Author Topic: Clean incoming e-mails no longer have the inserted notes.  (Read 9446 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Clean incoming e-mails no longer have the inserted notes.
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2005, 12:31:18 AM »
I do not want to confuse the issue ... but ....

It probably needs to be made clear that scanning of mail by Avast and the inserting of "clean" messages will only happen for POP3 mail.

Incredimail is a "hybrid" client.  It certainly accesses POP3 accounts and I assume that mail will be scanned by Avast in the normal way for POP3.

However, Incredimail also contains a built in reader of Hotmail messages.  It is not entirely clear whether it is an HTTP "screen-scraper" or whether it uses WebDav access (I suspect the former).  Either way, this is not POP3 mail and will not be scanned by Avast and will not have the "clean" message inserted.

Unless, that is, Avast has some changes we have not been told about.

nowvoyager

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2005, 11:30:33 AM »
I am quite certain that the inserted notes for clean incoming e-mail were visible before the major updates. The Avast tag was at the bottom of the page.

Now, the inserted notes for incoming e-mail from Hotmail, Excite and Yahoo are suppressed. They can be viewed by extending/expanding the header under "details" of the Incredimail program.

Granted, I am using SBC DSL e-mail service that allows me to access my e-mail on the internet or download it using POP. When I download it, I use Incredimail. Under details of the e-mails (Incrediamail), I can view the inserted notes of the incoming e-mail  with the Avast tag.

larry6671

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2005, 07:04:50 PM »
I am having the same problem.    I checked the boxes in the Resident Task Settings on the POP and SMTP setting to insert a note in clean messages and it works fine until I shut down my computer for the day or reboot it.    After powering back up those setting are gone.     Can anyone help?  Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2005, 04:21:23 AM »
I am having the same problem.    I checked the boxes in the Resident Task Settings on the POP and SMTP setting to insert a note in clean messages and it works fine until I shut down my computer for the day or reboot it.    After powering back up those setting are gone.     Can anyone help?  Thanks
Losing settings?
Change them and let avast! as you want.
Exit and shutdown all avast! providers (the last option in the system tray menu).
Boot  8)
The best things in life are free.

nowvoyager

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2005, 11:39:51 AM »
I am very grateful for the assistance that I have received from this forum. It has been invaluable.
I decided to take this to Avast's tech support.
I have been corresponding with Pavel Sedina, AVAST tech support, on this issue. I notified him that the problem is intermittent. Currently, the problem has returned. http:// I am seriously considering UNINSTALLING Avast until Avast Tech support finds a resolution; I am confident they will eventually.
I wonder if I will experience any conflicts or problems if I try to reinstall Avast?

Thanks,
Samuel R.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2005, 01:57:59 PM »
I wonder if I will experience any conflicts or problems if I try to reinstall Avast?
I think not... Why? Just do it. Maybe it corrects your problem with notes too.
I have no trouble with notes into MS Outlook, Outlook Express or Thunderbird. Maybe I'm lucky  ;D
There is a special feature to add notes called UseAlternateRtfSyncing that is described here here on section [MailScanner].

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2005, 03:08:30 PM »
This would seem an extreme solution to me uninstalling until Tech Support find a resolution (how would you know) for what is a minor problem of not seeing a clean note in an email and lose all the other AV protection that avast! offers.

I don't bother with clean notes in inbound messages, the avast alarm will get your attention if there is a problem. Whilst I do have insert clean notes into outbound email.
It is no big deal for a virus to have its own clean message in the body of an email to try and deceive you, so you open that attractive attachment, so I don't take anything like that at face value anyway.

To me those things lessen the importance of the insertion of clean note into an email anyway.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2005, 07:16:17 PM »
Don't forget that you will not see the inserted note in the 'Sent Items' folder of your mail program,
because avast adds the note after the mail leaves the mail program.  ;)