Author Topic: Emergency Update 2013-11-21?  (Read 129376 times)

cooby

Re: Emergency Update 2013-11-21?
« Reply #225 on: February 26, 2014, 05:36:59 AM »
I believe there were three Files on FEB 21 that Outpost Flagged,
Three today flagged here as well by my firewall, and some BugReport whatever that is

hake

« Reply #226 on: February 26, 2014, 10:21:30 AM »
Seem to have had a lot of these in the last few days.  How does it help personal vigilance when it causes firewalls to falsely cry "Wolf!"

Since these are deposited into a folder which falls under the scope of Avast self-defence protection, wouldn't it be better to use fixed names and a reliance on digital signing?  I have to respond around nine times to my firewall's prompts for each emergency update.

Why all the sticking plaster anyway?

GreggH

« Reply #227 on: February 26, 2014, 02:52:17 PM »
Would you rather have to perform a physical program update rather than using the AvastEmUpdate function for what may be a small update.

DavidR.... I would rather not, of course, however, I am also certain that not one of these "emergency" updates has been installed on my system, simply because they are all applied via a RunOnce in the registry and that does not happen unless the system is booted. Mine is on 24/7 and only rebooted as/when needed for a programme update or if I install something that requires it. Since nothing in Avast tells me that there are such "emergency" updates to be applied, I have no reason to reboot and thus, they are NOT applied. So much for an "emergency" update.

And then of course comes the question... if I reboot now, is only the most recent "emergency" update applied? If so, is it cumulative over those three updates? And if this is not the case, how "emergency" were they that Avast should risk them not being applied in this fashion. I am certain that I am not the only user who does not shut down his machine daily, or reboot it for no reason and who, therefore, may not have any such "emergency" updates applied and/or might miss some by only rebooting occasionally.

IOW, I would rather have to perform a physical programme update than NOT apply so-called "emergency" updates because I have no idea that in order to apply what I don't know is there, I have to restart my system to get it. Of course, this begs the question to Avast... are they truly "emergency" updates that should be applied right away (in case another comes down the pike tomorrow) or are they just a matter of convenience for Avast, to fix something in the programme without telling anyone that it needs be fixed or has been fixed.

And in case you are wondering, DavidR, I do NOT check the contents of that Avast EmUpdate folder on an hourly or even daily basis, to see if Avast has decided my programme needs an update in an "emergency" that isn't really an emergency.

Gregg

thedarkness

« Reply #228 on: April 30, 2014, 06:59:33 PM »
I have been getting the 'emergency update' black screen upon boot also every once in a while also, for months now up to the latest version. I thought it might be a firewall issue at first (privatefirewall) but everything for avast was allowed through

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #229 on: April 30, 2014, 07:05:16 PM »
I received an emergency update both yesterday and the day before and I hadn't restarted my computer prior to the 2 updates.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #230 on: April 30, 2014, 08:37:23 PM »
I have been getting the 'emergency update' black screen upon boot also every once in a while also, for months now up to the latest version. I thought it might be a firewall issue at first (privatefirewall) but everything for avast was allowed through

It is possibly more likely that the emergency update is in progress, but for some it isn't that quick. I had this happen for the first time on my win7 netbook (which isn't fast by any stretch of the imagination), black screen for ages.

If you get a black screen like this try using the old Ctrl+Alt+Del key combo and that will show you what is running in the background and give options. Once I saw that it was working and not dead, I left it to complete. I have never had this issue on my winXP system.

Ideally this shouldn't be piggybacked onto this old topic but another more recent one or its own new topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

iroc9555

« Reply #231 on: May 01, 2014, 12:12:42 AM »
Hi DavidR.

Yes, this slow boot or black screen is affecting my Windows XP. With every new EMupdate it gets longer for the sys to completely be up and running. I have not seen this behavior in Win8 or Vista that I have at home though.

... using the old Ctrl+Alt+Del key combo and that will show you what is running in the background and give options. Once I saw that it was working and not dead, I left it to complete.

I shut it hard the first 2 times, time ago no with these recently EMupdates, but after watching the Task Manager at work, I let the sys to finnish what it is doing. Once it took about 10 mins to completely boot the sys ::)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #232 on: May 01, 2014, 02:33:57 AM »
Hi DavidR.

Yes, this slow boot or black screen is affecting my Windows XP. With every new EMupdate it gets longer for the sys to completely be up and running. I have not seen this behavior in Win8 or Vista that I have at home though.

... using the old Ctrl+Alt+Del key combo and that will show you what is running in the background and give options. Once I saw that it was working and not dead, I left it to complete.

I shut it hard the first 2 times, time ago no with these recently EMupdates, but after watching the Task Manager at work, I let the sys to finnish what it is doing. Once it took about 10 mins to completely boot the sys ::)

Yes the old three finger salute Ctrl+Alt+Del combo to access the Task Manager at least lets you know what is going on and that the system hasn't stalled/locked up. But if I remember rightly my MBAM Premium service (seen in task manager) might well have been running and using a lot of CPU time, I closed that just to help a little.

I have never had the black screen on my XP systems (only on my weak assed win7 netbook), plenty of grunt (RAM and CPU) on my XP system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

thedarkness

« Reply #233 on: May 03, 2014, 02:02:33 AM »
On 7 at first I thought it might be due to a ram issue or low hdd space, however unlikely.  I am quite impatient when it comes to black screens and a mouse pointer, but 30+ seconds later would show no change. To solve the issue I would always start the the taskmgr and file>new task>'explorer' to gain access to windows. I would note after the desktop finally showed up, that it usually did not indicate that my main software for startup (antivirus/firewall etc) was running. A restart would usually solve the black screen. I think next time I receive a black screen I will leave it well alone to see if it progresses. The system is a 2006 laptop, 1.5 dual core, 2gig ram, but fast with 7-old but not old enough not to handle a simple antivirus update :)