Author Topic: Downloads stop at 99%  (Read 12172 times)

aznxknight

Downloads stop at 99%
« on: April 09, 2014, 11:17:36 PM »
I don't know why this is happening but every time I try to download something it will stop at 99%. It's even worse when I'm trying to update something as the update will eventually timeout and fail and cause me to redownload the whole thing again.
I restarted my computer and scanned my computer and nothing came up. I had hope it had something to do with my network connection issue but this time it isn't. I tried to do a research and all signs point to troubles with antivirus programs. One of the suggestions i found is to disable shields temporarily. I tried it and it definitely stopped causing the error and all my downloads actually finished.

But once i re-enabled shields it stops at 99% again. So it wasn't just a fluke, it really has something to do with Avast.

Can someone help me with this issue? I seriously don't want to keep disabling and re-enabling every time I want to download. This has never happened before and I've been using Avast for many years now.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Downloads stop at 99%
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 11:25:41 PM »
try avast repair

controlpanel > ad/remove programs > avast > uninstall/change > repair option

any change?

aznxknight

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 12:01:51 AM »
I tried your repair method. After the repair is successful I tried to download anything. I don't know if it's worse but this time instead of hanging at 99% it stops the download completely right before it's almost finished. I'm using Opera browser and all my downloads end with failure as a status.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 12:17:54 AM »
do you have more then one AV installed?
if not, was your previous used AV removed with the vendors removal tool?
http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/other-software/

you may try a clean reinstall.  www.avast.com > support > downloads > uninstall utility

aznxknight

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 12:34:38 AM »
I do not have more than one antivirus installed. The only AV i ever used on this computer is Avast.
I think i might have to reinstall this program, I'll use it as a last resort.
But now I'm having another problem. Avast or avast shields is sort of messing up my computer's video card. With shields on I sometimes see messed up images with multiple distorted colors. I want to make sure my graphics card isn't failing me so I reloaded the image several times over and over again but i keep getting messed up images.
When i turn off shields the images load as normal.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 06:01:40 PM »
You never mentioned which version of avast! you are running?

Did this issue occur recently since there was a program update out a week ago.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

nexp

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 09:07:18 AM »
I have the same problem. Any download stop at 99%: updates, torrents, simple downloads.
When I disable web-screen Avast all downloads are completed successfully.
This problem was "avast! Free Antivirus" on Windows 8 and 8.1.
Now I installed AVG, but I want return Avast.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:11:55 AM by nexp »

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 11:01:12 AM »
Now I installed AVG, but I want return Avast.
Prior to installing AVG, did you uninstall Avast using the Avast uninstaller tool?  You can't run 2 antiviruses on the machine at the same time.

Are you still having the problem while using AVG?

What VERSION of Avast Free were you using before?

nexp

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 12:08:09 PM »
Prior to installing AVG, did you uninstall Avast using the Avast uninstaller tool?  You can't run 2 antiviruses on the machine at the same time.

I disabled the active protection (web, mail and file system screens of Avast). After I installed AVG.

Are you still having the problem while using AVG?

I have not tested the AVG yet. I will test tonight.

What VERSION of Avast Free were you using before?

The latest version downloaded yesterday.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 12:19:06 PM »
If you want to use AVG you will need to remove avast, disabling is not enough.

I would also suggest that you run the avast clear tool to remove avast remnants -  you will need to uninstall AVG and run the AVG removal tool before returning to avast as well before installing avast.

nexp

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 12:30:45 PM »
If you want to use AVG you will need to remove avast, disabling is not enough.

I would also suggest that you run the avast clear tool to remove avast remnants -  you will need to uninstall AVG and run the AVG removal tool before returning to avast as well before installing avast.

Thanks! I will do it.