Author Topic: ib.adnxs.com ?  (Read 37049 times)

Offline a_vast

Re: ib.adnxs.com ?
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2014, 05:47:11 PM »
Had another bout  :o here are the logs, thanks (attached) -

Any further advice please?

REDACTED

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2014, 07:49:26 PM »
If I were you I'd ask myself:  Why am I repeatedly getting infections?

Do you feel you're saving money by repeatedly battling infections instead of putting tools in place that will prevent them and potentially changing your computer usage habits?

-Noel

Offline a_vast

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2014, 08:17:49 PM »
If I were you I'd ask myself:  Why am I repeatedly getting infections?

Do you feel you're saving money by repeatedly battling infections instead of putting tools in place that will prevent them and potentially changing your computer usage habits?

-Noel

Don't know. Adnxs appeared after I opened a reply from another forum - Dell Community - no idea what's causing this. Can you be a little more precise in terms of tools to prevent adnxs and computer usage habits please? Many thanks.

REDACTED

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2014, 02:36:38 AM »
It's hard to recommend specifics to others, because there is much context involved, but in broad strokes, here's what I do...  Whether you want to try to do similar things is up to you.

1.  Use the MVPS hosts file to block the name resolution of tens of thousands of parasite web sites.  This also has the welcome side effect of blocking most ads.  Not even allowing most badware to get near your computer is a good first line of defense.

2.  Reconfigure Internet Explorer to not run ActiveX, and while allowing scripts lock down the facilities the scripts can use.  Ads running their ActiveX are a big source of malware.

3.  Go through your Internet Explorer Add-Ons and disable those you don't know you need.

4.  Practice good habits, including not downloading handy toolbars, cleaners, etc. that are more likely to cause problem than to help with anything.

5.  Make sure Avast is on task and in good working order.  It's my understanding that with the Avast Shields in place (and no exclusions) people just don't get very many infections.  But note:  This is a safety net, nothing more.  Steps 1-4 above are the real things that will keep you safe.

This is just my recommendation.  I'm sure there are others here who would recommend other approaches as well.

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2014, 02:38:30 AM »
By the way, go through the Avast settings with a fine tooth comb.  There are a lot of things (like the thoroughness of scans) that can be strengthened.  Avast tries to strike a balance between efficiency and protection.

-Noel

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2014, 02:50:13 AM »
1.  Use the MVPS hosts file to block the name resolution of tens of thousands of parasite web sites.  This also has the welcome side effect of blocking most ads.  Not even allowing most badware to get near your computer is a good first line of defense.
or setting up your router with OpenDNS would be easier

2.  Reconfigure Internet Explorer to not run ActiveX, and while allowing scripts lock down the facilities the scripts can use.  Ads running their ActiveX are a big source of malware.
how to do it    http://blogs.norman.com/2014/for-consumption/securing-your-browser-internet-explorer
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 02:52:22 AM by Pondus »

REDACTED

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2014, 02:51:35 AM »
Sorry, but saving a single file in a single location on your computer is hard to beat for ease of application.

-Noel

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2014, 02:54:28 AM »
Sorry, but saving a single file in a single location on your computer is hard to beat for ease of application.

-Noel
does it not have to be updated? .... something you dont have to think about with OpenDNS

anyway, some like this and some like that

REDACTED

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2014, 03:09:10 AM »
OK, I stand educated - thank you, Pondus.  Adding a couple of DNS addresses to the router configuration turned out to be quite easy.  Still, I think it's easier to download and save a file, but only a little.  :)

I see no reason not to use them both.  :)

-Noel

Offline a_vast

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2014, 04:11:58 PM »
It's hard to recommend specifics to others, because there is much context involved, but in broad strokes, here's what I do...  Whether you want to try to do similar things is up to you.

3.  Go through your Internet Explorer Add-Ons and disable those you don't know you need.

4.  Practice good habits, including not downloading handy toolbars, cleaners, etc. that are more likely to cause problem than to help with anything.

