Author Topic: ib.adnxs.com ?  (Read 37050 times)

Offline a_vast

Re: ib.adnxs.com ?
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2014, 02:57:08 PM »
Wow,

Thanks Noel & Safe,

I use this (Avast) antivirus plus Malwarebytes. I have used CC Cleaner in the past & several other cleaners. To be honest I get program overload - so many softwares - but I guess I'm going to have to cope with this. AOL is useless (security) - I turned everything off yesterday including AOL animated ads, & today they are back - the software just ignores you & carries on. The wretched adnxs turns up on AOL.

IE - I'm always told to set my default browser to IE to avoid browser hi-jack, which I've had in the past. I also use FireFox and Chrome. I started using these because using Google through AOL had AOL slowing or stopping searches. I only stay with AOL because all my saved mail is with them - they have designed that to make saving mail in anything except AOL format impossible :(

It seems to me like I have to relearn Internet security.

Will update.

Offline a_vast

« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2014, 03:09:01 PM »
Running Avast Pro. Where is the Firewall please? - it is not listed as on/off or whatever - I don't see it under 'Tools'. I changed from McAfee several years ago, their firewall was independently listed and you could access it to see who was pinging your computer.

REDACTED

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2014, 04:45:58 PM »
While it's never a bad idea to take a more active, informed role in protecting yourself from malware, my suggestion does not need a whole lot of ongoing maintenance.

And yes, most folks in the know use a multiple level defense strategy, though I personally think running multiple pieces of overlapping software is not as good an approach as more passive means.  But modern computers are VERY powerful, and the case could be made that the power is there to help protect you.

One other point:  Besides Avast being installed I personally would not use and have never used an automatic "cleaner" tool.  I don't trust some other programmer to know which bits of my data are safe to delete - they CAN'T know.  However, I have deep operating system knowledge and I *do* use other tools such as Autoruns to help me manually maintain my system, because there *is* a need for maintenance.  I understand that not everyone has the same knowledge about how to keep a system running smoothly.

-Noel

Offline a_vast

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2014, 10:56:28 PM »
Thanks, am now running Malwarebytes Pro, up from the free version. Did a CCleaner about an hour ago, OTL a day ago. May run Adware cleaner later on. Just cannot understand how adnxs has eluded the virus/malware/pup categories not to be instantly picked up and zapped by one & all - is it that AppNexus are exploiting a legal loophole in what does and does not constitute malware?

Am still looking at that host file program you suggested.

May go back to my old ISP from AOL - left previous provider decades ago, a mistake I now realise.

REDACTED

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2014, 11:17:28 PM »
AoL files are very difficult to get rid of.  If you go into Safe Mode and do a search for AOL, you will most likely find a lot of files if you wish to remove AoL from your system.  However before you do that, make sure you have set up your email and everything else you need somewhere else.  For example, you can have a webmail with some other company that you get through any browser.  AoL tends to also put toolbars on most browsers and search engines (this usually can be found on your OTL and other malware removal logs when analyzed).

I don't think you need 2 cleaners on your machine; one is enough. I would stay with Ccleaner, but this is your preference.

I think you will be happy with MBAM Premium.  No maint. needed there.

Think about changing your default browser from IE to either FF or Chrome; at least they are safer.  You can still access AoL through webmail on these browsers just don't add any toolbars or any Aol add-on's.

What are you using for a firewall?  And is your router secured (encrypted)?

Offline a_vast

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2014, 03:20:22 AM »
Thanks,

I presumed Avast Pro came with firewall?

Recently moved - don't yet know what the status of the router is - it is a NetGear model.

It's losing all my saved mails on aol which bothers me, there's no way I know to transfer them to something like Word or Notepad, that is a nuisance.

Offline a_vast

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2014, 03:33:49 AM »
Dowloaded MVPS HOST - do you run it or what please? It has not appeared on my desktop as a program, it seemed to open okay with the blue window + white script, but that was it. I also caught sight of the impressive list of malware it is aware of on the Net.

Offline a_vast

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2014, 03:43:20 AM »
Negative - Firewall is not activated & IE prevents me from opening Avast Store to upgrade. Great :-| No wonder I can't find Firewall listed in my Avast  :(

REDACTED

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2014, 04:15:47 AM »
There are detailed instructions on the MVPS web site.  Read them please.

You have to save the file to a specific folder:  C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2014, 08:21:02 AM »
Which one of these Avast products did you purchase? http://www.avast.com/en-us/lp-ppc-win-02c?cha=ppc&sen=google&ste=avast%20pro&var=56140783512&omcid=EN-US_Search_Brand&gclid=CNfuu4b0878CFc1_MgodVSoA6w - you can also find it in the GUI...but once you find it, the link will tell you if you have a firewall.  However, your router needs to be encrptyed (have a secure encryption key so no one else but you knows it so it can't be hAcked) unless you are directly connected by a cable -- which is it?  Do you use WiFi?  Then you must be using a router.  And Netgear is a router.

If you are more concerned with getting your mail and setting up your browser, hold off on the MVPS  stuff for now.  You can still get your mail in ANY browser https://my.screenname.aol.com/_cqr/login/login.psp?seamless=novl&locale=us&offerId=newmail-en-us-v2&siteState=ver%3A4%7Crt%3ASTANDARD%7Cat%3ASNS%7Cld%3Amail.aol.com%7Cuv%3AAOL%7Clc%3Aen-us%7Cmt%3AANGELIA%7Csnt%3AScreenName%7Csid%3A40b8fea3-49bf-40a4-8551-1d2491b0f72d&authLev=0&sitedomain=sns.webmail.aol.com&lang=en -- this is the link for AoL webmail (add it as a favorite place).  You can then open up a different email (example gmail - click "Create Acct. in upper right corner: https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=mail&passive=true&rm=false&continue=https://mail.google.com/mail/&ss=1&scc=1&ltmpl=default&ltmplcache=2&emr=1) and there is a setting to have all your other email from any account transferred over to gmail if you want automatic mail transferred so you only have to check one site.  But avoid using IE.  Try FF for now and set up your mail and browser.  Then add you add-on's like mine and some other Evang. for security.

Until you find your firewall (assuming you have one), turn on your machine's internal firewall so you have some kind of protection.

Start there, let us know how you do, and we'll help you more.  If you have problems, come back right away...we're always here.  :)

Offline a_vast

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2014, 08:27:32 PM »

...You have to save the file to a specific folder:  C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

-Noel

Done! :)

Offline a_vast

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2014, 08:31:36 PM »

Until you find your firewall (assuming you have one), turn on your machine's internal firewall so you have some kind of protection.

Thanks. Avast says I need "Select Internet Security" a package which includes Firewall at about $60. That's a bit naughty isn't it, considering I just upgraded from Free to Pro? I feel like I'm paying for antivirus twice :-o

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2014, 02:11:54 AM »
Going back to the start of the thread - this redirects to  htxp://www.appnexus.com/.
http://www.warriorforum.com/main-internet-marketing-discussion-forum/966745-ads-space-stolen-sites-like-http-www-appnexus-com.html
The legit side of the coin: https://www.ghostery.com/ru/apps/appnexus
Some proponents call it "adsense", those that are against it "ads space snatching".
If you do not like ads space snatching  - block it,

polonus
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 02:59:52 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline a_vast

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2014, 03:20:06 AM »

If you do not like ads space snatching  - block it

Dear Polonus,

Thank you. I'm afraid that appears to be a little easier to say than to do in the present instance, at least. But I shall, with kind help, persevere.

REDACTED

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2014, 09:20:27 AM »
Ghostery was one of the add-on's I was referring to when I suggested you look at my and other Evang. Signatures for helpful security and privacy add-on's.  There are others as well that you may want to look into.