Author Topic: Thinking of buying an iMac...  (Read 1917 times)

Offline avastuser1243

Thinking of buying an iMac...
« on: April 16, 2014, 11:06:58 PM »
I have been using Avast Premier for my Windows PC for a few years now and I am happy with it's performance as I haven't had any viruses and malware since I started using Avast. Now I am thinking of purchasing an iMac and if I install antivirus software for it, it would definately be from Avast. After reading on the Apple website that the iMac has it's own integrated security which they say protects the system from malware and hackers, I noticed that they don't seem to recommend antivirus software like Windows do. I then started to search the internet to try to find out whether installing Avast would be necessary but I have found several conflicting and contradictory articles, some stating that antivirus software is a sensible precaution while at the same time suggesting it is virtually a waste of time. I also searched the Apple community forum where I found several seemingly knowledgeable Mac users saying that installing antivirus software on a Mac is completely unnecessary and possibly even damaging to the system.
I do not intend to use the Mac for anything risky such as carelessly surfing the internet or anything like that, but it would however, be used occasionally for internet shopping or banking. So my question is to the expert members of this forum: is Avast really necessary for careful and security conscious use of a Mac?

Offline Secondmineboy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Thinking of buying an iMac...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 11:16:48 PM »
If youre not running everything that you will get from Mail or other ways you will not get infected.

Update the Mac and its software regularry, turn on Firewall, Gatekeeper and the backup system(Time Machine) and it should be good.

Gatekeeper is basically locking everything that is not from the Mac App Store or from the Mac App Store and verified publishers (depends from the setting).
Time Machine is backing up all data that was changed(Even programm settings, temp internet files and much more) hourly and keeps backups of it
hourly, daily and weekly(Depends on the age from the backup).

In my school they some about a dozend of Macs infected with a patching virus, BUT ONLY CAUSE SOMEONE REALLY WANTED TO GET IT ON THERE BY DISABLING THE ANTIVIRUS
AND THE MACS PROTECTION.
Windows 10 1909, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD, 1366 by 768 LCD Screen, Intel Core i3 5010U Dual Core, Intel HD Graphics 5500
HUAWEI P30 Pro. Android 10

SafeSurf

Re: Thinking of buying an iMac...
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 08:12:00 AM »
I just got an iMac after using Windows for years and have talked to many Apple techs. and users who will agree that Apple is less prone to getting malware but is not totally immune.  However you will find after using your new machine that you are probably going to like it better and want to use it more  ;D, so you may want to surf more than you think.  I personally have antivirus protection on my iMac, iPad, phone...you name it and every electronic device is protected.  These days, you can't be too careful.  IMO, banks and credit card sites do not keep their security as tight as it should be, so I would look after your new toy and take care of it.  ;)