5.  Make sure Avast is on task and in good working order.  It's my understanding that with the Avast Shields in place (and no exclusions) people just don't get very many infections.  But note:  This is a safety net, nothing more.  Steps 1-4 above are the real things that will keep you safe.

This is just my recommendation.  I'm sure there are others here who would recommend other approaches as well.

Many thanks, Noel,

I shouldn't think Avast would pick up adnxs because it does not appear to be a virus. I am surprised Malwarebytes hasn't listed adnxs as at the very least a PUP but they obviously have not - Malwarebytes never picks up on adnxs when it invades my AOL browser.

Adnxs is authored by a data collection company called AppNexus. It is a stealth 'web beacon' and the unsuspecting web surfer picks it up visiting the Internet.

Adnxs may be a cookie - I have deleted all the cookies in AOL but analogous to a virus adnxs has always bounced back with altered pre- and/or suffix, I mean it changes its shape everytime I block it. In the past an OTL scan has seen it off but not this time. My guess is that adnxs also hides under other names.

Maybe someone should take AppNexus to court over this issue, if nothing more it is an unwarranted invasion of privacy. I am pretty certain a court action would stop the proliferation of adnxs in its tracks - it is not a robot - it is being deliberately sent out by AppNexus.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2012/apr/23/adnxs-tracking-trackers-cookies-web-monitoring

REDACTED

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2014, 04:31:32 PM »
FYI, data from the July version of the MVPS hosts file (entries within which are blocked from being contacted)...

-Noel

Offline a_vast

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2014, 08:01:29 PM »
FYI, data from the July version of the MVPS hosts file (entries within which are blocked from being contacted)...

-Noel

Thanks,

Can I use this information to stop adnxs? I cleared my AOL browser of cookies yesterday which gave me an evening's peace, then adnxs appeared again this afternoon, I have no idea how or why - have cleared the AOL browser of cookies a second time.

Offline a_vast

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2014, 12:30:11 AM »

-Noel

How do you use this program please - do you type the names of unwanted site urls into it for example?

Thanks

REDACTED

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2014, 03:13:19 AM »
It's not a program, it's a file that's used by Windows to resolve host names.  If something or someone tries to access a known malware website, the file resolves it to 0.0.0.0, which causes no requests to go out on the web.  It's an EXTREMELY effective way to block "parasite" web sites.

As far as how to set it up...  Follow the link I included above (click the MVPS hosts file text itself) - it describes in great detail how to do it.

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2014, 09:23:51 AM »
@ a_vast,

I'm a firm believer in layering your security software so that they are compatible but allow you the freedom to surf easily. 

1. What security software and what browser do you use?  IE is the least secure browser out there.  You can have more than one browser on your machine, and others are more secure with better security add-on's.  Look at some of the Evang. Signatures as an example like mine.
    a) What is your firewall?  Do you use a router?  Make sure it is a secured router.
    b) What do you use for resident and on-demand protection besides Avast (are you current with your version and how often do you scan and what type of scan?)
    c) Are your other software on your machine current?  If not, you need to update them.  Not having up to date software is a big way to get malware.  Download the new version but don't install yet.  Make sure you uninstall the older version, then reboot, then install the newer version of the software if you are updating (non-Avast software).  Some products have their own uninstaller tools, so look into this, example is Flash.  Also, don't allow for auto updating; select you select when to update so that you can delete the old version.
2. What security add-on's do you have in your browser?  [Refer to #1 above]
3. Many of us here use Malwarebytes Premium (MBAM), which works differently than an AV and is compatible with Avast.  It is worth the price!  I highly suggest it.
4. Get rid of AoL, which has been hAcked so many times.
5. To clean your cookies and temp. Internet files, get CCleaner, like most of us.  It's very effective and free.  Download the Slim version to avoid getting any toolbars from the Piriform site (the people who make it).  Most of the Evang. use this and it is reputable.
6. Change your passwords often and make them encrypted, esp. if you use AoL, but do it for everything, and never use the same password or user name for more than one site.

These are just a few suggestions.  I hope this helps.  :)