Author Topic: Windows Security Service problem in XP  (Read 1719 times)

Kesetyan

Windows Security Service problem in XP
« on: April 11, 2014, 09:59:30 PM »
Hi,

This is a copy of my post in other forums but as the issue relates to Avast too, I have repeated it here.

My desktop system is Windows XP Pro SP3 and includes the final Windows Update. My software firewall is Comodo free version 7.0.315459.4132 and my anti-virus is Avast 2014 free version (both are kept up to date).

Since that final Windows update I have noticed that the Event Viewer reports the following error at every startup:
"The Windows Security Center Service was unable to establish event queries with WMI to monitor third party AntiVirus and Firewall."

Both Comodo and Avast are running correctly so the problem would seem to be with the Windows Security Center which previously seemed to have correctly identified the two programs as the error was not reported before the last Windows update. I get no additional error messages generated during computer sessions regarding security, it is just that Event Viewer that reports on startup.

The Windows Security Centre shows Firewall 'NOT MONITORED' and Virus Protection 'NOT MONITORED'

Is this something I can just ignore and would it be OK to untick the 'Alert me ...' Alert Settings for the Firewall and Virus Protection? If I untick the 'Alert me ...' items, would this also stop the Event Viewer reporting?

Thank you.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Windows Security Service problem in XP
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 10:27:30 PM »
press start > type in the box "services.msc" then press ok

In the list of services, double-click on Windows Management Instrumentation. Click on Stop and then OK.

now Locate the folder C: \ WINDOWS \ system32 \ wbem \ Repository and delete it.

Restart services Windows Management Instrumentation and restart your pc