recommended Avast to clients, most of whom opted for paid-for versions.  If this nonsense continues, I'll steer them and future clients towards another solution.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 12:51:30 PM by JoeBloggs »