Author Topic: Program is not automatically updated even if set to!  (Read 11392 times)

Offline Anacunga

Program is not automatically updated even if set to!
« on: April 10, 2014, 05:22:17 PM »
Even if update options are set to "automatic update" for both (virus definitions AND program), I always encounter not updated PCs on many installations. What the hell has additionally to be done that as soon as a program updated, it is really automatically updated (and not only pretended to – but not done) so that I do not have to visit each and every PC to go and manually update the program? (YES, that's a SERIUS QUESTION!) Btw: the question might also be: are there any other things that could prevent avast from automatically update program even if set to?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Program is not automatically updated even if set to!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 06:09:45 PM »
Which avast version?
Which operating system?

Are you sure it's not being updated ( there is a notification issue where the notification of the VPS updates do not appear)

Do you run any other security related applications on the affected PCs?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 06:21:07 PM »
@ Anacunga

Do you happen to have any of those systems with avast set to Gaming/Silent mode ?

If so there is a bug that when in Gaming/Silent mode updates don't happen in the background as would be expected, but they don't happen.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 06:26:26 PM »
Which avast version?
... free ...

Which operating system?
... XP ... Vista ... W7...

Are you sure it's not being updated (there is a notification issue where the notification of the VPS updates do not appear)
Yes: when I come there to look what all is not updated, avast itself is not and I'll have to do it manually (even if set to automatically).

Do you run any other security related applications on the affected PCs?
... no ...

Do you happen to have any of those systems with avast set to Gaming/Silent mode ?
NO, silent mode is not used!

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 07:16:41 PM »
I should have been been more specific? v 9.0.2017?

Have you tried running an avast repair and/or resetting avast! to default?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

GTX66

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 12:16:14 AM »
I am using AIS and all I get is Host not reachable

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 12:34:12 AM »
I should have been been more specific? v 9.0.2017?
It was with almost every revision!

Have you tried running an avast repair and/or resetting avast! to default?
Why should always and with every installation first be run "repair" before it is correctly updating? If that's necessary there is something seriously wrong! And default settings are not usable as "deleting by default" is not allowed here. Action options have to be something like "move to chest" (with "dumb users") or "ask" (for more expierience users) etc. but NOT AND NEVER "DELETE" – but default options are set to DELETE! The reason is very simple: if a user gets a serious problem, I HAVE MANDATORILY go there and look in detail what it was – just consulting the log is not enough; I have to check the malware, and in the chest it can be considered safe to not do any damage.

Btw: these default options force me to first disable avast totally immediately after installation (just for a short moment) – until it is configured and these action settings are set to something acceptable! These settings to something else than delete should be configurable within the installation dialogue!

Other settings that I always have to change is reporing: I need all the events (also errors etc.) – besides the list of the checked good files.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 12:42:13 AM by Anacunga »

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 12:42:21 AM »
You've changed the subject here with your last reply.

It looks like the installation(s) of the systems which do not update have got a corrupt version of avast!

To fix it you need to perform a clean install. If you don't want to, it's your loss. You can also change the options and customize them to your needs.

1. Download Avastclear, Rejzors uninstall tool and the appropriate Avast program edition

Note: It's important you used the stub online installer from the one I linked.. NOT the offline one.

Note: You need to be ONLINE during this install (online installer works in all cases whereas offline sometimes doesn't)

http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup_online.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup_online.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_internet_security_setup_online.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_premier_antivirus_setup_online.exe

Avastclear : http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe
Rejzors Uninstall tool: http://rejzor.wordpress.com/avast-cleanup-tool/

2. Uninstall Avast by control panel  [If you don't have Avast in control Panel go to #4]
3. Uninstall in safe mode using Avastclear.
4. Run Rejzors Uninstall Utility in Normal Mode (removes traces avastclear doesn't) - reboot.
Check : Once uninstalled check in device manager>view>show hidden devices if there is anything related to avast with a yellow triangle.. if so, uninstall it and reboot.
5. Install the version you downloaded.
6. Reboot.

Note : If you have a paid license, install it after the reboot at stage 6.

