Author Topic: Detection rates between avast free and avg free please  (Read 8056 times)

Diddy

Detection rates between avast free and avg free please
« on: April 21, 2014, 11:05:03 AM »
HI I was just wanting to ask a question about antivirus software the other day I read in a thread that one of the avast forum members told the op of the thread that avast has a much higher detection rate.  That the op if he or she was not happy with avast antivirus they could go back to Avg witch has a much lower detection rate compared to avast antivirus.

What I would like to now is this how is it that avast has a much higher detection rate then Avg?  I would like to now is their somewhere where I can read this research for myself?

The reason I ask this question is because I have family members that sware by avg free and beleive very much so that their systems are being protected by avg free? 

I was also wondering should I tell my family members that avg free has a low detection rate for finding virus worms, malware and that they should switch from avg free ot Avast free  because avg does not do a very good job protecting their computers?

Please feel free to comment and give research facts on why avg is so poor in detection rates and why avast is so much higher in detection rates overall?

I would just like to understand this further since I have been a loyal avast user for 5 years.

Thanks very much avast team

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:52:38 AM by Eddy »

cavehomme2

Re: Detection rates between avast free and avg free please
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 06:40:18 PM »
This reputable test shows that Avast is worse then AVG....

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-7/janfeb-2014/

The fact is that week on week, month on month, AV detection rates go up and down for each product, so it is important to look at the overall long term trend. Unfortunately Avast's trend is downwards for the past year, I hope it does not continue and that it goes back up this year. I am not sure about AVG trends, but both these AV testing sites that you have links to will allow you to see the trends.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 06:55:14 PM »
Those tests are not absolute tests.
The results depends on the settings, the version of the av, the database with malware that is used, the OS etc. etc.

I have noticed that avast since version 2014 detects a lot more than it did before.
It also happens more and more that avast is detecting threads before other av's do.

Next time read the test results please:
Protection against 0-day malware attacks, inclusive of web and e-mail threats (Real-World Testing)
avast 90, avg 96

Detection of widespread and prevalent malware discovered in the last 4 weeks (the AV-TEST reference set)
avast 98, avg 97

Use cases: visiting websites, downloading software, installing and running programs and copying data
avast 3s, avg 4s

As Meatloaf already sang(?), two out of three ain't bad.
And avast scores higher in 2 out of the 3 tests than avg.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 07:17:40 PM »
It is a known fact that "av-test(dot)org" do not show reliable test results.
Read this about av-tests(dot)org http://eugene.kaspersky.com/2013/05/09/av-test-certification-devalued/

edit: additional
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 07:29:03 PM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 07:35:58 PM »
the onus is on the user to carefully investigate the actual results of each individual test
Exactly what I said :)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 12:28:10 AM »
Found this other link about how to read test results...http://blog.kaspersky.com/antivirus-comparisons/
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

waking

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 12:00:47 PM »
It is a known fact that "av-test(dot)org" do not show reliable test results.
Read this about av-tests(dot)org http://eugene.kaspersky.com/2013/05/09/av-test-certification-devalued/

That's a misrepresentation of what that Kaspersky blog post says. It is about the awarding of certification levels, not about test results. What Kaspersky objects to is awarding the same level of *certification* to products which have widely divergent scores in the tests. That in itself shows that Kaspersky holds that the test results *should* be taken seriously and that awards should be based on those results. Read the closing remarks:

<start quote - emphases added>
 i. With this new certification process, we do NOT RECOMMEND users take the AV-TEST
    certification into consideration when selecting a solution to protect their home
    computers.

ii. However, we believe it is OK to take into consideration the results of the separate
    PROTECTION and PERFORMANCE categories
and, of course, the promised REPAIR test.   
    Again, we don't disagree with the methodology of their individual tests ... we are
    taking issue with what scores are required in these tests to achieve "certification."
<end quote>

juuki

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 12:23:27 PM »
There is fact that avast! free have not so perfect results in "file detection test" (by http://www.av-comparatives.org/) comparing to other top 10 av products especially in last test (in attachment). Also bad resaults in last 2 month by http://www.av-test.org/
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:25:12 PM by juuki »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 03:29:00 PM »
You can post links to as many test sites as you want. The only test I really care about is how avast protects
me in my day to day surfing. That is the "real world" I care about.