Author Topic: Install Avast! Home on Linux - '.rpm' version  (Read 9996 times)

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
Install Avast! Home on Linux - '.rpm' version
« on: April 13, 2014, 07:54:46 PM »
Edit Thurs Oct 2014 - The avast4workstation-1.3.0-1.i586.rpm is no longer supported, so don't install,

Reagards,

Abraxas.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Any rpm based distro with apt4rpm can use this method.

I never used any .deb distros so I have no idea how the installation will look in such case, however that is covered here in the Topics for Ubuntu.  :)

Commandline Tutorial, installation of:
avast4workstation-1.3.0-1.i586.rpm

http://sparewotw.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/avast-antivirus-home-edition-on-pclinuxos-2011-6/

Although PCLinuxOS is stated as target Distro, this is also a general working installation for the '.rpm' version of Free Avast home edition for Linux; avast4workstation-1.3.0-1.i586.rpm

http://files.avast.com/files/linux/avast4workstation-1.3.0-1.i586.rpm

Best Regards,

Abraxas
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 05:05:56 PM by Abraxas »

dschinn1001

Re: Install Avast! Home on Linux - '.rpm' version
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 01:48:20 PM »

here is running Manjaro - Linux ... and there is avast 1.3.0.5 ... is this a correct version ?! ... or over-dozed ?!

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 06:27:09 PM »
You are asking what exactly dschinn1001 ?

Please note this is a hardworking Forum, full of volunteers, and staff. All manner of issues are covered obviously.

Trolls are not tolerated. Looking at your previous posts you've not contributed anything dschinn1001.

This information is issued in the interest of all who use these Forums legitimately.

Personally I'd be careful running Avast4linuxworkstations with Manjaro, due to it being such an early release.  ;)

Arch Linux is known to run well with http://files.avast.com/files/linux/avast4workstation-1.3.0-1.i586.rpm

Best Regards,

Abraxas
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 06:37:58 PM by Abraxas »

dschinn1001

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 06:37:22 PM »

Sorry, no - I did not mean this as troll - have posted little manual here... today.

you need size of 256000000 and not of 128000000

It is about my word-choice from German to English too - then it sounds like a "Troll" ...

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 06:40:10 PM »
Re-Read my post, I just edited it,

Best Regards,

Abraxas

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 08:30:16 PM »
I've decided to uninstall Avast's 'avast4workstation-1.3.0-1'.

Haven't run it since August 2013,  :D updated the Database.Had error message, "Avast engine failed to initiate".

Did a search, and came across an article.

Avast installation error: "The following packages have unmet dependencies"

http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=123987.0

After reading response by kjpetrie I made decision to not bother with Avast4linuxworkstation, the free home edition.
He makes some valid points !

There is no need at present for AV software in Linux, as there are no viruses for Linux in circulation. AV software relies on viruses being know to its authors in order to detect them, so there will be no useful AV software until after viruses appear. The purpose of most Linux AV software is:

1. To protect Windows users from being sent a virus in something you pass on, and

2. To stop you getting out of the habit of using AV software.

It is not impossible to write a virus for Linux that could do a certain amount in a user's own account, but the variety of installed applications makes the reward for the writer rather less than for the more standardised Win and Mac environments, and the multi-user design of the Linux kernel limits how far a virus could get in the system without a user doing something stupid.

Owing to the misuse of sudo, Debian-based distributions are more vulnerable to that than RPM-based ones.

If you are worried about possible malware threats, there is rkhunter, though I'm not really sure how useful that is, as in all the years I've had it installed, I've never seen it find any updates for its database.

Personally, I'd relax. At present you don't need AV, unless it's to provide a little more protection for Win users you contact.

As I don't use anything but a .rpm based Distro, not a server, and don't use Win, or Mac I've uninstalled completely.  :)

Happy Surfing,
my days at this Forum will be spent reading the odd development from time to time.

Best Regards,

Abraxas