Author Topic: Avast protection 50%  (Read 10510 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast protection 50%
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 04:58:46 PM »
At the end of the day it is your choice, I have been using Avast since 4.something (before webshield) and I have had zero infections.  So for myself I am quite happy and tend to ignore these surveys

Yes, over ten years of using avast (also avast 4.3 or 4.5 I think) and we have poked our noses into a few places investigation peoples issues and not a single infection.

I too tend to follow my personal day to day experiences, than read every review, etc.

The fact that some reviews can't or don't replicate real life use also creates a misconception.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bikemanAMD

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 05:10:21 PM »
I also don't pay attention to those results, been using Avast since 2005 almost straight thru, I will admit did try MSE on other PC's for a while, but came back to Avast as it offers the best protection, plus performance of any other product I ever used on the Computers around the household.    In fact soon as I can get me an Android Cell phone, installing Avast mobile security as my first app install, but might be another year before I can do that.  As still in contract with at&t and Windows Phone right now

Matthew_Wai

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 12:57:06 PM »
they are fighting with each other trying to scan the file/web connection.
I reiterate that they never run simultaneously

that is 10 years now... I have had zero infections.
Then how many detected viruses have you had?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 03:12:23 PM »
For myself I have had zero infections, but quite a few websites blocked 

Matthew_Wai

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 03:15:28 PM »
Zero infections = zero detection, correct?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 03:44:03 PM »
They were all blocked by webshield

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 03:56:37 PM »
they are fighting with each other trying to scan the file/web connection.
I reiterate that they never run simultaneously

But, they are still installed at the same time.  Even though not running, the inactive antivirus quite probably has it's drivers installed and running which can cause the problem.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Matthew_Wai

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 04:10:26 PM »
the inactive antivirus quite probably has it's drivers installed and running which can cause the problem.
The inactive one is 360 Internet Security which has been totally disabled with no drivers running in the background, as shown on the Windows Task Manager. It has been on my computer for 4 four days, causing no problems so far, although I found a defect in its function.

AdrianH

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 04:23:36 PM »
the inactive antivirus quite probably has it's drivers installed and running which can cause the problem.
. It has been on my computer for 4 four days, causing no problems so far, although I found a defect in its function.

::) exactly the point, your set up is a disaster waiting to happen. Ask at any AV vendors site, you should NOT have two antivirus systems installed at the same time. They will conflict with each other.

Choose one vendor and use something like Malwarebytes as a second opinion system.

I have seen this problem too many times to count .... on the other hand carry on as it means business for the person that has to sort out the mess when it all goes wrong and you can't boot your machine ;) ;)

RonSH

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 04:33:54 PM »
Well ... we are recommended to only use one AV at any time. So, if the chosen AV misses the infection, how do we find out ... assuming that a product like Malwarebytes (manual testing) does not highlight an infection.
To add ... I switched from another AV to Avast and am pleased with my choice.

AdrianH

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 04:41:53 PM »
Well ... we are recommended to only use one AV at any time. So, if the chosen AV misses the infection, how do we find out ... assuming that a product like Malwarebytes (manual testing) does not highlight an infection.
To add ... I switched from another AV to Avast and am pleased with my choice.

Well, firstly if it was missed, then it will likely be picked up later by the updated database.

Second, you can always run online scans at one of the AV vendors.

Many of the better companies have online systems to scan your machine, especially useful if your installed system is compromised at any time.

Herd Protect is a useful tool, that can be installed as it runs in the cloud, it checks your systems against 60+ antivirus/malware systems. Occasional checks with that should pick up most things.

And there is also the virus forum here, if you suspect something is wrong the experts can check your system for you.

Matthew_Wai

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 06:50:36 AM »
::) exactly the point, your set up is a disaster waiting to happen...They will conflict with each other... it all goes wrong and you can't boot your machine ;) ;)
It is beside the point, because the defect is the File Real-time Protection's belated startup which would cause no conflict, not to mention disaster. Today is the fifth day, I can still boot my computer. Even if I can't, I can still use System Restore.

I switched from another AV to Avast and am pleased with my choice.
So did I.

RevolutionSphere

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 12:02:07 PM »
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 07:47:31 PM by RevolutionSphere »

Matthew_Wai

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 12:40:40 PM »
AvastUI and AvastSvc are now using 18,124KB in total, which accounts for fewer than 1% of the 2GB RAM on my cheap computer bought in 2011.

RevolutionSphere

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 01:17:09 PM »
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 07:47:35 PM by RevolutionSphere »