Author Topic: avast doesn't tell me program update  (Read 15564 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: avast doesn't tell me program update
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2005, 11:56:33 AM »
Only thing that bothers me about On-Access provider icons is that they don't use the same style. SOme use old one,some new one and final result is not that good imo.
But thats your decision.

I also noticed there is no note that majority of tweaks (like hide/stop rotating tray icon etc.) require at least log off and again log (or system restart) in in order for changes to take effect.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2005, 04:12:11 PM »
While we're on the subject of "Updates" I'm not getting a popup dialogue box anymore ?
 with auto Update enabled in settings / Update Basic page / " Avast! Settings ".
 Or a summary box after the update.
 This has only just happened after the new program update on my Win98 SE system. I get the updating Icon in the task bar, but no info /summary dialogue boxes.
I note if I do a manual update the info. and summary boxes do appear ???
Have I missed something, or is this a new feature ?
So, on that config page, do you have it set to "Normal" or "Silent"?
Previously, Silent didn't prevent the Summary box from being shown. This has changed (=been fixed) in the latest version.
I have "Normal" checked. Funnily enough everyting worked as usual just then when I connected online. The Blue slide box : "virus data base has been updated", then the summary   box popped up .  ;D
So who knows , maybe I'm low on resources or increased  traffic from your server @ the moment had something to do with it. I kinda like all the bells and whistles going off , plus after a program update I tend to scrutinise minute functionality like these .  I'll select "silent" to see if that is "fixed". People still use Win 98, so I feel it's important to report any issues , all's fine now though ! 
Thanks for the info though Vlk .  ;)

xp_1839

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2005, 04:38:33 PM »
Is it true that if program is not updated from 4.6.665 to 4.6.691, the auto or manual database update will not work?

Offline xistenz

• Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2005, 05:48:28 PM »
Is it true that if program is not updated from 4.6.665 to 4.6.691, the auto or manual database update will not work?

No. You can have an avast version from this time last year and virus database updates will still work. Although its always better to have the latest version as new features and bug fixes are introduced.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2005, 04:27:17 AM »
No, this was a bug into the beta 4.6.689 version.
New one is perfect  8)
The best things in life are free.

veddie

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2005, 03:25:15 PM »
Hey,
I'm riding on avast home(4.6.691, after update from previous), and i am wondering, why i can't see update progress while an automatic update(is it an error or it's ok)like it is when I update manually.

my configuration
virus database-automatic
program-ask when available
and normal option in details

one more question
is blue panel sliding only if the update is downloaded, because I don't see it other way. will the program working in the silent mode show the blue box?
I know these are details but i 'd like to know
PS.sorry my English
i like avast very much, no conflicts etc.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2005, 07:27:53 PM »
Veddie, if you click 'Settings' in my signature you'll see a avast4.ini file thread.
There are settings for everything there.
I thought the automatic update, with the running mode 'Normal' and the progress option checked should show the update like when you manually invoke one.
I thought the sliding blue panel sliding could be fully configurated too. The Silent mode will show the blue box if you check this into the avast! update settings.

Hey, your English is pretty good.
Welcome to avast! forums.

veddie

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2005, 09:41:53 PM »
thanks for quick answer,
 but i mean i don't see a dialogue box while an automatic update, i see only the blue panel when an update downloaded new files.
in ini file u can configure same things that u can in update options window, it gives me nothing cause if I match in options "show update progress" or show "summary box" I will see this only while manual update..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2005, 10:55:49 PM »
If I remember correctly when I've translated avast! into my language, automatic updates run always in Silent Mode, so no blue panel at all...
Maybe I'm wrong as I'm just an user like you, well older than you  ;D

veddie

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2005, 11:31:05 AM »
While we're on the subject of "Updates" I'm not getting a popup dialogue box anymore ?
 with auto Update enabled in settings / Update Basic page / " Avast! Settings ".
 Or a summary box after the update.
 This has only just happened after the new program update on my Win98 SE system. I get the updating Icon in the task bar, but no info /summary dialogue boxes.
I note if I do a manual update the info. and summary boxes do appear ???
Have I missed something, or is this a new feature ?
ok this is exactly what I'm talkin' about, and
automatic updates run always in Silent Mode, so no blue panel at all...
so why there is an option "show the blue panel after the automatic update", it should provide imo sliding box while in automatic update..
and in this  situation what is the option "silent mode" for?, when as you say automatic mode =silent mode..
ok I was just curious, but these are details and i still enjoy working with avast, it doesn't complicate updating the program .so nevermind..
Anyway, thanks for help

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2005, 01:44:14 PM »
So why there is an option "show the blue panel after the automatic update", it should provide imo sliding box while in automatic update...
In fact, new version has this option and, as far I could understand, automatic update runs in Silent Mode unless you check that box for seing the blue panel...  8)