Author Topic: Subscription double-billing  (Read 3670 times)

Offline Gazza B

Subscription double-billing
« on: April 10, 2014, 07:35:07 PM »
Hi all: I am a new forum poster & AVAST subscriber, based in England. I recently decided to take out a 60-day trial of AVAST Internet Security for which I was told I would be charged US$29.99+$4.50 tax = $34.49 by an AVAST agent called Digital River. I was given reminders that the trial sub period was coming to an end and opted to leave the auto-renew option live. On the date of expiry, I suddenly received a warning message that my computer was unprotected with instructions on how to make a payment of UK£29.99 to get cover for a year. Under a bit of pressure, I agreed and arranged the payment. It was only afterwards that I queried the amount (suspiciously similar to the DR US$29.99 net of tax) and realised that I had been billed by another company based in Luxembourg called Nexway. Soon after that, I was billed by DR on the default auto-renew basis I had not changed for the US$34.49 I had always expected to pay. I have told AVAST support/help desk that I don't mind paying one subscription (the DR) for one product but I sure as hell object to paying two. My query ticket no is #MTU-587-51224. So far, despite numerous urgings on my part, I have had no resolution and, as a UK resident, I can't contact customer services by phone ... hence my post today.

One final twist: I have disabled the auto-renew sub facility against the DR order, but cannot find any way of doing the same on my Nexway subscription. Does this mean I will be automatically rebilled for another year? Not if I can help it! The whole thing smells of sharp practice, which is a shame coz the actual AVS product seems good to me: clear, well-designed & efficient. Are they making extra money from those who venture beyond the Free package? Do they think people will give up trying to get money back which they believe has been wrongly taken? Has anyone else - particularly outside the US - had a similar experience? Thanks for listening.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Subscription double-billing
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 08:04:10 PM »
You should contact Nexway since that is where you also bought the license.
Ask them for a refund.

Offline Gazza B

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 01:35:07 PM »
Thanks. I HAVE contacted Nexway, who said they have 'different promotions for different users', then asked for evidence of the US$34.49 charge from Digital River and whether I had been in England 'the entire time' (what does that mean?). At the same time, I sent my complaint + all the relevant info to AVAST customer support in the USA. Since then, I have been dealing with helpdesk@avast.com with whom I lodged a request for a cancellation &  refund of the Nexway sub. They messaged me on 27 March: 'I am forwarding your request to the appropriate department. One of my colleagues will be in touch with you soon. Thank you for your patience.' I have been back to them twice so far, but there has been no sign of progress - so the patience they thanked me for is getting a little strained. I live, however, in hope, and will certainly consider re-contacting Nexway direct should I continue to get no joy from AVAST customer support - and will, at that point ask them why there is no apparent way of cancelling the annual sub auto-renew facility now loitering on my hard disc. None of this, of course, explains why I was double-billed in the first place.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 10:11:41 AM »
This has happened to me and I have also been ignored by the Avast helpdesk!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 10:15:29 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline moroni

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 02:05:00 PM »
Hi ramoore,

Please open a ticket using the link above. I couldn't find any ticket sent by you so far.
In case you need more help from the forum, please open a new thread.