Author Topic: Update and Outlook Express  (Read 5391 times)

intanet

Update and Outlook Express
« on: July 09, 2005, 10:16:38 AM »
Hi,
I am running Windows XP
Intel Pentium 4 / 516mb Ram / 2.93 Ghz speed
Internet is Dial up
VSP is 7-4-05
E mail is Outlook Express
I have no other anti-virus software

I was wondering why Avast reports: "Only 6 of the 7
providers are reported running".  The explanation for Outlook\Exchange not running is that "The provider is waiting for a subsystem to start". I entered my registration number, I rebooted after install and update and I opened my email provider (Outlook Express) but the Outlook/Exchange feature is still greyed.   The Avast help section says that if you have a version higher than 4.5 (the update I installed was 4.6) and are running Windows XP, you won't have to make any special settings for E mail.  So why is it reported as not running?
Thanks for your help.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Update and Outlook Express
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 10:33:22 AM »
The Outlook/Exchange provider is (as mentioned in the manual) for Outlook/Exchange, not for Outlook Express.
I suggest you spend some time reading the manual to make yourself familiar with Avast and all the options it gives you.

ps:
Things like this are explained in not only the manual but also on this board.
Please use the search option here before asking.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 03:07:34 PM »
I was wondering why Avast reports: "Only 6 of the 7 providers are reported running". So why is it reported as not running?
As reported a lot of times, the message "The provider is waiting on the subsystem to start" will be shown there until you open MS Outlook.
The plugin will be enabled automatically after that.
Welcome to avast! forums ...  8)
The best things in life are free.

intanet

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 07:46:56 AM »
Ouch! Just for the record, I did search the forum for this answer.  You also said it gives the answer to this question in the manual. This is what the manual I have says:

"MS Outlook or Exchange clients are automatically protected by avast! and there is no need to set anything. To protect other e-mail clients, like Outlook Express or Eudora, it is necessary to change some settings to make the mail protection fully functional.
This is true up to avast! 4.5. If you use avast! 4.5 or newer and your operating system is Windows NT, 2000, XP or 2003, you don't have to do any special settings, even for other email clients. avast! 4.5 features a new method of email protection that is very easy for the user - it works completely automatically."

But anyhow, even if I did overlook something, how about you try a little sugar next time.  People have feelings...even when, like me, they come from one of the rudest cities in the world...New York!

Annette from the Bronx

P.S. Whoever wrote the second post..thanks for the welcome.  It was kind of you.

http://heiscoming.freeservers.com
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 07:50:21 AM by intanet »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 03:01:00 PM »
Annette, don't be angry... please !

Eddy has his kind of Welcoming people  ;D Sure, you are very welcome in here, just as my friend Technical already mentioned in his reply. Those little mistakes are always possible especially if you are new with all this stuff...

But... that's why we are here, to help or at least to try to help newbies like you. We are very happy to see you here, and again, please don't be angry... it's just, we are here so long time, and we already answered these same questions million of times. Sometimes it's very hard to please literaly thousands of avast! users in the same time. And we do that for free. We are not part of Alwil software, we are volounteers from all around the world, and all this is our good will... I believe.

Again... Annette, please don't be angry, and come back here ASAP. Whenever you have some question or something even if it's not related to this wonderful antivirus (see Off-Topic forum, we blab about almost anything in the universe in there  ;D ), stop by and I'm sure you'll find great friends like we all did.

Rudest city in the world ? New York ? No way... just no way. I know I don't live there, but I've visited most beautiful city in the world and believe me, if I can, I would move over there this very moment if I can...

Cheers and again... WELCOME to the best forums out there Annette !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 03:23:12 PM »
But anyhow, even if I did overlook something, how about you try a little sugar next time.  People have feelings...even when, like me, they come from one of the rudest cities in the world...New York!
Sorry intanet... My first post was not that kind too... Sometimes we want not to answer the same questions here and forget that we're not talking to the same persons  :-[
Well, after all, welcome and feel free to ask any other question. Do you have any other doubt?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 05:00:28 PM »
Hi intanet, welcome to the forums.

Yes, you will catch more flies with sugar than vinegar  ;)

I'm sure Eddy can speak for himself but I doubt there was any malice or slight intended. However, in the post you didn't mention that you had made a search of the forums with no luck.

More likely it was because we also try to educate users when possible so they learn how to use the tools available to them, avast help file, forums search, google, etc. Give a man a fish feed him for a meal - Teach a Man to fish feed him for life.

There is a lot of information on the forums, so finding your needle in the forums haystack may take time. Using the error message as the search string usually returns the most relevant information.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

intanet

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 06:30:51 AM »
sZc, David and Tech,
Appreciate your calming words. Thanks for taking the time out and for your concern.  No, I'm not angry.  It's just that lately, when someone steps on my toes, I'm saying "Ouch!"  It's new for me having been a doormat for most of my life.  Somehow it's been helping me when I do get angry; not to stay angry.
I totally get what you mean about answering the same questions over and over and forgetting you are talking to a different person each time.  I get that a lot in my line of work too which, like yo'all, I do as a volounteer also.  
No hard feelings though.  Avast! is a great program and I am thankful for all it offers for free.  Very generous. Again, thank you all for being so considerate.
Annette
P.S.  New York is a love it/hate it kind of place.  It may be rude but it does have it's charm too.
http://rants.8m.com/

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 01:16:21 PM »
That's great Annette !

I hope we'll see you posting in this forum in the future as well. Don't forget - whenever you have some doubts, we are here... no one knows everything, but when you have so many people in one "room", with huge knowledge database, someone will always find some solution. That's the power of unity and the power of friendship.

Take care and keep helping others unselfishly just like you already do... volounteers are precious.

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s