Author Topic: Can't update my definitions - host unreachable  (Read 8059 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can't update my definitions - host unreachable
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 09:09:09 PM »
Well you say the Repair and Downloading the full virus definitions database didn't resolve it. The next step in progression would be a clean reinstall, but you say you want to avoid that. Which leaves the status quo and use the full virus definitions database database.

Having gone over the whole topic (as primarily I was only responding to Asyn's post), are you allowing the program to auto update the virus definitions ?
If so are you getting any errors with that also or just on manual attempts ?

What does your defs folder look like (the sub-folder names are similar to the virus definition version), a little earlier mine was like this (see image) ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline d3f

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 09:47:57 PM »
Yes, the virus definitions are set to be updated automatically. The problem is they haven't updated themselves since yesterday.

The only way I can update them is by downloading them from the link posted earlier and then installing them manually. Clicking on "Update" in the client or waiting for them to update themselves automatically doesn't work.

I wouldn't be opposed to a clean re-install, but it didn't work for people experiencing the same problem.

My folder:

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 09:50:21 PM by d3f »

Offline d3f

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 11:21:08 AM »
Well, at least updating via vpsupd.exe is still working. Didn't work in the morning, but works now.

avasterror

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 08:16:04 AM »
I have the same problem and I am using avast free 2014. It said last update received today but my definition version was from 17 april and it got stuck to that date.
I downloaded vpsupd.exe and now my definitions updated to may 8th. I think I will keep avast for now and update it every now and than with vpsupd till the problem is fixed.
Btw I repaired avast few times, reinstalled with avast deleting tool but it didn't help.

plsrepli

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 12:15:24 AM »
Why not just try a clean install of the latest version to see if that fixes anything? You could download aswclear, run it, reboot, and clean install the latest Avast version. This would only take about 10 minutes of your time. I apologize if you have tried this already.

avasterror

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 10:48:27 AM »
Thanks but I already did it. I used that tool to delete avast and installed the latest version but I am still getting update errors. I hope some new version will fix it.