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 12:43:56 AM »
Sorry, but also on those PCs where I had to make a "clean install" for any other reason, program updating is not working as it should!

Avast as AV-product is absolutely worthless if self-updating is not working! That's the problem! I cannot always do a clean install on every PC every time when a new program-update is here! That's not the sense of "automatic update".
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 12:47:06 AM by Anacunga »

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 12:47:01 AM »
Sorry, but also on those PCs where I had to make a "clean install", program updating is not working as it should!

Did you do every step as I stated above?

Have you changed the update time interval?

Have you changed avast! to load after system services?

Are you getting streaming updates?

I haven't seen anyone experience this issue before but it could be server problems. I doubt that is the case. If you are getting streaming updates you'll be fine since the need of VPS updates is reduced a lot. VPS updates consist of streaming updates and some new algorithms which the streaming updates can not deal with yet.

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 12:51:55 AM »
Note: It's important you used the stub online installer from the one I linked.. NOT the offline one.

Note: You need to be ONLINE during this install (online installer works in all cases whereas offline sometimes doesn't)
Are you kidding????

Fix that first – then we continue the discussion. Offline-Installation is  mandatory here – for many reasons.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 01:30:44 AM »

Are you kidding????

Fix that first – then we continue the discussion. Offline-Installation is  mandatory here – for many reasons.

There is an offline installer HOWEVER on some offline installers there's a slight chance to get a corrupt installation. It's a server sort of SFX issue. The online installer always work and don't have this issue:

Offline installers:

http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_premier_antivirus_setup.exe

I don't understand where the kidding comes from. The connection is secure and most AVs use stub/smart installers. They also save mb on based on an offline install and always have the up to date definitions from before hand.

Offline drake127

• Avast team
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 01:39:58 AM »
Even if update options are set to "automatic update" for both (virus definitions AND program), I always encounter not updated PCs on many installations. What the hell has additionally to be done that as soon as a program updated, it is really automatically updated (and not only pretended to – but not done) so that I do not have to visit each and every PC to go and manually update the program? (YES, that's a SERIUS QUESTION!) Btw: the question might also be: are there any other things that could prevent avast from automatically update program even if set to?
I don't want to be mistaken but there are server-side settings that specifies schedule for clients' updates. By default, most users should update within three weeks after the release.

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 01:46:44 PM »
I don't understand where the kidding comes from. The connection is secure and most AVs use stub/smart installers. They also save mb on based on an offline install and always have the up to date definitions from before hand.
Sorry, but it can only be a bad joke if you offer both online and offline installers, but tell me here that online installers do not work correctly. Sorry, but that sounds like a confession of bankruptcy. Btw.: I have here the situation that on many PCs to install the line is very thin, unstable (breaks often after some MB, at some max. amount to download in one piece is less than 10MB), too expensive (both in time and data amount) that online-install is just not practicable. So offline-install is absolutely mandatory – online-install is out of discussion. So the method is to download offline-installers the same day the PC will be installed, and for virus definition updates the line is enough – and that's done immediately after install.

If it is really the case that for each and every program update the whole clean install procedure has to be done, avast would just be unusable and a bad joke.

Hmm ... I'll then better install v4.8 in those cases – that's not running into program update flaws ... ;)

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 04:43:29 PM »
So, what's up with these auto updates?
It's just not working!

Sorry, but also on those PCs where I had to make a "clean install", program updating is not working as it should!
I haven't seen anyone experience this issue before but it could be server problems. I doubt that is the case. If you are getting streaming updates you'll be fine since the need of VPS updates is reduced a lot. VPS updates consist of streaming updates and some new algorithms which the streaming updates can not deal with yet.
@Alikhan - I experience this on many computers. And yes - streaming updates working just fine. Program updates aren't.
However, I did see computer where it's working okay.

There is an offline installer HOWEVER on some offline installers there's a slight chance to get a corrupt installation. It's a server sort of SFX issue. The online installer always work and don't have this issue:
Is this true also for the latest versions? If so, avast should do something about it!
A lot of times online installers are just not practical.