Author Topic: Firefox and Script Blocker  (Read 23992 times)

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Firefox and Script Blocker
« on: July 08, 2005, 10:34:48 PM »
Just installed Pro version and have maybe stupid  ;D question: why Script Blocker is not working with Firefox??? It's not needed for this browser or something...  ??? Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Firefox and Script Blocker
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 10:51:55 PM »
It only works with IE based browsers I believe.
I don't know if it is the way firefox handles scripts or some other issue or if this will be a future addition.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 10:58:16 PM »
Interesting... I don't think Netscape and Mozilla is IE based...  ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 11:13:10 PM »
No, obviously it isn't (I'm not a Pro user so didn't see this) but Mozilla and Firefox aren't the same either.

I guess that avast script blocker currently doesn't support firefox which is a shame as it is becoming a very popular option to IE.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 12:48:36 AM »
What I can't understand is that Script Blocker is a Professional version feature.
Alwil team earns money with the Pro version, not with the Home one.
They don't develop the Pro features... only the Home version seems to be more and more improved.
The worst competitor of the Pro version is, in my opinion, the extremelly good Home, free, version  :-\
The best things in life are free.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 04:14:27 AM »
They don't develop the Pro features... only the Home version seems to be more and more improved.

Tech, don't forget that Home and Pro are the same platforms so, the Pro is improved too!  ;D And I like to have some aditional features in Pro. Script Blocker is a good feature, but it seems to be forgotten for a while...  :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2005, 04:25:23 AM »
Tech, don't forget that Home and Pro are the same platforms so, the Pro is improved too!
I know and agree. But when we're talking about special features that makes Pro version atractive to be bought, then... Home version is almost perfect  ;D

And I like to have some aditional features in Pro. Script Blocker is a good feature, but it seems to be forgotten for a while...  :-\
Yeah, you're right... it was developed a long time ago and no more updates and improvements  :'( :-\
The best things in life are free.

Fast

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005, 06:16:28 PM »
Hello Ylap, since Firefox can be enhanced with extensions and plugins, you might want to have a look at this:
http://www.noscript.net/whats

Could be a useful add-on, I cannot use it so have no experience with it, but it looks promising.

Fast

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2005, 06:24:55 PM »
Last time we checked, it was not possible to implement what we wanted (ScriptBlocker the way we wanted it) in FireFox. This was confirmed by direct discussion with a FireFox developer.

Things might have changed since then, but frankly, I doubt it. ;)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2005, 10:27:07 PM »
Vlk,

Does this mean that scripts are handled differently in Firefox than the other browsers, e.g. are we (avast Home users) more secure using firefox in relation to scripts?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2005, 10:30:10 PM »
Scripts are internally handled differently, that's for sure (FF doesn't use the Windows Scripting Host) but I don't know why you think this means that its more secure... It's just different... ;)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2005, 10:32:48 PM »
Does this mean that scripts are handled differently in Firefox than the other browsers, e.g. are we (avast Home users) more secure using firefox in relation to scripts?

Not really. The difference is in the application "modularity", meaning whether avast! is able to somehow "insert" itself into the processing chain, read (and possibly modify) the scripts being processed by the browser. We have found a way to do that for the supported browsers, but it seems not to be possible for the other ones.
This doesn't imply anything about the internal security of the browser, however.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2005, 10:34:37 PM »
Thanks Guys, for the enlightenment.

Just living in hope I guess ;D

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2005, 10:45:02 PM »
I hope you'll find a way to "crack" Foxie!  ;D Good luck in work!

Drwngflies

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2005, 08:31:48 PM »
Hello Ylap, since Firefox can be enhanced with extensions and plugins, you might want to have a look at this:
http://www.noscript.net/whats

Could be a useful add-on, I cannot use it so have no experience with it, but it looks promising.

Fast
Just as a note:
I use this, and it works well, allows to enable scripts, temporarily, or permanent for sites visited. I enjoy the Avast for when I have to use IE for some sites.
GL