Author Topic: Ad blocker in Avast 2014 9.0.2016  (Read 5788 times)

Offline a43003

Ad blocker in Avast 2014 9.0.2016
« on: April 12, 2014, 04:55:13 PM »
Hi everybody,
i'm newbie in this forum and i'm looking how i could reach ad blocker in a brand new installation of avast, not overriding a previous one.

Is it still possible?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Ad blocker in Avast 2014 9.0.2016
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 07:35:24 PM »
There is no ad blocker in avast. There are anti-tracking and anti-phishing in avast.
The "avast online security" extension can be found in your browser.
In Firefox the AOS is in the add-ons. In Chrome it's in the tools/extensions.  :)

Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline a43003

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 06:00:42 PM »
Thank you for your reply Para-Noid , maybe you mean right now...
but i mean there was... till version 8 there was and upgrading a version 8 with Avast ad - blocker installed and active, you still have it in actual version 9...
I'm just trying to realize if installing in a brand new & clean way Avast Free version 9... is it still possible to get Avast Ad-blocker on.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 06:23:01 PM »
Like I stated above, there is no ad blocker in avast. Never has been.
There is the "avast online security" extension. During a custom install this is named "browser protection".
You may get "ad block plus" via your browser add-ons.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

AdrianH

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 06:33:52 PM »

erm ......... http://www.avast.com/en-us/faq.php?article=AVKB92#artTitle  there was an adblocker, it was rubbish and got dropped.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 06:36:44 PM »
I don't remember it at all! It must have been rubbish if it didn't last long.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 08:22:03 PM »

erm ......... http://www.avast.com/en-us/faq.php?article=AVKB92#artTitle  there was an adblocker, it was rubbish and got dropped.

Its biggest issue was AdBlock Plus, as the avast AdBlocker was a variant of AdBlock Plus (ABP), but without the same configuration (adding more filters, etc.).

If you had ABP then avast wouldn't install AdBlocker, so some people may never have seen AdBlocker if they already had ABP.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 08:33:10 PM »

Its biggest issue was AdBlock Plus, as the avast AdBlocker was a variant of AdBlock Plus (ABP), but without the same configuration (adding more filters, etc.).

If you had ABP then avast wouldn't install AdBlocker, so some people may never have seen AdBlocker if they already had ABP.

And that is why I don't remember it...I never had it. I've always used AdBlock Plus.

Thanks David!  You have a better rememberer than me.  ;)

Offline a43003

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 02:47:38 AM »
Thank you guys!
I had till few weeks ago at least #3 or more pc with Avast free and its Ad-blocker and I still have more than one right now.
Its litle icon in IE status bar (the one at the bottom corner of the page) is an orange Hand with a white "A" showing "stopping ads".
I could even post pictures if needed, i don't like to be teased as a foolish!

Thank again, but my question should be solved by "it was left away" isn't it?

GreggH

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 12:03:47 PM »

A43003... There was an ad blocker in, I believe, version 8 for a short while, however, it has been removed in version 9 as it was indeed, as previously stated, rubbish. However, that ad blocker had it's own entry in "Programs and Features" so that removing Avast, or updating Avast, did not affect the ad blocker. As a result, if you used the version of Avast that included the ad blocker, and have not specifically removed it, it will still be there. Any system, however, where that version of Avast was not installed, will not have the ad blocker and will not get it from version 9, where it is no longer included.

I have used that ad blocker, and AdBlock Plus, and my advice would be to remove the old Avast ad blocker on those machines where it is installed still, and get AdBlock Plus (free) for them instead. A far superior product and much more reliable at ad removal.

Gregg

ram1220

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 09:55:09 PM »
I still have the adblocker in IE11. I am running Avast version 8. It probably was removed in version 9.

Offline a43003

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 11:27:13 PM »

A43003... There was an ad blocker in, I believe, version 8 for a short while, however, it has been removed in version 9 as it was indeed, as previously stated, rubbish. However, that ad blocker had it's own entry in "Programs and Features" so that removing Avast, or updating Avast, did not affect the ad blocker. As a result, if you used the version of Avast that included the ad blocker, and have not specifically removed it, it will still be there. Any system, however, where that version of Avast was not installed, will not have the ad blocker and will not get it from version 9, where it is no longer included.

I have used that ad blocker, and AdBlock Plus, and my advice would be to remove the old Avast ad blocker on those machines where it is installed still, and get AdBlock Plus (free) for them instead. A far superior product and much more reliable at ad removal.

Gregg

I still have the adblocker in IE11. I am running Avast version 8. It probably was removed in version 9.

Right now everything's definitely clear at least! Usefull conversation, I thank you all, happy to meet this forum