Author Topic: Grimefighter down for maintenance for a month?  (Read 10209 times)

luminous00

Grimefighter down for maintenance for a month?
« on: April 18, 2014, 01:26:11 AM »
I keep getting "Grimefighter is down for maintenance" when my license has been migrated to avast (from JumpShot) and states it's valid.  Any ideas?  Anybody else experience this issue?

al2

Re: Grimefighter down for maintenance for a month?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 10:07:19 PM »
I hope you have contacted support already - you paid for it after all

I've used Avast AV for a decade plus so i expect them to have the same integrity with anew product! 8)

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 02:27:20 PM »
Hi Luminous,

Would you mind opening a support ticket and including the Avast5.ini file please?

You can find this file by going to Program Data, Avast Software, Avast.

We can analyze what is happening.  Is it correct to assume that this message appears when you are trying to boot into GrimeFighter?

Thanks and apologies for the inconvenience this has caused.

GrimeFighter team

luminous00

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 03:32:00 PM »
I opened a ticket last week, QJC-307-16504, and I'm getting nowhere. This is for the Jumpshot usb that I have, not the grimefighter standalone.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 06:21:57 PM »
Extremely slow response by Avast for the mulititudes having issues with this module.

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 01:28:20 PM »
To be fair, there are certainly users that are having issues with this product and we are definitely doing our best to solve those asap.  However, there are also a lot of very satisfied customers out there for whom GrimeFighter is working really well.

But, point taken, we need to do a better job of answering user issues more quickly

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 01:31:06 PM »
I opened a ticket last week, QJC-307-16504, and I'm getting nowhere. This is for the Jumpshot usb that I have, not the grimefighter standalone.

Hi Luminous,

I will follow up on this ticket directly with Support and post back as soon as I have more details.

Davidek

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 05:51:25 PM »
To be fair, there are certainly users that are having issues with this product and we are definitely doing our best to solve those asap.  However, there are also a lot of very satisfied customers out there for whom GrimeFighter is working really well.

But, point taken, we need to do a better job of answering user issues more quickly

I for one appreciate your post and understand it's in Avast's best interest to be responsive.
However, this "Bug" as you call it is in fact making many OS unusable, that's one heck of a BUG.
Not to mention  in my opinion, the way GrimeFighter has been introduced was wrong, plain and simple.
With the multitude of Posts I read everyday, this GF should have been offered as an Alpha or Beta with EXTENSIVE information on what is does/ what is being removed and options that give the best information after process.
With all due respect to the techies/devs....Stuff just showing up on peoples systems is intrusive and imo irresponsible.

navilor

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 05:56:50 AM »
I was a beta user for Jumpshot when they were on Kickstarter and was provided a "one PC for life" subscription when Jumpshot was acquired by Avast!. Jumpshot was then renamed to Grimefighter.

I have rarely tried but since the acquisition by Avast I have been unable to use either Jumpshot or Grimefighter. What I find disappointing is that the beta version of Jumpshot was far more reliable than Grimefigher post acquisition. Having at least one month of downtime would be unacceptable were I to have paid for this product. As it is included in my account for free for one PC I am merely disappointed. I am hopeful that Avast! is able to rectify this issue soon for those affected.

The attached screenshot shows what Jumpshot reports when I run it. Avast, which I have an account with, also reports that the server is down however I am unable to access Grimefighter right now.

The relevant portion of my avast5.ini file is as follows:
[GrimeFighter]
ScanError=170
ScanRetry=0
LastScan=0
LastInfo=1398489118
Enabled=0
ValidTo=1
Seats=0
SeatsFree=0
LicenseType=GF_SRV
AutorenewalLicense=0
GraphicsCards1=PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_100A&SUBSYS_28843842&REV_A1
EnableScans=1
MinIssuesForWarning=5
ScanFrequency=7

Why it shows that it is not enabled confuses me.

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 03:30:47 PM »

I for one appreciate your post and understand it's in Avast's best interest to be responsive.
However, this "Bug" as you call it is in fact making many OS unusable, that's one heck of a BUG.
Not to mention  in my opinion, the way GrimeFighter has been introduced was wrong, plain and simple.
With the multitude of Posts I read everyday, this GF should have been offered as an Alpha or Beta with EXTENSIVE information on what is does/ what is being removed and options that give the best information after process.
With all due respect to the techies/devs....Stuff just showing up on peoples systems is intrusive and imo irresponsible.

We do provide detailed information about what we found and allow users to do quite a lot of customization of actions GrimeFighter should take, but that does come after GrimeFighter completes it's run.  But again, you make a good point about providing more up front info and that is something we are actually working on now and will include in future releases over the next few months.

But let me add one additional point, we (both the JumpShot guys and Avast) wanted to make a point of not being a "me too" product by trying to baffle people with lists of registry keys and other techie details of issues found.  For most users, that is probably more confusing than informative and borders on scareware.

About product stability, fair comment that some users are definitely facing issues.  But again, there are loads of users who aren't and we are working really hard to resolve those issues that have come up.  We aren't trying to hide from that and are open about admitting our mistakes and offering refunds.  I still believe it's a great product and over the next few weeks we will squash those bugs that have caused the majority of user issues.

Thanks for your open and direct comments Schmidthouse, they are not taken lightly.

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 03:40:14 PM »
Hi Navilor,

I am checking on your issue and will hopefully have an answer later today or tomorrow.

Thanks,

Davidek

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 05:03:28 PM »
@Davidek

I thank you openly for your time and noted concern. With information comes a decrease in frustration. :)

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 10:14:18 PM »
Davidek:Its good to have someone here talkin about grimefighter and issues people are having with it.Knowing avast is trying to improve and address the issues grimefigther is having I believe it will install some confidence in people installing grimefighter down the line,thanks.

navilor

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 04:48:05 AM »
Hi Navilor,

I am checking on your issue and will hopefully have an answer later today or tomorrow.

Thanks,

Davidek

David,

You are the best. Thank you for all of your effort on this.

Kevin

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 10:09:06 PM »
I also backed the Jumpshot project since the kickstarter days, still have my stickers, t-shirt and handy butler USB drive. Despite updating when told, whenever I attempt to boot from aforementioned USB drive I am, too, told there is server maintenance. If, however, I purchase a copy of grimefighter it works without a problem. The problem lies in the fact that with grimefighter, the username (email) and password I had associated with the Jumpshot account logs me into an account with zero perks and absolutely no licenses. A tad frustrating since I've been on board since before launch.  :-X