Author Topic: unable to uninstall avast.  (Read 3240 times)

n7zzt

unable to uninstall avast.
« on: April 15, 2014, 10:51:19 PM »
I am running into a serous problem with avast on my windows 7 laptop. Basically, the program is interfering with the operation of JAWS (a windows screen reader for the blind). THese problems are serious enough to warrant uninstalling the suite. However, any attempt to uninstall results in no action being taken. The icon still appears in the installed programs index of add/remove programs (control panel). I have even tried to manually uninstall the suite, but have run into the problem that states that the directory cannot be deleted *insufficient privileges
). I am doing this as an administrator.

I have also tried to use the in installation utility located in the downloads area of this site. Still no joy (avast won't uninstall). As it is right now, I can't use that machine for anything useful and I definitely cannot use it in safe mode to fully uninstall the program (either by control panel or manually).

I need some serious help here. since no screen reader that I know of will work in safe mode, that leaves me with no alternative but to have to pay out real money (that I don't have) to get my one windows machine properly working again. THere are several specialized utilities that I must be able to use (like Kerzqwil scan and jaws. Reinstalling jaws on a new installation will cost me a lot of money for a new key. so, what can I do about this? the Antivirus suite has not only made my machine difficult to use, it is now costing me in lost work and real money.

Direct questions can be sent to me here: eric.oyen@gmail.com

thanks.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: unable to uninstall avast.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 11:15:58 PM »
I use Freedom Scientific JAWS 15 on two of my Windows PC and haven't encountered any issues.

Looking at the error it seems your avast has gone corrupt:

There's 2 ways to use the uninstall tool:

1. Run in safe mode (which you can't since JAWS wouldn't work)
2. Disable avast! self defence through avast! UI > Settings > Troubleshooting

#2 will then enable you to run the removal tool in normal mode.

After you have run that tool, it's best to run this tool to clear some files avastclear may miss.

Links:

Avastclear : http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe
Rejzors Uninstall tool: http://rejzor.wordpress.com/avast-cleanup-tool/

Once you get it removed, it's up to you if you wish to try avast! again since there isn't any issues with screen readers.

On another note, if you remove JAWS from one PC and put it on another new one, you can use the same license.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •