Author Topic: Will my comp be safe after this windows xp expire thing takes place?  (Read 5000 times)

Avast332

Well I'm sure most of y'all heard that the windows xp thing is expiring. My question is will I be safe? I have avast paid version and I also have malwarebytes paid version. Will that keep me safe?????????????? If not let me know what I should do because they suggest we get a new comp since hackers will be able to find a way around getting in windows and what not now since we won't be getting these updates.

Will we be ok? Or what. Let me know and leave some input please thank you

commus

Re: Will my comp be safe after this windows xp expire thing takes place?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 06:20:19 AM »
If you are concerned go to another browser.
Avast is supposed to protect browsers.
My preference is Firefox.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 06:26:30 AM »
Yes, definitely don't use IE
There have been a number of topics started here in the forum ( you can use the 'search' function) as well as on most other forums.
Plenty of information available to read and you can draw your own conclusions. :)
Also you can read here as well: http://www.msfn.org/board/

Avast332

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 06:30:50 AM »
If you are concerned go to another browser.
Avast is supposed to protect browsers.
My preference is Firefox.

I have Google chrome and Firefox as my browsers that I use. Also have IE but I don't use that trash anymore and I heard it won't be safe anyway. But like I was asking will I be safe with my Malewarebytes and Avast programs?

Btw thanks for the responce
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 06:32:30 AM by Avast332 »

Avast332

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 06:32:12 AM »
Yes, definitely don't use IE
There have been a number of topics started here in the forum ( you can use the 'search' function) as well as on most other forums.
Plenty of information available to read and you can draw your own conclusions. :)
Also you can read here as well: http://www.msfn.org/board/

Ya I don't use IE for the fact it's slow and trash plus I heard it's gonna be unsafe.
My browsers are google chrome and firefox.
And thanks for letting me know I'll be sure to search them up.
Anyways I hope I'll be safe with my avast and malwarebytes

Diddy

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 08:13:10 AM »
HI would just like to say that I use Google Chrome and like it a lot.  Plus it updates itself automatically so it is always kept up to date. I also like it because Google Chrome is very fast to surf the internet.

Thanks

Kesetyan

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 09:26:47 AM »
Hi Avast332,

While undoubtedly security on XP systems connected to the internet will be at an increasingly lower level, there are things you can do to decrease the risk.  Remember that most, although not all, security problems on computers relate to user errors so vigilence is the key.

Keep your general software up to date by installing update patches when they are released - this includes btowser plugins too but as you use Chrome, this is automated, I believe.

Keep your security software up to date (virus definitions etc.) - don't rely on Microsoft Security Essentials but discard it in favour of a more robust anti-virus program like Avast - run a firewall (having Malwarebytes (or similar) in addition, as you have, is a good idea.

Do not use IE for browsing (you use Chrome which is good as is Firefox).

Be careful which sites you visit and what links you click.

Ideally, use a live Linux cd/dvd to boot your system when you need to carry out security sensitive internet activity such as online purchasing and banking - even better would be to use the live cd/dvd for all internet activity and to disable the network in XP.

These steps will help - they are not 100% guaranteed but then neither is using Windows 8.1.

Avast332

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 03:20:15 PM »
Thank you for the responses guys

btw one more question if ya folks don't mind answering.

Um today April 9 I turned my comp on and it said I had automatic updates waiting to be installed. Why was this? I thought the xp thing ended yesterday on the 8? So yeah anyways I figure'd I'd click update and what not since it was there and it did it's update thing and what not. So yeah why was this?

I wasn't really glancing at it updating I just saw it adding something like malware tool removal for IE or whatever I went out for a few min and it told me to restart my comp since updates done and I did and here I am typing now. I am just curious to why it would still give me an update to install since the XP thing ended yesterday. I hope it's not some kind of a scam or something which is why I am a bit nervous and figure'd I'd post here seeking advice on that,

Anyways if someone could let me know on this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 03:32:37 PM »
you may not recive the updates at the exact day it is released.... and also consider your update time settings

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 04:29:19 PM »
I can vouch for what Pondus is saying, Avast332.  I too barely got the last Windows XP Update this morning instead of yesterday April 8th.  And in the past, a lot of the time, the Windows Updates wouldn't actually load onto my computer until Wednesdays instead of on the so-called Update Tuesdays.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 04:40:07 PM »
Since Patch Tuesday is released on the second Tuesday of the month, which happened to be the 8th April 2014, those were the last released patch/s.

I didn't get mine until today (9th), which for me is normal I normally didn't get an update notification until the day after. So it is just the fluke of the country where you live if you receive it on the day of release or a day or two later. It may also have something to do with balancing server load or servers could crash.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hake

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 10:23:23 AM »
Set all Internet Properties (Security) to HIGH, preferably for all 4 zones.  This does matter.  I discovered that doing so prevents Trend Micro's RUBotted from working so it would also obstruct malware which tries to exploit the Internet Explorer runtime support software (which is integral to the operating system).