Author Topic: Grime fighter running now for 2 days  (Read 15113 times)

pa0rkt

Grime fighter running now for 2 days
« on: April 09, 2014, 12:17:39 PM »
Can anyone tell me how long Grime fighter needs to clean my computer for had I know this beforehand I had never bought the program
for 2 days is a bit over the odds ?

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
Re: Grime fighter running now for 2 days
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 05:05:23 PM »
Hi,

Two days is definitely longer than it should be running.  It usually takes about 1 hour to run.  Could you please go to Program Data, Avast Software, Avast, and find the Avast5 file, then send this to our Support team?  Please let me know when you have sent it and I will follow up on it.

Very sorry for this inconvenience.

condrea28

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 02:52:52 AM »
Hello I purchased grimefighter on April 8th and started the program the same day. It's now April 10th with a 1459karma and counting, the program is still running. Is this normal? I haven't been able to use my computer since april8th.

Mohandas_SP

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 07:20:19 PM »
Hello,

i also bought GrimeFighter and started it. And it is working for hours now, actually four hours. It is a very long time and I cannot see what the programm actually is doing. Also their is no progression bar or anything else.

I am very disappointed. I cannot use my PC since the programme is working. That is no professional behaviour for a programme like this. I can definetily not recommand this programm. GrimeFighter is not very well working or developped.

I started a ticket two hours ago, but got no reply what to. I think I will remove this programme, because I didn`t get the benefit I expected. No chance to use my computer for hours or even days as I read here, is not that kind of software I like on my computer.

I am very disappointed.

Can I stop the programme without damaging anything on my computer? Or do I have to wait days before I can use my computer?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 07:47:34 PM by Mohandas_SP »

condrea28

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 12:01:50 AM »
goodnews, the grime fighter finally finished up and its been three days but my computer runs smoother and faster. The program seems to have worked. ;D

dkorotkov

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 07:05:42 PM »
Dear friends,
I actually run into the same situation - I have started computer optimisation with GrimeFighter, it works over 24 hours now without any signs of life (except backlit notebook screen and an underscore in the first position on the screen if you touch the keyboard), no messages whatsoever. It also has installed the boot menu were GrimeFighter start by default instead of Windows. What is my recommended mode of operations? The computer runs Windows XP Media Center edition. Could possibly someone from support comment on this? Any help is highly appreciated.

Bets regards

Offline marber

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 02:52:09 AM »
I also bought GF. 1st time I ran it for 17 hours, then gave up. 2nd time, 20 hours, then gave up. Then I saw the post by condrea28 saying after 3 days things are great. So this 3rd time I've been running for 18 hours and the progress bar lost the yellow and is all white, although the Karma numbers keeps going up.

I hope condrea28 is a real customer and not a GF employee.

marber

moai

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 10:03:14 PM »
Hey guys, I am having same trouble with GF. The first time was all done at 2 hours or so, but this time, it's been 3 attempts  at 18 hrs and I am convinced there is something wrong with this... it's hard to believe all would be well after 3 days... please help!!!

moai

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 10:08:39 PM »
I forgot to add that I did try repairing and trying first, then complete uninstall and reinstall too. It's still the same :(

Offline marber

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 02:22:52 AM »

Update -- after 41 hours the screen changed--no Karma in the upper left hand corner, the progress bar is now near the bottom, almost all yellow. Below that it says ''Your computer is now asleep, calling in our technical team.''

The computer has been asleep for 28 hours now. Total 69 to 70 hours of Grime Fighter fighting the grime.

I'm posting this from my spare computer/notebook. During the 1st 41 hours I could go Online, but couldn't access ''My Documents.'' With the computer asleep, I had to pull out my spare to go Online.

marber

etm567

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 05:53:31 PM »
I would like to know if, when it has run for many hours and you have 200 karma whatever, and you stop it, does this mean you would have to start it over at the beginning, or has it accomplished anything in the hours it has been running? This is my second attempt, but I cannot let it run for days at a time.

What should I do?

To add to this, another question. Should I leave this question here or put it in a new thread? Will it get seen and answered here?

