Author Topic: Random Thought On Avast  (Read 2944 times)

acceltech

Random Thought On Avast
« on: April 16, 2014, 03:57:56 AM »
Dear forumers,
                           I understand this will be a rather foolish question but why normally when we post a topic of a virus infection. Most of the time , we would be recommended to follow these steps provided in this link : http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0. I mean are the 3rd party softwares really necessary , is Avast not able to perform the same tasks such as those? I'm a bit sceptical because most of my friends would ask if why we need other registry cleaner or utility software to do the job, what makes Avast special compared to the other Antivirus competitors? Hope you guys can point me out. Thank you.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Random Thought On Avast
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 08:28:22 AM »
That has always been spinning in my mind. And i still don't understand why are some so obsessed by constantly recommending 3rd party apps to do the analysis or cleaning (making certain apps look like they have ungodly 500% detection rate). Every app will at some point miss something as nothing is 100% (not in computer or in real world). At that point, it is by far the best to do analysis by hand using apps like Microsoft Autoruns, Process Explorer, or just analyze what avast! is displaying (repeated Web Shield detections but no file detection locally) etc. Sure anyone can use 3rd party apps for second opinion, but i wouldn't just rush for them on every single occasion. That's like coming to a Volkswagen dealership and they'd recommend you to just buy Toyota instead. It just makes no sense. Just my opinion based on observations.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

AdrianH

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 08:41:22 AM »
Dear forumers,
                           I understand this will be a rather foolish question but why normally when we post a topic of a virus infection. Most of the time , we would be recommended to follow these steps provided in this link : http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0. I mean are the 3rd party softwares really necessary , is Avast not able to perform the same tasks such as those? I'm a bit sceptical because most of my friends would ask if why we need other registry cleaner or utility software to do the job, what makes Avast special compared to the other Antivirus competitors? Hope you guys can point me out. Thank you.

Avast is no different to other AV's , once an infection has taken root you often need other tools to deal with the problem.

Much of the malware, if allowed on to a system , will turn off or interfere with the resident protection.

The tools you refer to allow the experts to see what is hiding on your system, where it is within the registry or system files.

Some of the tools allow you to regain control of your AV or antimalware program .

Others will clean certain problems , used correctly your system can often be saved.

PC shops, repair services use these tools, they just don't tell you. ;)

Malware evolves 24/7 , what was caught yesterday, is rewritten and becomes a threat tomorrow. There are 1000's of new threats created every day of the week. The other big issue is the user ....... who allowed infections/toolbars/PuP's past their protection by clicking "Yes" or "Ignore" " Exclude" ........ oops , my system is infected.

AdrianH

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 08:44:47 AM »
That has always been spinning in my mind. And i still don't understand why are some so obsessed by constantly recommending 3rd party apps to do the analysis or cleaning (making certain apps look like they have ungodly 500% detection rate). Every app will at some point miss something as nothing is 100% (not in computer or in real world). At that point, it is by far the best to do analysis by hand using apps like Microsoft Autoruns, Process Explorer, or just analyze what avast! is displaying (repeated Web Shield detections but no file detection locally) etc. Sure anyone can use 3rd party apps for second opinion, but i wouldn't just rush for them on every single occasion. That's like coming to a Volkswagen dealership and they'd recommend you to just buy Toyota instead. It just makes no sense. Just my opinion based on observations.

But not everyone has your skills , even if they used Autoruns, or PE they would not know what they were looking at.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 09:17:38 AM »
When users ask on forums what to do, they are asking for advice. How hard is it to post Autoruns screenshot or logs or the Hijack this log? That used to work just fine, but it seems no one bothers with that anymore despite being the most effective way to be sure.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

AdrianH

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 10:15:56 AM »
When users ask on forums what to do, they are asking for advice. How hard is it to post Autoruns screenshot or logs or the Hijack this log? That used to work just fine, but it seems no one bothers with that anymore despite being the most effective way to be sure.

You would know better than I, but, I think you that is not quite the case.

Looking at the tools EssexBoy and the other helpers use, those logs are very often involved.

Palebushman

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 11:02:07 AM »
Well I don't know what has happened to Avast! over the last few years :'( There was once a time you could complete the 'Contact Us' form with what ever it was that you needed to contact Avast! about and 'Boooooom' in little or no time, someone from the Avast! would offer help with your issue. Uh uh, no more :(
I wanted to "Purchase" yes........ Purchase, the latest version of Avast! but do you think I can get answer to my simple question? Now lodged on TWO tickets:-
Ticket ID: ULY-240-45584 and Ticket ID: JHN-881-26477
The simple answer is no.
So if that's the way a potential cash customer gets treated, I guess parting with money is not essential after all.  ::)

AdrianH

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 12:01:48 PM »
Well I don't know what has happened to Avast! over the last few years :'( There was once a time you could complete the 'Contact Us' form with what ever it was that you needed to contact Avast! about and 'Boooooom' in little or no time, someone from the Avast! would offer help with your issue. Uh uh, no more :(
I wanted to "Purchase" yes........ Purchase, the latest version of Avast! but do you think I can get answer to my simple question? Now lodged on TWO tickets:-
Ticket ID: ULY-240-45584 and Ticket ID: JHN-881-26477
The simple answer is no.
So if that's the way a potential cash customer gets treated, I guess parting with money is not essential after all.  ::)

If you have a simple question, why not ask it here?  You will likely get the answer you want in minutes.

Best to start your own thread with your questions whatever they are.  Customer service and tickets are not the subject of this thread.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 12:26:11 PM by AdrianH »

Palebushman

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 01:10:12 PM »
 8)Thanks for the 'Heads-Up' AdrianH, will keep your suggestions in mind. But for now, the FREE Avast! will suffice. ;)