Author Topic: Which product should I buy?  (Read 1388 times)

Offline flatbeard

Which product should I buy?
« on: April 14, 2014, 05:12:56 PM »
Hello all
I'm trying to find a better safety solution for me and my family. We have 6 computers in the house plus a nas server driven from a small pc. Units are connected with either a cable network or n-class wifi (with security enabled), and everything runs Windows in some form. My internet access is via a router with a hardware firewall, and it's pretty solid, judging from the online scans I can do from the outside. All computers have Avast! Free on them, say two with another free pack on them (for unknown reasons the two computers run better that way).

My problem is malware / ransomware / bloatware. Both kids are active online, and despite daddys long and repeated speeches, bad stuff pops up on occasion. I've cleaned two computers up so far, and had narrow misses 4 or 5 times the last year. As it is an increasing threat, I would like to upgrade on this front.

Will any of the Avast packages help me here? Having two kids age 10 and 12 playing Minecraft and Sims and thus downloading all sorts of strange packs all the times gives me a lot of interesting challenges on the various commercial-sponsored download sites, where there can be several "Download Now" buttons on the download site - but only one true.

Setting up a dedicated firewall server will not remedy this, I need protection on the individual machines. Avast Sandbox is nice, but does it help against browser plugins or redirections online? What to do?

All the best
Flatbeard the Family Father

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Which product should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 05:34:42 PM »
Before buying any security software suite, I recommend using the "Trial Version" no matter what AV product.
This will ensure time for you to judge whether the software is and does what "you want" and is problem free. :)