And another question: is grime guy doing several different things, such as clean-up, defrag and registry, all at the same time, and is that why it takes so long? If so, couldn't the user be allowed to ask it to do one of those at a time? And then have the use of their computer more quickly?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:44:36 PM by etm567 »

al2

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 09:56:21 PM »
Hi etm567

The 2 posts of condrea28 look the most encouraging, you could get a faster computer but the program takes even days to run to completion. Some people cant use their PC during this time.

Hi,

Two days is definitely longer than it should be running.  It usually takes about 1 hour to run.  Could you please go to Program Data, Avast Software, Avast, and find the Avast5 file, then send this to our Support team?  Please let me know when you have sent it and I will follow up on it.

Very sorry for this inconvenience.

Until you get a reply from the Avast staff (i guess the above post would apply to you too) or contact them yourself (you should have a support email or button to hit in the software +ability to send files to them you can in Avast main prog at least)you can only let the program run as long as possible and see if it works, however i dont think its exceptible that a program runs that long especially from what i can work what it actually does + have just read what the Avast staff post says (above - he says it usually takes 1hr). There's a mention of a progress bar going from yellow to white?

I gather the program finished its analysis  + is now fixing probs it found? it must analyse quickly or i'm wrong as no-one above mentions it.I expect you have to let the program run to completion as we dont know what it is fixing, the bit it fixes last could make the biggest different for example.

There are that many similar posts about this software it would be better/more certain for you to get a support ticket/do what the Avast staff member asks in his posts for help ASAP.

U R COMPLETELY correct about how the prog functions ( re defrag i would expect U already defrag your "spinners" automatic or as required, since such drive's efficiency will always require defraging from mere writing to the drive more often than the frequency of use this prog implies) but its only taking a long time because Avast have just released this prog + they haven't released ANYTHING that works in this way/ on these parts of the OS EVER before. ie They have less experience so you could expect more 'bugs in the prog' than they usually expect + thats what causing the slowness NOT its functions. You idea/ suggestion for grimefighter is excellent + most logical.I imagine when you get more PC experience/knowledge you will know which software carry out the various "monsters"/parts/areas of grime fighter and run the individual programs at your own convenience/requirement. I looked at the info , the characters of this prog on the Avast site + have a rough idea at most of the functions - it does a huge amount of stuff and they have taken on a big task plus some of it is more subjective what do you call a risk compared to its practical functional use - its a personal/subjective - some stuff it does i wouldn't bother with but U might - I do them as part of my decade+ of experience + gaining knowledge about Windows. = (house) "cleaning" every so often. Its GR8 prog/SHORTCUT to use if U dont have my experience/knowledge, its just if its going wrong ( and it shouldn't since overall Avast AV has an exceptional history of reliability) might not know enough about what it is doing to correct it (hopefully whatever your knowledge level you know all about backups so you can reverse undo damage as its inevitable + you cant always fix a problem eg for the OS system restore, images(W7 in the first Windows to have built in basic imaging - depends on version probably- Data conventional backing up newly created data only). Generally the whole OS is interlinked + evolves infinitely thus imaging is most suitable in contrast to Data where Data created mostly remains unchanged pr only changed for a finite period.

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 03:28:21 PM »
Hi,

GrimeFighter should never run for more than 6 hours.  The issues mentioned in this thread about GF running for many hours -- this is definitely a bug and we are aware of it.  Unfortunately, we can't promise a fix date at the moment.

The choices are to either give us some time to fix the issue or request a refund.  Of course we would be really happy if you would choose to give us some time to fix it.  It is a great product that we really believe in.

Either way, we are very sorry about the inconvenience this has caused.

DJDon

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 02:02:53 PM »
It's been running for over 10 hours now and stuck at almost 90%+  at 314 karma. Getting worried as it's not making any movement now.    What to do?  I just bought this 3 days ago....

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 05:50:35 PM »
goodnews, the grime fighter finally finished up and its been three days but my computer runs smoother and faster. The program seems to have worked. ;D

IMO, If it took 3 days, the program definitely isn't working proper as the information stated is it should only take an hour(max 6hrs) ( I personally would allow a few hours)
The fact is there are too many stating it has been a day or more for GF to do whatever it is doing.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 05:56:16 PM by schmidthouse »